Page 8 of 659 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Agree with all that CC just think comparing PPG 13 games V 17 doesn’t really work and also if you factor in the different lineups across these games it is very tough to glean anything that tangible - is all I was alluding to.

But he was and still is lightweight - as my old fella would say - a strong wind could blow him over... He was never really going to help out much when we lost the ball and his sale was a catalyst for the team to become far more solid.

I find the Rodgers - Lallana thing quite curious, he was shit for us under Rodgers, he only started to look like the player we thought we'd bought under Jurgen
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    That's fair enough, I wont rob you of your belief - we all have our own.
    Alisson enjoys a huge win ratio in the pl with 1 loss since his arrival in the pl. Obviously Alisson plays a huge part but it's on top of others improvements too.

What do you mean miles out ? 13 v 17 is close enough if a small sample and there is 1 more win in the 13 than the 17 with Coutinho.

They're against different opponents etc. Have you looked into your own questions on the details or just dismissing them with objections ?

Just having a quick look, selecting a few games and it would seem the with Coutinho games had more Robertson over Moreno as his injury occured later into the season. Klopp picked Moreno when fit that season too (bit of a jokey rebuttal)
    Our centre backs, mostly Lovren & Matip, with Klavan back up playing well at that time. Reasonably close CB pairings around that time imo.
    Right back seems to be Gomez and Trent mostly.

Formations a quick look and as usual 433 & 42X systems which arent miles apart.
    Found one back 3 in the pl where with Coutinho we got a 5-1 win over Brighton - Gini & Can playing in the back 3, Robbo & Trent the wing backs. And pretty sure on memory at least one of the 7-0 cl wins was in 4222.
    In short and at a guess your objections to the stats seem to actually favour Coutinho, but it's how you/I view things.

Coutinho is a talented footballer. But he is lightweight, weak defensively though he'd press well. He gave us some wonderful goals etc.

He would've done well to stick by Klopp, but he didn't.
    For me VVD arriving was much more important at that time and I didnt expect much of a drop off at the other end of the pitch. Think a few were aghast we didnt replace him then, which was fair enough as we have been heavily dependent on our front 3 since.
    Imo outside of the CL final he has been missed most in our ability to rotate the front 3 which imo has seen us adapt our pressing intensity up top.
    What an utterly ridiculous stat that is! One defeat in 20 od months! Insane!

VVD is the single biggest difference to this side. As good as the keeper is, as amazing as the fullbacks are, as hard working as the midfield is and as prolific the forwards are the difference is VVD.

Absolutely convinced we'd be nowhere near where we are at the moment without him.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post

VVD is the single biggest difference to this side. As good as the keeper is, as amazing as the fullbacks are, as hard working as the midfield is and as prolific the forwards are the difference is VVD.

Absolutely convinced we'd be nowhere near where we are at the moment without him.
    It's a good point..

I witnessed his Liverpool debut in the flesh FA Cup v the BS. Salah ( didn't play )and Mane had been away receiving AFCON awards - Mane turned out but was clearly nowhere near his best - VVD in his first game was telling a very wobbly looking Matip where to stand - where to close and at times he was literally screaming at Karius about his positioning and timing.

We won the game 2:1 with a Virgil header. I knew that Coutinho was a goner as he hadn't been named in the squad and must admit I was saddened about it - BUT but I was also pretty sure that the good times were coming for us as I walked away from the ground. I looked at my son and said - we have a proper WC centre back now... The rest is history..

Looks like VVD is getting a new contract worth £150 k per week. Worth every penny, and more.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post

There all blocks of greatness on top of each other. VVD was huge and he was joined by Robbo and Trent around that time. VVD had a huge influence on the team play and back line.

Alisson joined the group who were so close to winning the CL and took us on another level again. He wouldn't have those stats had we the lesser back 4.

I think the fullbacks, which we all seem to agree now are the worlds best are underrated in their impact on midfield and attack though.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Looks like VVD is getting a new contract worth £150 k per week. Worth every penny, and more.
    Isnt he already on 170-180kpw ?

Heard he was going to get the same as Mo which is about £200k.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Isnt he already on 170-180kpw ?
    I'm pretty sure it said £150 k on todays gossip column. Whatever they give him, he's earning it.
    Last edited by skyebo; 12th February 2020 at 07:23 PM.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Agree with all that CC just think comparing PPG 13 games V 17 doesn’t really work and also if you factor in the different lineups across these games it is very tough to glean anything that tangible - is all I was alluding to.

But he was and still is lightweight - as my old fella would say - a strong wind could blow him over... He was never really going to help out much when we lost the ball and his sale was a catalyst for the team to become far more solid.
    There are fair criticisms of those type of stats. I dont think they are as valid over that time frame, but you can still be suspicious of them over that time.

A good contributor can suffer bad luck by being in the team when others are missing and just catch a few losses.
    Similarly a good player can look great by being in a great side.