Page 38 of 659 FirstFirst ... 283132333435363738394041424344454888138538 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Putting it down to getting more money at Chelsea is taking away from the fact he didn't fancy the challenge of getting a game at Liverpool.
    The Athletic said he was happy to come here and start as a sub, so much so that his backup plan was to stay at Leipzig another year. Then the club told him they'd need the money this summer so I guess he started listening to offers.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Does anyone know what the income will be this or next season? No, because we are still waiting to see exactly how irrational government policy is going to be going forward.

Klopp has included this point in his message about signings. It's clearly a factor in decision making.

So, given this problem, are we hoping the club throws caution to the wind and spends big, fulfilling the fantasies of the most boyish supporters, or would we rather wait and see which clubs expose themselves financially to significant risk of bankruptcy in the quest to catch up with us?
    Definitely see your point there but theres also the other side. I along with you and others think FSG have ran the club very well in pretty much every aspect but there is an allusion to this being another summer without investment in the squad with what should be a first teamer or close to that.
    I'm personally not arsed about Werner at all but I am arsed if the party line is "we cant afford it".
    If that's the stance after winning the two biggest prizes on offer in succession then its disappointing.
    Obviously the pandemic is having an effect but if the others go all out it will be much harder for us to stay ahead of the pack because Chelsea,City and Utd arent going bankrupt any time soon.

Fair play to the owners for looking after the club in these uncertain times. What's the point in going out splashing out loads of cash on players that won't make the starting line up when we've got good enough players (both experienced and prospect). I seems like they've looked into the prospect of having no matchday income, lower tv money, reimbursing the season ticket holders and lower sponsorship deals and have decided to not put the club into any danger for the future. Yes we may be well off at the moment but who knows how this will affect FFP as we still need to pay huge amounts in wages with no money coming in as they would have projected (football clubs are not run on a day to day basis like some of our fans think). There's no point saying that we can cover buying new players by selling the players currently out on loans or deemed not needed as their prices will have devalued a lot due to all the other clubs losing money and not being able to spend huge amounts on player. Let Chelsea or any other club take the risk, I bet after typing all of this we go out and spend £100 million on Havertz!

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'm personally not arsed about Werner at all but I am arsed if the party line is "we cant afford it".
    That's a wise stance to take publicly, even if you are planning to spend big
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Fair play to the owners for looking after the club in these uncertain times. What's the point in going out splashing out loads of cash on players that won't make the starting line up when we've got good enough players (both experienced and prospect). I seems like they've looked into the prospect of having no matchday income, lower tv money, reimbursing the season ticket holders and lower sponsorship deals and have decided to not put the club into any danger for the future. Yes we may be well off at the moment but who knows how this will affect FFP as we still need to pay huge amounts in wages with no money coming in as they would have projected (football clubs are not run on a day to day basis like some of our fans think). There's no point saying that we can cover buying new players by selling the players currently out on loans or deemed not needed as their prices will have devalued a lot due to all the other clubs losing money and not being able to spend huge amounts on player. Let Chelsea or any other club take the risk, I bet after typing all of this we go out and spend £100 million on Havertz!
    All true but every club is subject to the same circumstances. It's just not most of them arent in the worlds richest and haven't won 2 majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    That's a wise stance to take publicly, even if you are planning to spend big
    Maybe it is a smokescreen but I'd seriously doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    The Athletic said he was happy to come here and start as a sub, so much so that his backup plan was to stay at Leipzig another year. Then the club told him they'd need the money this summer so I guess he started listening to offers.
    Either way it looks very unlikely he'll be coming to us.
    My guess is, Until there's a vaccine alot of owners are very reluctant to splash out any money incase it goes tits up again and there's no football again.
    It could be worse , this could've happened at the end of the 14/15 season with that squad Brendan had.

Think the club are also gambling on City's transfer ban being upheld. Might be a different landscape if they squirm their way out of it.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Theres other stories like Adama Traoré.. again you never know what to believe,. his scoring ratio at the moment leaves a bit to be desired .But if that improves then yes hes an excellent option.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Think he's off on the wages factor. Werner on a wedge at Chelsea and we're looking to 'reward' Alisson and Virgil with new contracts. Clubs won't want to let players run their contracts down and free agents certainly won't suddenly accept mediocre wages when they know this is their one chance to make top dollar.
    We hardly ever offer new signings big wages anyway, so shouldn't affect us that much.

Clubs will still pay what it takes to bring in a player who they believe will improve them, we might not see many £100m transfers but there'll be plenty of activity once the window opens.

Interestingly there doesn't seem to be any negative talk of Chelsea spending £50m on a player either.
    And there should be !
    Because I bet if liverpool did it there would be the press shouting out about it !
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”