Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool 19/20 v Manchester United 98/99

Liverpool 19/20 v Manchester United 98/99

There is a poll/debate currently on Sky Sports asking who would get into a combined Liverpool 19/20 and Manchester United 98/99 side, and who would win if those teams faced each other.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11931317/man-utd-1999-vs-liverpool-2020-pick-your-combined-xi-and-who-would-win

Schteeve "Wally with the brolly" McClaren reckons that only VVD would get in a combined side from our current side. He also says that Man U were full of "leaders". Does he mean leaders like a man who slept with his brothers wife, a man who was all about his 'brand', and a CM who couldn't tackle for toffee and should have received about ten times the number of red cards than he actually did?

Currently it's 51% to 49% in favour of the ****s. Get on Sky Sports and do your bit.

Just VVD my backside!!!!!

None of their team would get a kick v our lads, no way they'd handle our team press and counter press, when they do daft team v team comparisons/simulations on FIFA they don't have the programming skills or football understanding or intelligence to accurately represent what our lads do.

Our lads would literally destroy their midfield and defence and their forwards would get zero service

Either Neville v Mane or Salah, absolutely destroyed

Scholes, Beckham, Keane and Giggs in midfield, absolutely destroyed, any who sees and understands what we do would know Beckham would never ever get the time he used to enjoy to hit his long right to left diagonals for Giggs that was a huge feature of that teams play and counters, not in a million years and how we collectively press and the intelligence with which we do it and Beckham being so one footed, he'd just be completely nullified.

Scholes was so slow, he would just never get the opportunities to get the time on the ball and open lines he used to enjoy to pick his passes against our midfield. None of their midfield could live with how we press, the game has moved on massively and against their two forwards we'd be leaving 2 v 2 at the back all day long and be comfortable and have both full backs pressing their midfield as well as Bobby dropping in and Mane harrying back to nick it off toes to one of our players and our midfield, there'd be a blanket of 7 players constantly smothering and pressing that midfield of theirs from all angles and not a single one of their midfield had that two footed technical ability to deal with our level and intensity of pressing, I could see our lads running up double figures against them

They won the Champions League having been outclassed the entire game on 2 flukey corners in 3 minutes, they'd be lucky to even get a corner v us and the analysis of attacking and defending corners and our brilliance at defending them is just light years ahead of where it was in their day, even if they managed to get a few, we'd have no issues defending them, the game's moved on
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 11th February 2020 at 05:18 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Former man-united coach is bias "shock horror"
    Leader of all..master of none..

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Former man-united coach is bias "shock horror"
    That's exactly what I thought.

Says it all about the FA. the gave McLaren the England job because he was a coach at man-united. Nothing else
    All that matters is current football and we are almost close to the title! man-united cant get into the top 4. Eat it and weep.
    Leader of all..master of none..

It's a shame to compare our team with man u 98m I would compare with barca tiki taka times and real Madrid galactica period.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    There is a poll/debate currently on Sky Sports asking who would get into a combined Liverpool 19/20 and Manchester United 98/99 side, and who would win if those teams faced each other.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11931317/man-utd-1999-vs-liverpool-2020-pick-your-combined-xi-and-who-would-win

Schteeve "Wally with the brolly" McClaren reckons that only VVD would get in a combined side from our current side. He also says that Man U were full of "leaders". Does he mean leaders like a man who slept with his brothers wife, a man who was all about his 'brand', and a CM who couldn't tackle for toffee and should have received about ten times the number of red cards than he actually did?

Currently it's 51% to 49% in favour of the ****s. Get on Sky Sports and do your bit.

Just VVD my backside!!!!!
    Bit stupid how you cant pick your 11 and players due to the selections they have available.

If I'm honest.

Alisson ahead of schmeichel - fair enough call for the manc fans to go with Peter.

Trent over Neville and Robbo over Irwin.
    Who partners VVD a bit tricky, Maybe Stam.

Roy Keane in a 2 I'd go for Fabinho to partner him as he wins his fair share of headers. (Dont tell 19)

Then it's our front 3 and Giggs/Cole. Think Cole would complete the quartet nicely.

Alisson
    Trent Stam VVD Robbo
    Fabinho Keane
    Salah Firmino Mane
    Cole

Subs:
    Schmeichel, Gomez, Irwin, Henderson, Gini, Giggs, Yorke/Origi as my super sub

We'd smash them 11 v 11

Could pick that 11

It's gone 52% v 48% in their favour now - madness !!!

Guess they might have something to celebrate this season after all

They have these polls just to stir the pot. Just accept that we are on to something big, and at the same time appreciate how good an achievement it was when they did the treble. They had great players then, we have great players now.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    They have these polls just to stir the pot. Just accept that we are on to something big, and at the same time appreciate how good an achievement it was when they did the treble. They had great players then, we have great players now.
    Wise words skyebo