Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The demise of football

Fuck me how did you manage to make yourself read all of that absolute shite.
    Got about a 3rd through it.
    Enjoyed these couple of lines.

"The wider trends are beyond debate.

They are also causing huge debate at the very top of the game."

There were plenty of number to keep me interested. The literary deviations were less intriguing.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

The author says that success is directly linked to the wages that a club pays, but they fail to mention that the club with the highest wage bill (Man U) have been p.poor.

It was like reading a migraine with the solidity of a scuttery shite. A long winded whinge that seemingly aimed for a word count over a sensible well structured piece.

The only positive I'll give is he brought up bosman, which at that point I thought he'd overlook, it empowered players via individual rights over the clubs and was a game changer.
    Similarly he pointed to how globalisation (via rule changes) and migration increases (neccesarily in practice) global inequality and inequality within a nation. At least he had the honesty to address these 2 points, probably get called a racist now.

A simple thing I think he failed to realise is that when moving a win from 2 points to 3 this had a drastic impact on the game. Increasing the focus on winning more. As a result you would expect points totals to increase.

Similarly improving the game through rule changes made it harder to hack a player and stay on the pitch- generally seen as a good thing for the product quality, skill over butchery - this benefited better teams. The Maradona/rush v messi/cr7 records for goals/assists.

The age of increased professionalism from the 80s to now was always going to increase standards. When roger bannister broke the 'unbreakable' and impossible four minute mile, within months many broke the impossible and unbreakable sub 4 minute mile.
    Standing on the shoulder of giants I could see a little further is how people advance. It's why winners and believers like Klopp say records are there to be broken. He set one and Bayern smashed it the next year. Hopefully a traditionally dominant pl club will smash the cheeky upstarts record this year.

The article is littered with defeatist attitudes, the unbeatable head start and another one that my mind is slowly erasing for fear of infection.
    This soft whingebag outlook is self-fulfilling. Not trying to speak bad of former posters (or current if they are here too) but it's the same as the we can't get Klopp, we need to spend the most on wages and then fees. Players want to go to London etc etc
    If you make your aim unachievable fair play you wont achieve it.

Look at Sheffield united, nobody told them they couldn't excel - Wilders wankers arent getting paid enough to be doing as good as they are.
    Unfortunately for Sheffield united and me, winning the pl and getting a chiseled 6pack take time and hard work. I'm not working hard to that goal but it's a good example.

Why cant success be instant ? Why can't we overtake Barca and real revenue tomorrow? Why cant everyone be millionaires? Why can't no one be millionaires.
    I despair the answers sound like hard work and resilience. Why do lfc get to inherit a great history.
    Achieving a goal getting to the top is naturally a tough task. If it wasnt tough it wouldnt be worthwhile. Fucking it up is easy. Would making winning a league or cl easier not harm the actual game ? It means more when it's harder.

The Everton/Lukakus - if I'm right Lukakus played more season for Everton than any of his other top clubs. Hes played more games for them and scored more goals for them than any other club. But everton through no fault of their own couldn't keep him.
    Everton a club that has OUTSPENT us in net spend by a factor of 3 roughly. How many higher wages players could they afford if they hadnt out invested us in signing players. Everton have struggled as they've made shit decisions and if they are wise they'll give Carlo the limits and keys to run the club.
    I hope sheffield united make top 4 this year. I'd give Wilder manager of the year too, even if we win both the pl and cl. Cause his achievement is objectively harder imo

Listing an irish club whilst complaining about hyper capitalism....

For teams that aren't in the CL or sid cup, they have their league money. A host of players worldwide to choose from a manager to appoint and a team to build to overcome the odds.
    That's the impossible challenge cause you know clubs never fook up.
    Maybe getting the right man/woman/pixie and giving they the time to build a side might be worth a try.

The pl top 6 clubs need the other teams to play. They could also form a super league with ease, there are always teams to play and if needs be they could have a top6 league. Another piece of say one thing and say the opposite moments later.

Reality isnt laced with equality. Equality isnt reality, its idealism and taken too far it's dangerous.
    Take away the incentive and see greater competition and productivity isnt exactly a great line of thinking imo.

Didn't get too far into it, but the premise is spot on. Football has become a sport comfortable with keeping the rich, rich.

Take for example the FA not doing anything about the richest clubs wooing and keeping hold of dozens of players from youth academies across the country/globe just in case they become good. It's strangling the life out of the lower leagues and meaning that a lot of players don't fulfil their potential tial just to sign for Liverpool/Chelsea/Man Utd.

