Page 190 of 659 FirstFirst ... 90140180183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197200240290 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    We paid 40m for Oxo, 50-70 for Keita, Lovren and Lallana were both overpriced, Firmino for 30m was considered crazy at least by some here in Germany and iirc by a few in England as well...

It's not wide of the mark at all.

We do sell players to fund some of these, that much is true.
    As I said technically true BUT only on the 2 counts... The inference is well wide of the mark IMO. Like saying loads when you mean 2..

For a kick off the OX took a pay cut to join us and he cost closer to 35. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41098529

Keita was signed a YEAR before he even arrived and that was most likely because any competition would have ruled us out. Lovren and Lallana were both overpriced Premier League players Bali - not THE ONE & ONLY type of player in price or quality.

I count 2 times that we went out after our man regardless of competition.. and lets be clear here - it likely doesn't happen unless Barca get fleeced for Couts.

I would not underestimate the Klopp factor in all of this.
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd September 2020 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Prior to winning the European cup and Premier league yes. The "we're skint" mantra is frankly insulting. Every club has bills to play,staff etc.
    That documentary the other night more IR less said the club went downhill when we stopped adding quality to a winning squad.
    FSG have currently not done this for two years. If it doesn't happen this season that will be 3 years.
    If we cant add more quality without selling some family silver after back to back majors we never will.
    I like a lot of what FSG have done, they've turned the club around but a lot of it has turned out pure luck too. Trent,Robbo and Gomez all coming good alongside a player who'll go down as the premier league's best centre back was not design and it saved them a mint.
    Noticeable that many haven't picked up on this key point.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I'd say a crap Neco Williams is better than an injured Clyne. Same as Wilson for an injured Shaqiri.

I don't know why Bournemouth stopped playing Wilson as they slid to their doom but they would have been relegated a lot sooner without his goals.
    To be fair i'd play wilson over shaqiri probably fits the system more.

He needs to go.

Not that we'd replace him with anyone decent, probably count on 17 year old Elliot instead

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    Yeah that's when we get Mbappe on a free
    We won't be able to afford his wages

lols

More skint than everton.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Prior to winning the European cup and Premier league yes. The "we're skint" mantra is frankly insulting. Every club has bills to play,staff etc.
    That documentary the other night more IR less said the club went downhill when we stopped adding quality to a winning squad.
    FSG have currently not done this for two years. If it doesn't happen this season that will be 3 years.
    If we cant add more quality without selling some family silver after back to back majors we never will.
    I like a lot of what FSG have done, they've turned the club around but a lot of it has turned out pure luck too. Trent,Robbo and Gomez all coming good alongside a player who'll go down as the premier league's best centre back was not design and it saved them a mint.
    Trent was already there, sure but what part of the rest wasn't design? They identified Gomez as a wonderful prospect and bought him. They saw value in Robbo and bought him. They saw that VVD's amazing and bought him. Why is those transfers working out luck? I mean I'm sure there's an element of luck to it, but surely identifying the talent and sticking with it is not "pure luck"?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I dont get giving Mbappe 500/600K a week when hes not really achieved anything yet. Sure hes has won the league in France. But Popeye could win that, even before hes eaten his spinach
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    As I said technically true BUT only on the 2 counts...

The inference is well wide of the mark IMO. Like saying loads when you mean 2..
    The rest of your post very much argues against this, which I find a bit baffling.

For a kick off the OX took a pay cut to join us and he cost closer to 35. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41098529
    Fine, 35 - could still be easily regarded as far too much for an overpriced injury prone Englishman. I like him, don't get me wrong, but he'll be the first to agree he's not exactly been value for money. And what's your point? That landing a player we wanted while negotiating his price down is a bad thing...?

Keita was signed a YEAR before he even arrived and that was most likely because any competition would have ruled us out.
    Again, what point do you think you're making? Are you arguing that they fail to beat the competition by... beating the competition? Are you arguing they should have waited a year and paid more for him when more teams stepped up their interest the summer after? Or that they should have dished out the extra... well who knows many millions really, since RBL really didn't want to sell that summer.

Lovren and Lallana were both overpriced Premier League players Bali - not THE ONE & ONLY type of player in price or quality.
    N-no. They weren't world beaters. No one is talking about that. They were players identified as a priority by the club and we paid good money to get them. Liverpool (at least for as long as I've been alive) have never signed a true world-class superstar with all the media hype and baggage that comes with that.

