Page 196 of 659 FirstFirst ... 96146186189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    OK - but this is all hypothesis..what, if and maybe. If you are honestly suggesting that we are so good we can't find anywhere to improve then you are out on your own.

You say we have cover for every position and I cannot agree. Ditto any of the front 3. Where is cover for Trent? how about Hendo - who has become so integral? We have players who c an come on but they do not function at nearly the same level. Why not address that now before we are caught cold?
    I said we had cover in almost every position. I know you may find that semantic, but these are the sorts of details that can detract from a good discussion.

The front three are covered by Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino, Elliott, Brewster and at a push Ox just now. Naturally Brewster probably goes out on loan and we can talk about who plays where and whether or not the quality of the squad depth is good enough, but numerically we definitely have cover.

Trent is a right-back. Williams can play there, Milner can too at a push, Gomez can be pushed out there too.

Henderson is a midfielder. Wijnaldum (until he leaves) Jones, Milner, Fabinho, Keita, Ox are all midfielders. That's 7 players for 3 spots, not including more experimental options we might fall back on.

You want players who function on the same level as our starters - who has that outside of City or Real Madrid, really? We target players that are fit more often than not - having players that are of the same quality on the bench would be an incredible expense that would ironically enough leave us in a financial situation where we can't upgrade the first-team!

Also why the fixation with Pepe..? What about that Portuguese fella at United - Fernandes..? Is he shite too?
    Ah yes, had almost forgotten that United accumulated 66 points in 18/19, went out, bought roughly £200m worth it players and skyrocketed from 66 points to an almighty 66 points in 19/20.

Ole's at the Wheel.

And they make top 4 without Fernandes? And he wouldn't make us stronger..? Come on man. What you are advocating can only be tentatively defended as long as we are the best team in the world & we need to be winning more than one major a season for that to be a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I said we had cover in almost every position. I know you may find that semantic, but these are the sorts of details that can detract from a good discussion.

The front three are covered by Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino, Elliott, Brewster and at a push Ox just now. Naturally Brewster probably goes out on loan and we can talk about who plays where and whether or not the quality of the squad depth is good enough, but numerically we definitely have cover.

Trent is a right-back. Williams can play there, Milner can too at a push, Gomez can be pushed out there too.

Henderson is a midfielder. Wijnaldum (until he leaves) Jones, Milner, Fabinho, Keita, Ox are all midfielders. That's 7 players for 3 spots, not including more experimental options we might fall back on.

You want players who function on the same level as our starters - who has that outside of City or Real Madrid, really? We target players that are fit more often than not - having players that are of the same quality on the bench would be an incredible expense that would ironically enough leave us in a financial situation where we can't upgrade the first-team!
    Erm...500 words when 5 will do does not make for what I call a good discussion - and numerically Brentford have a squad that can win the FA Cup..!! Nobody can know IF a player we bring in can be at the same level as some of our starters - but personally in some cases I want better and surely...SURELY we should be trying??... Oh the shock of it...
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th September 2020 at 11:43 AM.

We already have continual improvement. So it’s an urge for the kind of improvement we perceive is needed over what the manager decides is needed. But the anger is directed at the owners.

Again it’s the same question - is Klopp supported or not?

The point about Pepé, Steveo, is that he was a player the fans were calling to spend £70 million on - true or false? The fans decided he was needed. Who’s the better judge?

Erm...500 words when 5 will do does not make for what I call a good discussion - and numerically Brentford have a squad that can win the FA Cup..!! Nobody can know IF a player we bring in can be at the same level as some of our starters - but personally in some cases I want better and surely...SURELY we should be trying??... Oh the shock of it...
    In Sid's defense I can never have any sort of reasonable discussion with you unless I specify everything in the smallest detail, since I write one thing and you think another. You write something else and I read it completely differently. I have to try to keep you to your exact position, otherwise you move the goal posts. That's what I see anyway, could be wrong. Maybe he feels similarly?

You've more than once alluded that it might be a side effect of English being my second language though, so that might play a role, though I don't seem to have the issue with most other posters.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 4th September 2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

If you don't like how I talk, don't engage *shrug* You ask me plenty of questions, I provide my answers.

Having an option as good as our first-teamer in all positions isn't possible or sustainable. 08/09 Liverpool didn't have Torres up top and sub Drogba on after 75 minutes.

Our back-up option of N'gog was of course too far the other way, ie simply not anywhere near good enough. The optimistic balance is somewhere in-between, as we need the quality drop not to be massive, but affording the wages of someone who is being overpaid for their number of minutes played doesn't work.

It's a balancing act. I personally think we are balancing it quite well, you clearly think we're not. Call it what you will.

Well one thing is for sure, this season will prove if FSG was right not to invest much at all last few seasons
    We shall see.

Have a bad feeling but that's just me we'll probably win everything

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Well one thing is for sure, this season will prove if FSG was right not to invest much at all last few seasons
    We shall see.
    Why this one in particular?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Why this one in particular?
    We either stay on top or fall down after failing to invest and freshen up a bit while on top, with other clubs getting better (on paper so far)

and like I said it's been a few seasons now.

I think it's pretty damn important when you're on top to stay there, and it's been so long for us since we've been in this position, to not invest yeah.. hopefully it won't matter.

Stinks of complacency