Page 194 of 659 FirstFirst ... 94144184187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    I think I remember reading somewhere, and before Klopp joined us, that the team got burned out with the sheer effort required to maintain that level of performance.
    There's a huge difference between the press we utilise at Liverpool and the Dortmund press at that time.

We pick and choose moments to press for starters, plus the training is tailored in such a way that we "peak" for a while during the season. We also are quite good at game management in that we don't mind letting the opposition have a bit of the ball and sitting in as we trust the likes of Fabinho/Van Dijk/Alisson. As such the raw intensity of our matches is controlled a bit.

At Dortmund on the other hand the press was a lot more relentless. Players came off the pitch having left almost everything out on the pitch every single game. That wasn't sustainable in quite the same way as what we are transitioning into (more possesion-based than 17/18 for example) for the future as Klopp, like all good coaches, is evolving his tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    It may also be Klopp's modus operandi
    Given that we've signed the likes of Alisson and VVD during his tenure, I don't think he would turn his nose up at being offered a large transfer kitty and being able to sign a proven, top quality player or two.

Klopp is capable of being successful without spending loads (the main reason why I think FSG hired him), but that doesn't necessarily mean that he prefers to work on a very limited budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    There's a huge difference between the press we utilise at Liverpool and the Dortmund press at that time.

We pick and choose moments to press for starters, plus the training is tailored in such a way that we "peak" for a while during the season. We also are quite good at game management in that we don't mind letting the opposition have a bit of the ball and sitting in as we trust the likes of Fabinho/Van Dijk/Alisson. As such the raw intensity of our matches is controlled a bit.

At Dortmund on the other hand the press was a lot more relentless. Players came off the pitch having left almost everything out on the pitch every single game. That wasn't sustainable in quite the same way as what we are transitioning into (more possesion-based than 17/18 for example) for the future as Klopp, like all good coaches, is evolving his tactics.
    I think he has learned from his time at Dortmund and the failings there.
    For his modus operandi I think he now knows better how to choose not only a footballer but also an athlete.
    I think he also knows how important the back room staff are.
    Those players need an awful lot of looking after.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Given that we've signed the likes of Alisson and VVD during his tenure, I don't think he would turn his nose up at being offered a large transfer kitty and being able to sign a proven, top quality player or two.

Klopp is capable of being successful without spending loads (the main reason why I think FSG hired him), but that doesn't necessarily mean that he prefers to work on a very limited budget.
    My personal opinion but I think he prefers to work on a limited budget.
    I regard him as being somewhat 'working class' in the Shankly mould.
    I think he needs to work on a 4/5 year cycle to keep it going ie players will only stay 4/5 years then move on.
    Shanks tried to make them last much longer and ultimately got so disappointed.

Just for fun as an aside - anyone remember a £53m bid for Nabil Fekir?

Remember NOT buying Pepe for £72m?

How many more points do people think we would have gotten than 97 had we had Fekir, or 99 had we had Pepe?

Are we now quite glad we don't have that needless £125m hole in our accounts (on transfer fees alone, imagine the wages) given that we probably wouldn't be anywhere better off?

Next time we do spend wisely on genuinely improving the side, bear in mind that it will have been manageable due to not needlessly overshooting.

"Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, it should be to buy wins".

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I dunno - he won't be playing for whoever managed them before - he'll be playing for Carlo Anche-fucking-lotti. He might know how to get the best of him.
    With all due respect has been a fantastic manager but now past his best. Why else go to Everton?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    apparently we're expecting a Georginio Wijnaldum bid...

Not that I want to lose him, he's a top midfielder who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

But I guess we'd go for thiago if that happened.
    2 goals he scored in the C.L semi final against Barcelona highlighted his best Liverpool career.
    I guess many Barcelona fans do not want him

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Just for fun as an aside - anyone remember a £53m bid for Nabil Fekir?

Remember NOT buying Pepe for £72m?

How many more points do people think we would have gotten than 97 had we had Fekir, or 99 had we had Pepe?

Are we now quite glad we don't have that needless £125m hole in our accounts (on transfer fees alone, imagine the wages) given that we probably wouldn't be anywhere better off?

Next time we do spend wisely on genuinely improving the side, bear in mind that it will have been manageable due to not needlessly overshooting.

"Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, it should be to buy wins".
    Sorry - again this might seem fun Sid but it is just selective nonsense.

How do you know for instance that had we not bought Fekir we would not have been able to compete better on more than one front this season? How do you know that we might not have had enough to open up Atletico in better fashion? Beat Chelsea in the FA Cup?

Not saying we would BUT it is easy to point to our incredible points haul in the league and say - see we shouldn’t have brought any more quality in - IMO that is a super short term view - not to mention, a bit thick really... No?

Here’s a question for you:
    Did we improve as a team this season over last season...?

EDIT... and try - if you can to get your answer below the 1000 word limit..
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th September 2020 at 08:57 AM.

I'll say yes.

We yielded a slightly higher points tally despite a worse goal difference, which suggests we were more efficient in our capacity to grind out wins.

Naturally as a fan of comfortable wins I am hoping we can find ways to get more of them, as opposed to 1-goal margin wins, but the capacity to (cliche incoming) grind out wins is the mark of Champions.

The League is the Bread and Butter - I appreciate what you're saying about Cup comps but there is more luck involved with those than there is a 38-game League, so points gained are a better yardstick for me - the Atletico game is also a weird case study in general anyway as, if we got off chances created/chances taken/possession we really "should" have won and it becomes a non-discussion.

But in short, for me, yes, we improved.

Fair enough - I don’t think there was any genuine discernible difference to be honest.

We got 99 points - had some fortune along the way - City had an appalling run by their standards - Chelsea and Arsenal in transition, United under Ole continued and Spurs minus Poch. When viewed in this light many would probably say the 97 and CL win was a greater achievement up against a 98 point City with all that pressure. As said for me - there was no real difference. Perhaps a slight drop in quality but a slight improvement in grit - a galvanised determination to get that title after missing out by a point.?

The real point being - we actually stood pretty still. 2 points better league but exiting the CL too early. No surprise really when no additions to the squad are made.

What is strange to me is that you seem to be actively advocating us NOT looking to strengthen...? I mean your defence of this nonsensical stance would be most welcome in a shareholder boardroom but as a fan... Really.? What exactly are you supporting the club for? Best revenue streams? Biggest profit margin? Favourite sponsor..?

All feels a little like business school football to me.
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th September 2020 at 09:19 AM.