Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I get that you were joking. Mourinho seems to have lot the plot.

I still think it is crazy for people to say he is shit - he has been pretty darned good to be fair even at United - he hasn't turned them into world beaters but he was never going to all by himself. They overpaid for him for sure and he doesn't seem to be very happy there. I guess that's about where it is.

Think his value is about right @ £54 Million
    He's definitely talented but he has a reputation for strolling around the park. I'm not sure I'd want him in our team, certainly not ahead of Henderson. I didn't watch France at the Euros but I read that he didn't have a great deal of impact. My guess is trying to build a team around him next season will cause Olle a number of problems, which I hope to enjoy regularly on Match of the Day

Let’s hope

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Ings has turned down a 4 year contract extension at Southampton because he wants to test himself at a higher level. Arsenal surely.
    Wouldn't be the worst buy for City actually.

Wouldn't want to see him there, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Wouldn't be the worst buy for City actually.

Wouldn't want to see him there, naturally.
    Spurs are likely if they lose Kane.

I wouldnt go to City if I was Ings runs the risk of becoming pen pals with Ake.

Just a reminder on non-homegrown players -

Goalkeeper - 2 - Alisson, Adrian
    Defence - 5 - Van Dijk, Matip, Konate, Robertson, Tsimikas
    Midfield - 4 - Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Shaqiri
    Forwards - 6 - Mane, Firmino, Salah, Jota, Origi, Minamino

17 non-homegrowns there. Bear in mind the limit is 17 players.

That's before we factor in Karius or Grujic who (surely!) have no future here.

We're essentially operating in a one-in, one-out capacity just now for non-homegrown lads, so any imminent deals for incoming players will be a very pleasant surprise unless we are convinced that we're getting someone shipped out, as it would be relatively pointless to send someone like, say, Origi out on loan.

With that in mind we're unlikely to see, say, Sanches or Otavio come in until, say, Shaqiri departs.

Could do with more homegrown youth talent coming through, especially seeing as ready-made homegrown lads (someone like Grealish) would be so ridiculously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Just a reminder on non-homegrown players -

Goalkeeper - 2 - Alisson, Adrian
    Defence - 5 - Van Dijk, Matip, Konate, Robertson, Tsimikas
    Midfield - 4 - Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Shaqiri
    Forwards - 6 - Mane, Firmino, Salah, Jota, Origi, Minamino

17 non-homegrowns there. Bear in mind the limit is 17 players.

That's before we factor in Karius or Grujic who (surely!) have no future here.

We're essentially operating in a one-in, one-out capacity just now for non-homegrown lads, so any imminent deals for incoming players will be a very pleasant surprise unless we are convinced that we're getting someone shipped out, as it would be relatively pointless to send someone like, say, Origi out on loan.

With that in mind we're unlikely to see, say, Sanches or Otavio come in until, say, Shaqiri departs.

Could do with more homegrown youth talent coming through, especially seeing as ready-made homegrown lads (someone like Grealish) would be so ridiculously expensive.
    Its likely Origi and Minamino will go.. I can see us maybe getting Ward Prowse in some kinda swap deal with Minamino
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Its likely Origi and Minamino will go.
    The Athletic apparently did an article which suggests are holding onto Origi, though I don't subscribe to it and thus can't confirm.

He has had 1,256 minutes in three seasons - that's roughly equivalent to 14 full matches, slightly less actually. What's intriguing about that is he actually has 7 goals within that - very loosely translated as 7 goals in 14 games, or a "1 in 2" strike rate, you can see how he could be of use to someone.

Personally I really don't see that "someone" as being us and would be crossing my fingers and toes for a £15m or so bid so that we can work towards acquiring a better fit for our set-up in terms of style of play and so on. I suspect we have a figure we'd accept and any bid below that isn't deemed to be worth accepting, partly due to the expense of forwards in general when we need to replace and partly our long-term effort to show that Liverpool no longer get low-balled.

If he does stay, I hope we do actually give him some starts. His touch and strike against Everton show he has top quality finishes in his locker and I'd rather he get sets of 60 minutes here and there for the purpose of rotation and getting genuine chances rather than the last 7 minutes of games.

Always liked Origi - yes I know he isn’t at the same level as our famed front 3 but I feel like he could have featured more. Must be soul destroying knowing you ain’t getting a look in even if picked and you perform.

The odd 7 minutes here and there in games so often already lost. That is a tough environment to perform in.

Origi, Shaq, Minamino surely on their way, plus a story or two about the Greek LB. plenty of room for improvement of our foreign contingent

Think we rejected a £4m bid for Awoniyi from West Brom, with us said to be holding out for £8m.

If we do get that £8m for a player most of our fans haven't heard of and can use it to "top up" a bid for a player we really want, it would be good.

These days figures like £8m get scoffed at, but that's most of Salah's annual salary, so every little bit helps.