Page 278 of 659 FirstFirst ... 178228268271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285288328378 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Don't see why selling Torres was a mistake.
    He was messing about in that last season with us
    I remember seeing Carragher yelling at him about his movement (or lack of it) and Torres gesturing back at him.
    He wanted off and also seemed past his best owing to injury or otherwise
    Torres stats
    Liverpool
    07-09 116 appearances 72 goals, fantastic
    10-11 26 appearances 9 goals, mediocre
    Chelsea
    172 appearances 45 goals, poor
    Atletico Madrid
    150 appearances 37 goals, poor

Kenny sold him end of Jan for £50m and also sold Babel for £5.8m who was poor
    In came Suarez £22.8m and Andy Carroll £35m

Carrolls stats
    Newcastle
    09-11 62 appearances 30 goals
    Fell off a seat or something like that at time of signing and so got injured for quite a spell upon joining - not good!
    I thought Kenny spent a lot of effort developing Carroll but it just never worked out - when he appeared to be coming good Kenny never seemed to pick him regularly.
    Signed for Liverpool at age 22
    Appearances 58 goals 11
    Now aged 31 with total career stats of
    appearances 322 goals 79
    It was a fookin bar stool he fell off the cnut!
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

I think Kenny didnt make a mistake with Carroll. There was always potential there. It was his attitude and injury record that is/was the problem. He never wanted to even sign for us.
    Downing was a mistake but at the time he was an international regular.. The signings were over priced. But you cant blame a manager for that. Its the person that deals with the buying and selling.Ie Comoli he was throwing around money like confetti.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    It was a fookin bar stool he fell off the cnut!
    Of course it was a barstool. where else would Carroll have been?? in a fucking pub. he wouldnt have fallen down stairs.. tripped over some kids toys they left laying about. Or fell over a curb..It was fuckng barstool.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Of course it was a barstool. where else would Carroll have been?? in a fucking pub. he wouldnt have fallen down stairs.. tripped over some kids toys they left laying about. Or fell over a curb..It was fuckng barstool.
    He was an immense raw talent when we signed him.
    Roman's ridiculous offer for Torres was too hard to refuse.
    We did not lose out financially or player wise.
    My memories of Carroll are that header in the FA cup final and that header for England.
    Not a boy any more, shame his career never quite worked out for him.

That brace against City should not get overlooked.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    He was an immense raw talent when we signed him.
    Roman's ridiculous offer for Torres was too hard to refuse.
    We did not lose out financially or player wise.
    My memories of Carroll are that header in the FA cup final and that header for England.
    Not a boy any more, shame his career never quite worked out for him.
    Regarding Torres, i kinda understand why he left. He wanted to win things and he did.I was upset when he left. But time moves on.
    He has said how he thought LFC was more of a home than Chelsea to him.
    Yeah Carrol had huge potential.And the header in the cup final looked over the line to me. But no goal line technology then.

Regarding Torres, i kinda understand why he left. He wanted to win things and he did.I was upset when he left. But time moves on.
    Yeah Carrol had huge potential.And the header in the cup final looked over the line to me. But no goal line technology then.
    He was past his best and the stats bear that out - and he wanted off!
    It was good business selling him.

Looks like Luis is in a spot of bother in Italy..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54250454

Yeah Carrol had huge potential. And the header in the cup final looked over the line to me. But no goal line technology then.
    Mascherano said a similar thing in comparing his career at Barcelona to his time with us.
    That despite all the titles and successes he enjoyed while at Barcelona, it never really felt a footballing "home" to him the way his time at Liverpool felt and that it was the time he most enjoyed his playing career the best.

And it somewhat dovetails with what Thiago said was part of what influenced him in making his decision to come here, which was that he talked to Coutinho and Xabi both of whom he was teammates with at Bayern and that both couldn't be more complimentary of the club. In fact it was such a big factor in his decision that as we're now learning, he turned down the chance of an offer to go to Barcelona who were also keen to bring him to their club (Although to be fair, given the state of their club now, that's not much of a stretch for a player to choose against going there.)

So even despite how acrimonious some player exits are from the club, it seems like it almost always leaves a deep and positive impression with most who come to play here.
    Even Moreno who got a lot of stick from fans a lot of times here said the best part of his playing career will always be his time with Liverpool.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    But a little over 11 years ago we were the best rated side in Europe.

WHY is this so hard to grasp.?

It is very easy to have a positive outlook towards most owners when compared with the cowboys. FSG have done well in some areas and only ok in others. They have learned on the job and made an incredible signing...the day they bagged Klopp - all credit due. They have also had many other positive effects vs the cowboys. Not loading us with debt for one. BUT they have also been underwhelming in other areas: the stadium is only marginally bigger/better than it was when they took over. Still after all the years where we lost out to United as they expanded and expanded - we have barely closed that gap at all. We are also often light on transfers, choosing to factor in future sale potential over instant impact. Klopp finally managed to bag 2 key players he really wanted but it came at the cost of losing a creative jewel. Yes we did great in the wake of that but still only have the 2 major trophies to show for it.

These are the issues some have - others - like CC wonder WHY we can’t possibly go for an Mbappe... and that too is a fair question. Should we simply just accept that we cannot compete for certain players ...? I don’t like that personally but - if so fine - but again people have the right to challenge that view.
    The new stand stands out well from the rest of the ground, whilst fitting in well, if you get what i mean. Impressive structure. New training complex too.

Only 1 Pl & 1 CL - not a bad haul considering so few british clubs have won the CL. My guess we win at least 1 of them again this year and a big double shouldnt be beyond us.

Lovren out - Fab to CB and Thiago in midfield
    Lallana out - Jota in
    We didnt lose the little the shit, he left of his own volition and a bad back. A sale and fee few people thought was even possible

"Wonder WHY" oh deary me, a year plus of posting about how we can sign mbappe, how we can afford to do it, pages about why we are the best destination in europe and you have the temerity to say i wonder why, its on and just a matter of time before we liberate Mbappe