Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool 19/20 v Manchester United 98/99

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I'm at a major disadvantage since I've never actually seen Schmeichel or Irwin play properly.
    Roy Keane thinks Irwin is one of the most under-appreciated players in their history and he's already a highly appreciated player.

Schmeichel was an absolute Monster. The likes of him and Oliver Kahn really took things up a notch, even though I prefer the "aesthetic" of a slightly over-the-top, cat reflex, eccentric dive keeper like Pagliuca.

Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Yeah, they were a real good side, NOT, still absolutely appalls me how they were allowed to get away with kicking opponents off the pitch when they were being outplayed as that aspect of the game had changed then and nobody else was allowed to do it

Ending Arsenal's invincibles unbeaten run here, Ferdinand and Gary Neville, both should have been off for straight reds before they scored from a penalty given for a shameless dive from Rooney, Phil Neville a yellow bordering red in one of his first challenges and got away with committing roughly 20 that were all yellow card offences over the 90 minutes before being booked a minute from time. They were a fucking joke that mob, and the FA were a fucking joke for letting them get away with it for too many years, plain and simple

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

This was the final team:-

L-M XI: Schmeichel, Alexander-Arnold, Stam, Van Dijk, Robertson; Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs; Salah, Mane.

Subs: Alisson, G Neville, Henderson, Firmino, Cole.

Personally I don't rate their midfield anywhere near as highly as others. They were all very good players that happened to emerge at the same time, but for me none of them were ever 'top of the tree'. They also never got anywhere near our or Man City's points totals despite having teams roll over for them, other teams having much less money to spend on players than they do now, and Fergie 'owning' the FA, never mind the constant/allowed haranging of the referees.

52% said the Mancs 99 side would win in a match between the two sides. Again I'm calling BS. 97 points last season, 24/25 wins this season. Sorry but they'd not be given the copious amounts of time on the ball that they were given back then. We'd easily win the ball back and our pace would destroy them.

I sort of agree with 19 here, think Schmiechel aside they'd all struggle to get into our side and the way we play.

But despite that they were a phenomenal team with some excellent players (albeit one or two of them were massively overrated).
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

I'd defo have Stam and Keane in the side for sure.

Schmeichel purely on the time spent here but its 50/50 with Alisson for me.

Irwin to be fair was an outstanding full back on either side I can see the arguement for him too.

I always felt Giggs was hugely over rated he was good but he wasnt a great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    This was the final team:-

L-M XI: Schmeichel, Alexander-Arnold, Stam, Van Dijk, Robertson; Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs; Salah, Mane.

Subs: Alisson, G Neville, Henderson, Firmino, Cole.

Personally I don't rate their midfield anywhere near as highly as others. They were all very good players that happened to emerge at the same time, but for me none of them were ever 'top of the tree'. They also never got anywhere near our or Man City's points totals despite having teams roll over for them, other teams having much less money to spend on players than they do now, and Fergie 'owning' the FA, never mind the constant/allowed haranging of the referees.

52% said the Mancs 99 side would win in a match between the two sides. Again I'm calling BS. 97 points last season, 24/25 wins this season. Sorry but they'd not be given the copious amounts of time on the ball that they were given back then. We'd easily win the ball back and our pace would destroy them.
    I wished our midfield could get the amount of goals they managed in their career.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I wished our midfield could get the amount of goals they managed in their career.
    Our midfield don't operate in the same way as theirs did so it's a moot point

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Our midfield don't operate in the same way as theirs did so it's a moot point
    That's tosh, it's down to everyone to score if they get into the right positions. We'd be in trouble if Mane and Salah's goals dried up.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

That's tosh, it's down to everyone to score if they get into the right positions. We'd be in trouble if Mane and Salah's goals dried up.
    No it isn't, have a word with Robbo and Trent, they're the ones our midfield support to play further forward in positions midfielders usually get in and get their goals from

They are two entirely different midfields and two managers with a differing ethos. Even Fergie realised that he needed a different kind of midfielder, hence why he relied a lot on the likes of Fletcher, Carrick and Park.

Of course some more goals and creativity would be nice, but at the expense of allowing our front three and full backs to do what they do? Possibly not. There is a reason Man U only won two CL titles and lost twice to Barcelona, namely not enough grit/work rate in the team (especially in midfield) to stop Barcelona's 'tika-taka'.