Also Firmino and Fabinho kind of fall into this category too btw. As does Wijnaldum.

And it's not what we're discussing, is it? You're moving the goal posts. This is my original post:

Apparently not to us. If he were that much of a priority, we'd probably be ready to pay the necessary money, like we've done time and time again in the past when we really wanted a player.
    It's not about signing Messi, it's about signing a player that's deemed a priority. And neither VVD or Alisson were considered among the world's top 2-3 in their position when we signed them. I'm sure we had alternatives scouted as well, we just really wanted them two.

To this you replied:

Possibly ONLY with VVD and Alisson - so the "time and time again" is JUST about true but the inference is that we do it regularly which is beyond wide of the mark.

It must also be stressed that in both "time and time again"s we needed to offload one of our best assets to do so
    No mention of player quality in either post as far as I can tell. Stick to the topic at hand and don't muddle the discussion. If you want to talk about the quality of player we've signed since FSG have been in charge, we can do that. Certainly a number of signings leave a lot to be desired.

I count 2 times that we went out after our man regardless of competition.. and lets be clear here - it likely doesn't happen unless Barca get fleeced for Couts.
    W-why are you bringing competition into this? For which of those players did we face significant competition bar VVD and to some extent Keita, though... not exactly I guess? I'll do one better - have we ever faced very significant competition for any of our FSG signings? That's their MO, no? Identify value where noone else does. Don't get into bidding wars and have alternatives lined up if you see yourself dragged into one - see the Tsimikas transfer for reference.

I would not underestimate the Klopp factor in all of this.
    Neither would I. As any manager, he's instrumental to his teams' successes and failures. He, perhaps, slightly more so.

The point is: if we want a player and deem them important or unique enough, we spend the money up to some predetermined bar we've set based on our evaluation of the player. We won't be fleeced and always have a backup plan.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 3rd September 2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

For clarity, I do completely agree we've never (bar VVD) faced stern competition from other top clubs and still pipped them to a transfer.

That's not our MO and I quite like it.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Trent was already there, sure but what part of the rest wasn't design? They identified Gomez as a wonderful prospect and bought him. They saw value in Robbo and bought him. They saw that VVD's amazing and bought him. Why is those transfers working out luck? I mean I'm sure there's an element of luck to it, but surely identifying the talent and sticking with it is not "pure luck"?
    Its luck they turned out the best defensive unit in the world. Nobody can tell me they thought Robbo was going to be this good and that's no disrespect to him at all. If anyone had an inkling he would have sold for a stack more than 8m.
    Trent already being there was luck too, lucky for us hes going nowhere and will most likely spend his career at the club.
    Luck that Pep didnt think VvD was worth 50m.
    Gomez maybe but it took a while.
    A lot of fate in that set there.
    Like I said a lot of their changes and implementation has been good and planned but theyve fell on their feet massively on the pitch because of Klopp and the biggest windfall of all was bagging the club at a knockdown price.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be backtracking if we've signed a couple of quality players but if they dont a lot of fans will be scratching their heads at their strategy after winning the 2 biggest prizes in football that were funded by selling our prized assets at the time (which obviously turned out the right move).

Klopp himself has said he learnt his lesson when making big changes to a winning squad at Dortmund. Last year he demonstrated the importance of continuity for our success. For all Real Madrid's big spending, the way they seemed to operate was to get the best in each position, as they saw it, and stick with them through the prime of their career. So, if he thinks the squad is balanced, fit and happy, I don't think he will be asking for big signings.

He wanted back up for Robbo, our world class left back who adds a mere £7 million to our net spend on all these charts, and he got a decent looking young one in. So if you want him to make big signings, you'll have to imagine where he sees the weak spots, as opposed to where you see them. If he likes Keita and Minamino, the squad is actually still growing.

By my reckoning, we look weak with an injury to Mo or Mané, so I'm wondering why we aren't signing someone there. But I wondered that last season and we all but broke the record for winning.

You'd imagine we are weak if Virgil gets injured, but any team would be.

If we signed Thiago and someone like Sarr or Daka, the squad would be overflowing - maybe he wants to actually play Curtis Jones and introduce Elliot. What a novelty - developing your current squad members.

Isn't the squad balance more important than the net spend?