Page 3 of 659 FirstFirst 123456789101353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

What about a free transfer for Quaresma, nineteenx? He’s playing in the Japanese third division if I’m not mistaken and still only 43 years old. Could do a job for us coming in off the left wing when Mané is at AFCON.

I'm not too fussed about signing a cm this summer when we already have

Hendo
    Gini
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Ox
    Jones
    And possibly Milner still here

I'd be happy with Werner and a lb. I think we could have a real player with Jones and I wouldn't like to see his progress halted

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I don't think we're quite there yet, we've needed an additional top class forward for 2 seasons now, the drop off has been too great, Bobby picked up an injury last season from playing every game, Mane's picked up one this season, the amount of games players play in internationals mean they don't get any rest, we can't carry on as we are, we absolutely have to add that additional top class forward this summer, one in one out, Sturridge left, we never replaced him

We've got Lallana and Shaq leaving in the summer, two out, two in and midfield wise Milner turns 35 next year and Gini and Hendo 31. We need to be building for our long term future and sustainability and making sure all the elements are there for continued success and continuation of the incredible dressing room and mentality and we need the midfielders in to develop that same mentality and learn it from our existing players now and need to look to get players in who offer the attributes that make everything work and ones who can see us raise our levels even further and give us even more different ways to win games and play differently against different opposition.

Players with Hendo's attributes and the potential to be as good or better with more experience over time working with him and learning from him and our other midfielders, just as Lucas learned from Alonso and Mascherano and Hendo learned a lot from Lucas, and players that fit that criteria are incredibly rare indeed, Soumare is one of them

Long term planning and continuity is absolutely essential for sustained success, poor long term planning or the absence of it, or being too tight with the purse strings trying to rake in as much profit as possible instead of investing in the squad for the success to continue and revenue streams to grow even more are elements that can end a team's dominance or cut short the period of dominance they could sustain
    Lallana and Shaq to be replaced with Grujic and Wilson coming back from loan perhaps? The amount we have seen of both of them this season, I don't think there'd be much need to spend a fortune on bringing in replacements for them if we already have options on the books.

I see your point about the age profiles of Gini, Hendo and Milly though - we need to make sure those guys are not only being used sensibly in terms of their game time, but that they are passing on their knowledge and experience to players while they are still here. I'm not sure that we already have their heirs-apparent on the books beyond Curtis Jones; Chirivella maybe has a chance to make it - he has certainly performed pretty well in the chances he's had this season. But we are currently pretty well stocked for midfielders.

Regarding the front three, yes it is a pretty big drop off from Mané, Salah and Firmino to their backups, but that is more to do with how good they are rather than any shortcomings in the bench players. The ACoN does throw a bit of a spanner in the works though, but again I would be reluctant to spend too big to cover us for a period of only a few weeks effectively.

@19 Hendo and Gini turn 30 in 2020, Gini only turned 29 in November.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC vs PFC View Post
    Some persistent rumours this past week that involve us going after Havertz and/or Werner. Almost certainly lazy journalism but I'm a sucker for it anyway.

Also saw one that we might sell Lallana to Brendo and Leicester as we can activate a 1 year extension on his contract.
    Tbh who knows what the fuck will happen

I'm all for signing Mbappe as I think Klopp can work with him and develop him massively.

Could be a case of him adding where he can get the right type of player.

Left back and a world class attacker who can play across the front 3 would do me.

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post

Hendo
    Gini
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Ox
    Jones

I'd be happy with Werner and a lb. I think we could have a real player with Jones and I wouldn't like to see his progress halted
    Wouldn't be surprised if that's how it pans out in the summer, there won't be any mega signings unless one of the front 3 goes.........which hopefully won't happen and Jones to replace Lallana.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post

Hendo
    Gini
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Ox
    Jones

From what I've seen of Jones in the cups he is nowhere near ready to play in any midfield slot in Prem games or Europe, the cup and U23's is definitely his level, it is hugely apparent that he's used to operating at LFWD because that's where he ends up, leaving a gaping hole where he's supposed to be at LCM far too often, another local lad who had aspirations of being the next Gerrard, he's not nor will he ever be.

