Page 9 of 659 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I'm pretty sure it said £150 k on todays gossip column. Whatever they give him, he's earning it.
    Agree, he's our no 4....

Its hoped/expected Alisson will extend his contract soon too.

That'll be them 2 Robbo Trent & Gomez all with fresh contracts and Matip not long after one too.

Then upto Gini to commit as unlike the rest his is up soon enough !

Re other posts on the subject, as I understand it Virgil is set to be offered a 5 year deal at 200k PW absolutely well deserved
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Bild suggesting we're getting Werner for 46 mill

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

When learning skills you're consciously attempting to achieve a goal, mastering a skill means it becomes automatic/unconscious.
    Poor technique can become automatic too though and in a few sports this can be body/head position, leaning back when taking a shot a good example, you always want your head to be leaning forward in a positive rather than leaning back as it destabilises.
    You can succeed with a goofy body position but you're less likely to when the technique is poor. Rather than transcending technique I'd suggest its transcending consciousness
    I’m not sure about transcending consciousness. But transcending a system is definitely possible.
    Look - having defenders is part of a system. So is having a goalie. You could play 11 strikers if you felt it would be advantageous. So there’s always a system of sorts. But that’s not what I’m talking about.
    I think part of Klopp’s genius is to recognise that the manager can ruin the team. He has to set up certain rules but he knows he has to get the team playing by itself so his emphasis is different to more egotistical managers.
    For instance, he currently has two fullbacks who are very offensively minded. But they haven’t been moulded into his offensive-fullbacks system. He has found a way to make use of them because he has them at his disposal.

My golf teacher has recently moved to Texas where he is teaching more and more top pros. He is peaking in his career and is turning around failing careers. But he still thinks most people do better without instruction because so many teachers don’t know what they are doing. He used to teach England juniors and he now recognises that he and his colleagues ruined many careers by trying to get player to fit their limited mould.

It still happens at the top. Sandy Lyle had his career ruined by instruction. My teacher thinks Justin Rose has had his swing ruined and it is only his raw talent that is stopping him from rapid decline.

Bubba Watson in his eyes is the most intelligent golfer out there. He’s never had a lesson but he has an ability to move the ball around in an enviable manner with a completely unorthodox technique based on his ability to act on his desire to hit it a certain way.

In my view Klopp has this team playing in an unorthodox manner. It’s not accurate to say we are high pressing. We are high pressing or low pressing, depending on where we find ourselves. He has the team unreliant on instructions in case the instructions limit their effectiveness.
    That doesn’t mean he isn’t influencing everything they do, it just means he is able to allow them to be creative. Being creative means the system has been relegated in relation to the individual talent.

There is definitely a system, there are definite employed tactics against different opposition, I could list a few, but I won't as a lot of sides seem blissfully unaware of them.

The fluidity we saw in midfield with Hendo at No6 was an evolution of the system, but that hasn't been there or ever evident with Fabinho at No6 and from everything I've read that interchanging of position and covering each others positions was orchestrated by Hendo. The fluidity came through the press and counter press and trying to increase the efficiency of it, and put basically, saw each of our midfielders, Hendo in particular, engage in the high press with better timing and to better affect with the other midfielders adjusting their press and counter press positions accordingly and covering the area of the player high pressing and often remaining in the positions they found themselves in for extended periods rather than their starting positions until we had a corner or free kick.

That fluidity is very different from how we play with Fabinho at No6, in which you can see a very clear system that sees all 3 midfielders far more restricted to set positions, Gini LCM Fabinho No6 Hendo RCM. This in turn means our press and counter press are less effective and it is easier for teams to set up to play off certain players to try and counter, this also means our attacking play is more predictable, as opposition players are faced with our midfield players in the same position, where they expect them to be, armed with information on their likely contributions from those positions and how best to try and prevent it.

I think perhaps the debate about our system results from our press and counter press, because we win back possession in areas of the pitch with our players positioned differently than they are in our recognised patterns of play from our possession football, which creates more fluidity and these are situations in which the players are a lot more creative and instinctive, because it isn't a set pattern of play we have worked on and this also makes it a lot more difficult for the opposition to defend as it isn't something they've been drilled/prepared to expect or deal with.

That's one of the major aspects that makes watching this side so exciting and for me is what excites Jurgen most on the touchline, what we do in the number of situations we get each game in which the players have to be creative and instinctive because everything is different from one of our practice patterns of play based on where we won the ball back, who won it and the positions of all our other players. I think there were more instances of this in Fabinho's absence because of the fluidity of the midfield 3 Hendo created, so I'm hoping there will be some guidance and instruction from Jurgen for Fabinho so this evolution of our play continues now he's back.

To illustrate the rotation above, there was a passage of play v the filthy that saw Gini score but be just offside. Hendo had gone from central No6 to high press at inside right FWD area, Oxlade had gone to No6, we won it and it was switched, Gini pressed forward from LCM to an attacking No8 position to support the play, Ox moved across to LCM (he started at RCM) Hendo took a position halfway between No6 and RCM, the ball was then played back to Oxlade at LCM to play a great through ball for Gini on the edge of the area between their RC and RCB

It was created through the fluidity of the midfield 3 that Hendo orchestrated, and in that passage of play Hendo was No6, then in a RFWD postion then in RCM then between No6 and RCM, Oxlade was RCM, then No6 then LCM and Gini was LCM to attacking No8 to inside LFWD with all 3 in great pressing and counter pressing positions but also positioned to become involved in the attack throughout it

Why do I think salah will go madrid or somewhere, and we'll end up with sancho and werner?

probably me having nightmares again

or your meds haven't kicked in
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Why do I think salah will go madrid or somewhere, and we'll end up with sancho and werner?

probably me having nightmares again
    I don’t see it as that would mean they spend at least £400m in the summer.

They will sign Mbappe I think it’s the most open secret in football and they might decide to go for Pogba as well although I’m not certain on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post

The fluidity we saw in midfield with Hendo at No6 was an evolution of the system, but that hasn't been there or ever evident with Fabinho at No6 and from everything I've read that interchanging of position and covering each others positions was orchestrated by Hendo.
    Was it an evolution of our system or an evolution of our play?

If he brings Fabinho in for a game against say a top Champions league opponent, he's doing it because we can't afford the fluidity, we need a more fixed defensive figure in front of defence. Finding ways of getting our current players more creative/fluid is what he is doing. If he had an identifiable system he'd say something like 'I play with a defensive holding defender - that's Fabinho, and Henderson can fill in for him.'

Obviously the manager makes choices and changes games with different formations and players, that goes without saying. I'd be willing to bet he'll choose Fabinho over Hendo for the trip to the Etihad (or play them together), for example - so long as winning the game is still of primary importance and they're both fit. That's a strategic decision. You could argue that the strategy is the system but I don't believe that's right. I still think Klopp is pioneering a method that takes talented players, trains them to work with each other in a manner that is fluid and can adapt to play in different ways depending on the opposition.

Ultimately the reason we look so good against someone like Real Madrid is because we have talent that is very hard to cope with - Salah, Mané, Alexander Arnold, Robertson, Firminho - held together by the fluidity glue of brilliant players like Henderson, Gini, Alisson and Van Djik.
    It's not so much that teams can't cope with our system - they don't even know what it is (and I think that's because it doesn't really exist). They can't cope with the team. That distinction may be meaningless or semantic, but I think there is something substantially different to Klopp's method worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Taksin; 13th February 2020 at 11:58 AM.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now