Page 640 of 659 FirstFirst ... 140540590630633634635636637638639640641642643644645646647650 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,400 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Lionel Messi and Paris St-Germain have agreed a two-year deal, with the 34-year-old Argentina forward expected to officially end his 21-year association with Barcelona with "dignity" on Sunday with a Nou Camp news conference. (Le Parisien - in French)

If Messi does move to the French capital, he is set to receive a yearly pay packet of 40m euros (about £34m). (L'Equipe - in French)

Messi's potential move to Parc des Princes could boost Manchester United's hopes of signing Rennes' 18-year-old French midfielder Eduardo Camavinga, who has previously been strongly linked with a move to PSG. (Star Sunday)

Sergio Aguero, 33, will remain at Barcelona, despite reports that he was looking to leave after news that his good friend and fellow Argentine forward Messi was not staying at the club. (Marca - in Spanish)

Surely he wouldn’t be interested in going to Arsenal…

Arsenal are exploring the possibility of signing Manchester City's 26-year-old Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva, who has previously told the Premier League champions he wants to leave the club. The Gunners see Silva as an alternative option to Leicester City and England midfielder James Maddison, 24. (Sunday Mirror)

Silva is preparing for talks with City boss Pep Guardiola and will be pushing to get a move to Barcelona. (Sunday Sun)

Newcastle United have enquired about signing 24-year-old English defender Nathaniel Phillips from Liverpool. (Athletic, subscription required)

Liverpool have agreed to sign 16-year-old English midfielder Bobby Clark from Newcastle United after Tottenham turned down the chance to sign him this year. (Football Insider)

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Surely he wouldn’t be interested in going to Arsenal…

Arsenal are exploring the possibility of signing Manchester City's 26-year-old Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva, who has previously told the Premier League champions he wants to leave the club. The Gunners see Silva as an alternative option to Leicester City and England midfielder James Maddison, 24. (Sunday Mirror)

Silva is preparing for talks with City boss Pep Guardiola and will be pushing to get a move to Barcelona. (Sunday Sun)
    Arsenal have also been linked to Lautaro Martinez, Locatelli and a few other players they have no chance of signing

We need esl to compete with these owners

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    £60m ?? So you agree the squad has been woefully underfunded since Klopp arrived then.
    I wouldnt say it's been woefully underfunded.
    I'd say Klopp has been more than competitive, hes a winner, below the lower figure of the range.

Havent checked the figures lately, but I'd say Klopps net spend per season is under 30 mill.
    Used to correct noods on his stating 20 mill a season, by showing it was closer to 15 back then, around 16 mill.
    At a guess maybe its around 20 mill a season.

Used to post how our net spend for the 5 seasons iirc prior to Klopp was double what it was under klopp.
    The owners sanctioned greater net spends per season with Kenny and BR in charge.
    When those 2 former managers were in charge, the income was far less than it is now.
    So as a percentage of income the net spend under Klopp is even smaller as a percentage of revenue.

So Klopps arrival coincides with our forever shrewd/miserly owners going super scrooge.

I've brought it up with Steveo before, our owners want to run the club as a business, or as a viable club not facing bankruptcy.
    But its hard to square the idea that they hired Klopp and then squeezed investment in net spend terms.

I do think we have to treat Klopp as an influential hipster/oddball who takes pride in achieving without spending much money on the squad.
    He was the same at Dortmund, until his last year iirc, his net spend was around a million a year.
    He seems to have a love for winning on a shoestring, reminds me of a normie high income earner who loves a basement bargain.

So as mad as it seems I think the woefully underfunded part has a big part of Klopp as its cause.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Problem is though CCTV £60M should be enough but the likes of Ward-Prowse are going to be £50m players soon !
    Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Maybe FiFA should come in and make a transfer cap. any player cant be sold for over say 60 million?.
    Its bizarre a team can spend 250 million during a pandemic.. Lower the transfer fees.
    Not sure it could be enforced legally but a wage cap would be much better.
    As it stands it's the wages that are set to rise more and be more of an issue, I think.

Players can look out for themselves more and more as the landscape changes.

Like Mbappe at PSG, the only way out of there is to run down his contract as they seemingly just wont sell.
    For players like ward prowse it's a case of keeping your extensions shorter or running out your contract as clubs wont pay what is demanded.

The game needs a period of settling that might have come but for the failure of ffp and the joke CAS at the head of sports. But we're living in strange times imo.

Of course fans/matchday goers have there own interests to look out for. Price of kits, tickets, TV subscriptions etc

Bore off and stop accepting hopefully making it into the sid cup and defending them

it's a load of fucking bollocks

I'm sorry but it is

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Bore off and stop accepting hopefully making it into the sid cup and defending them
    If one of Van Dijk or Gomez is fit for most of the season (thus not having to use as many centre-back pairings, thus not having Fabinho or Henderson leave the midfield, thus not reducing the capacity of Robertson and Trent, thus not taking the forward passes from midfield further back) and with us having a stronger back-up plan in Konate, are you genuinely nervous of missing Top Four?

With largely the same side that got us 97+99 points? That has been added to so as to strengthen our quality in depth, with Wijnaldum the one major loss? With every chance that Mane (having actually had a break) and the others (playing a less congested season and bring vaccinated) more able to cope with the schedule?

As much as some other sides have strengthened, I just don't see us faltering that badly. Maybe I'll be proven very wrong and we'll finish 6th or something but I really don't see it with this squad, particularly given the strength of our starting XI. Last season makes it easy to forget just how good this team is.