Also, look at your list, Keita will be away through a crucial period for as many as 8 games next season, as will Mane and Mo, and as we're likely to sign one forward Oxlade will probably play in one of the forward positions in their absence alongside Bobby and the new forward so we're left with just 4 CM's for a position we'll need to rest and rotate in and if we have a couple of tweaks that mean players are out during that period, we're in trouble
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 11th February 2020 at 05:10 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Clungeman View Post
    Lallana and Shaq to be replaced with Grujic and Wilson coming back from loan perhaps? The amount we have seen of both of them this season, I don't think there'd be much need to spend a fortune on bringing in replacements for them if we already have options on the books.

I see your point about the age profiles of Gini, Hendo and Milly though - we need to make sure those guys are not only being used sensibly in terms of their game time, but that they are passing on their knowledge and experience to players while they are still here. I'm not sure that we already have their heirs-apparent on the books beyond Curtis Jones; Chirivella maybe has a chance to make it - he has certainly performed pretty well in the chances he's had this season. But we are currently pretty well stocked for midfielders.

Regarding the front three, yes it is a pretty big drop off from Mané, Salah and Firmino to their backups, but that is more to do with how good they are rather than any shortcomings in the bench players. The ACoN does throw a bit of a spanner in the works though, but again I would be reluctant to spend too big to cover us for a period of only a few weeks effectively.
    I think it's recruiting for immediate contribution and the long term, Wilson isn't of the level we need, I've watched a lot of Bournemouth games this season to keep an eye on him, he's a midtable player if we can get 25m plus for him I would take it all day long, but I'd be looking for 35m considering he's English and Premier League proven for clubs of a certain level which carries a premium. We got offers of 30m for Grujic last summer, again, I'd bite their hands off, good player, but suffers from persistent niggles and we wouldn't buy a player with that history and we could sell him and only need a 10m top up to bring in Soumare who will be a far better player, has that incredible dynamic box to box natural fitness that is very rare and only Hendo has in midfield in our squad, has an impeccable injury free record and can be with us for 10 years or more.

While I think Soumare is perfect and essential to contribute immediately and for the long term, would make us a lot stronger and ensure we can always field a midfield with those incredible levels of drive and natural fitness and his type of player are a VERY rare breed, Ruiz is the one for me who would be a real evolution player. His skill sets and being left footed would add to the evolution of our play considerably and create so many more options for winning games in different ways and playing different ways against different opposition to do so, if we added him to our current midfield options, not one person would be talking about KDB at UAE FC

You can't stand still in football, if there's a chance to secure very rare players for the long term relatively cheaply given the players you are moving on and the chance to sign a 23 year old who in combination with what you already have can help hugely evolve and develop your team and options, again, relatively cheaply considering players who will move on, then you really have to take it, you snooze you lose

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    What about a free transfer for Quaresma, nineteenx? He’s playing in the Japanese third division if I’m not mistaken and still only 43 years old. Could do a job for us coming in off the left wing when Mané is at AFCON.
    OK, I'll address this, I have several times, but I'll address it again, players who we don't sign who make bad career choices and don't have managers capable of getting the very best out of them does not reflect on the value they would have been to us and the player they could have been, with the right manager in the right team could he have been an exceptional player rather than a player who had some exceptional games and too many ordinary ones? Absolutely - Even with his 1 in 5 exceptional to ordinary ratio would he have still been a far better player for us than any single one of the players we had at ALM in Rafa's system? All day long

If Newcastle, the Manc or Chelsea were to sign Soumare do I think he would evolve to become as incredible a player as he would in our system learning from and supported by the players we currently have and developing the mentality they have and playing for Jurgen? Of course he bloody wouldn't

So, maybe, stop being an ass

It takes more than talent to be a top player..You need to be good professional on and off the pitch. and you need to be able to handle the pressure that is placed on you ,there have been loads of players who have looked world class and never made it to their full potential.
    We see how pressure effects the likes of Man-united. they were once on top now they are being forced to follow and every mistake they make is highlighted 10 fold.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century