Another example is that fuck all is done about abusing FFP or respecting the ref, or tapping up other teams. In co trust look what rugby did; relegate Saracens (the sport's biggest club) for breaching their rules. Love it or hate it, rugby has always put morals above keeping their big stars/teams sweet. The recent exception to this is allowing Folau to sign for the Catalan Dragons, but even that is being done under massive protest.

John Terry, an unapologetic racist, has been allowed to flourish in the game after a police investigation.

Football left its morals at the door a long time ago.

I'd love to see FA cup ties hand all proceeds of matches between premier league teams and lower division teams to the other team; giving the other team a real boost.
    I'd like to see a maximum number of youth players in teams, and an end to the stockpiling that currently goes on.
    I'd like to see the FA grow a set of bollocks and implement the sanctions for diving and the respect the ref campaigns properly.
    I'd like to see proper sanctions for teams found deliberately breaking these rules.

Finally teams should have a salary cap, and should operate within strict guidelines so we don't see the Chelsea/ Man City blueprint continue.

I opened the link, looked at the picture of the prick who wrote it then read the first few lines...

'We don’t want too many Leicester Citys.”

These were the words spoken by a senior figure from the Premier League’s ‘big six’ clubs, in the kind of high-end London hotel you can easily imagine.'

Then I didn't bother. I don't read single posts on here that make me have to scroll down on my phone, so I'm not reading some knob head from the Independent spouting off shite (I love the irony that this post if anyone reads it will make them have to scroll down) .

Did he go on to mention who actually said the "We don't want too many Leicester City's" in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    I opened the link, looked at the picture of the prick who wrote it then read the first few lines...

'We don’t want too many Leicester Citys.”

These were the words spoken by a senior figure from the Premier League’s ‘big six’ clubs, in the kind of high-end London hotel you can easily imagine.'

Then I didn't bother. I don't read single posts on here that make me have to scroll down on my phone, so I'm not reading some knob head from the Independent spouting off shite (I love the irony that this post if anyone reads it will make them have to scroll down) .

Did he go on to mention who actually said the "We don't want too many Leicester City's" in the article?
    First up, how dare your lazy ass outsource the hard reading.

Good call/intuition all the same.

It fit on my phone screen.

No, he didn't name the alleged person.

Nor did he consider how pivotal the favourite and underdog story is in sport and life, the David and Goliath story.

The guys well off the mark anyway, IF clubs are run properly, with the amount of money all Premier League clubs get from TV money now and the wages that allows them to pay that are above what most other league's pay and with good recruitment and the right manager there isn't any reason they can't all build up. There is only a small select group of clubs that pay well in excess of what they could offer to attract very good players who would enable them to build up and get into the Europa League or Champions League

You only have to look at where we are in the net spend rankings in the Premier League to realise that
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by LFC vs PFC View Post
    Didn't get too far into it, but the premise is spot on. Football has become a sport comfortable with keeping the rich, rich.

Take for example the FA not doing anything about the richest clubs wooing and keeping hold of dozens of players from youth academies across the country/globe just in case they become good. It's strangling the life out of the lower leagues and meaning that a lot of players don't fulfil their potential tial just to sign for Liverpool/Chelsea/Man Utd.

Another example is that fuck all is done about abusing FFP or respecting the ref, or tapping up other teams. In co trust look what rugby did; relegate Saracens (the sport's biggest club) for breaching their rules. Love it or hate it, rugby has always put morals above keeping their big stars/teams sweet. The recent exception to this is allowing Folau to sign for the Catalan Dragons, but even that is being done under massive protest.

John Terry, an unapologetic racist, has been allowed to flourish in the game after a police investigation.

Football left its morals at the door a long time ago.

I'd love to see FA cup ties hand all proceeds of matches between premier league teams and lower division teams to the other team; giving the other team a real boost.
    I'd like to see a maximum number of youth players in teams, and an end to the stockpiling that currently goes on.
    I'd like to see the FA grow a set of bollocks and implement the sanctions for diving and the respect the ref campaigns properly.
    I'd like to see proper sanctions for teams found deliberately breaking these rules.

Finally teams should have a salary cap, and should operate within strict guidelines so we don't see the Chelsea/ Man City blueprint continue.
    I don't want to alarm anybody, but I think I might be God!