Page 39 of 659 FirstFirst ... 293233343536373839404142434445464989139539 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

We are losing £3m a home matchday .
    So 4 or 5 games for this season.

£15m

But what about next season ?
    Champions league?
    Home games?

Another 19 home games next season x £3m = £57m

So a Werner.

It makes sense to wait a moment

Wilson Grujic Jones Williams Brewster we still have a dearth of talent to come in.

Also when will the u23s and u18s start playing competitive football again?

The squad needs to shrink a bit for a season or until a vaccine is available.

The bigger picture

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Theres other stories like Adama Traoré.. again you never know what to believe,. his scoring ratio at the moment leaves a bit to be desired .But if that improves then yes hes an excellent option.
    As has been mentioned somewhere on one of these threads..Werner is mainly about pace. He is most strongly effective on breakaways, and that most teams won't be pressing us, so that the breakaway situation is less likely. in fact most teams will sit with a blocked defence, so Werners pace is much less effective. i think Traore falls into the same category. he is lightning quick, probably not as good a finisher as Werner.
    I think that is why there is now talk of Sancho, who if you can believe the press, we have talked to this week. He is a player that can beat a man. More in the mould of a Mane or Firmino, although much younger and still learning of course.

To give an idea of how strange these economic conditions are, here’s a quote from the BBC this week;

“British Airways is under huge financial strain due to the pandemic, and has said it is currently burning through its cash reserves at a rate of around £1m per hour.“

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    As has been mentioned somewhere on one of these threads..Werner is mainly about pace. He is most strongly effective on breakaways, and that most teams won't be pressing us, so that the breakaway situation is less likely. in fact most teams will sit with a blocked defence, so Werners pace is much less effective. i think Traore falls into the same category. he is lightning quick, probably not as good a finisher as Werner.
    I think that is why there is now talk of Sancho, who if you can believe the press, we have talked to this week. He is a player that can beat a man. More in the mould of a Mane or Firmino, although much younger and still learning of course.
    I agree 100% with that.. That's whats worrying me about next season, if teams are allowed 5 subs then as well. we are ok now since we have almost won the league..
    Just next season if teams are allowed 5 subs, the opposition will fill their bench with defenders and midfielders. And have no intention of coming out of their own half against us. and it will be even worse . Because we wont be able to tire them down over 90 minutes.
    I can see Anceloti doing that in the derby and he will get plaudits for it.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

I think the 5 subs thing is due to the high possibility of injuries due to lack of matches and proper training?

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    To give an idea of how strange these economic conditions are, here’s a quote from the BBC this week;

“British Airways is under huge financial strain due to the pandemic, and has said it is currently burning through its cash reserves at a rate of around £1m per hour.“
    Another quote or two for you, from an article in the Financial Football News.

" An early exit this year is very much a possibility following a first leg defeat to Atletico Madrid and such an exit would hit broadcast revenue hard, reducing revenue significantly"

and -

"Liverpool should see some revenue growth in 2020 with the commercial benefits of their first title win in 30 years. However, the level of revenue growth very much depends on their Champions League progress.

An exit to Atletico Madrid will really hurt revenue growth and could see Liverpool flatline or decline slightly even."

It's REALLY worth emphasising that those quotes are from a pre-lockdown World. So if we ran the risk of having less money THEN, it's truly no wonder we're being so careful with funds NOW.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Just don't see anyone coming in.
    As we are !
    Maybe the players coming in with a strong case;

Grujic, Wilson, Jones, Williams

Good news for them.

Interestingly perhaps the Brazilian market got really cheap. So that could be a market to get a player.
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Just don't see anyone coming in.
    As we are !
    Maybe the players coming in with a strong case;

Grujic, Wilson, Jones, Williams

Good news for them.

Interestingly perhaps the Brazilian market got really cheap. So that could be a market to get a player.
    If we happened to make a sale or two, then there's one player I think we would consider looking at, depending on circumstances - and that's Raschica.

There's been various bits of chatter suggesting he would have a £15m release clause if Werder Bremen were to be relegated, so if Shaqiri for example were to go for a bigger fee (let's say £20m) and if Rashica's initial wages would be less than Shaqiri's, we may just deem it "worth it".

However, given how much Shaqiri was seemingly unavailable last season, it also wouldn't surprise me if we were to sell but not replace, given the financial climate. A time will come when we can spend more "normally" again and every bit saved stacks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    If we happened to make a sale or two, then there's one player I think we would consider looking at, depending on circumstances - and that's Raschica.

There's been various bits of chatter suggesting he would have a £15m release clause if Werder Bremen were to be relegated, so if Shaqiri for example were to go for a bigger fee (let's say £20m) and if Rashica's initial wages would be less than Shaqiri's, we may just deem it "worth it".

However, given how much Shaqiri was seemingly unavailable last season, it also wouldn't surprise me if we were to sell but not replace, given the financial climate. A time will come when we can spend more "normally" again and every bit saved stacks up.
    Must say I haven't heard this name before but Rashica has quite decent goalscoring stats for an attacking midfielder / winger in a struggling Bremen team (23 goals in 69 Bundesliga performances - and 47 goals in 190 appearances for all his clubs in all competitions)

Thiago Silva leaving PSG. "I'd buy that for a dollar"
    Would be a good signing I think.