Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2629303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Manchester City banned

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I get what you are saying Noods about the right way but we are lucky as are Utd that the big money rolled into football in the 90s had it been say 40/50's you could argue Blackpool Preston Stokes would be giants of England.

The fact is there is NO WAY Norwich for example can win the league without huge help.

You can say Leicester well 2 things one they were hoing into admin paid 10p in the £1 so got off lightly and they are also backed pretty well too.

As for City fcuk em they signed to say they agreed with FFP and didn't nothing anyone can do about it as money is king
    Both us and the Mancs were already massive clubs long before the big tv money came into the game. Yes the Red Mancs were fortunate that everything fell into place for them at exactly the right time, but lets not pretend we're talking about a team such as 'Total Network Solutions'. As for us, 'we' (namely those in charge of us) did not capitalise on this change in the financial landscape.

Norwich can win the league if they do things in the right way and are prepared to wait, something that very few people/institutions are prepared to do. As they say, it takes around ten thousand hours of practice to become an expert in something. Only those who are extremely talented taste success a lot earlier. Expecting the former without the latter is asking for both trouble and disappointment.

The problem teams like Norwich have is if they have a gem he will be tapped up and it becomes impossible to build.

Grealish is by far best player at Villa but if City/Us/Utd come in he will want to go and he is a Villa fan !

The problem teams like Norwich have is if they have a gem he will be tapped up and it becomes impossible to build.

Grealish is by far best player at Villa but if City/Us/Utd come in he will want to go and he is a Villa fan !
    That's because both players and most club's owners are very focused on the short term, something that is much more understandable when it comes to the players due to only having a limited window to make the most of their career and any talent they may posses.

The issue with most clubs is that they are now largely owned by businessmen who see football clubs as more of a business/money making opportunity than a sporting institution, meaning they operate in a similar fashion i.e. maximum profit for minimum expenditure, hopefully over a short period of time. So if they have a choice between selling a player for £50m, or keeping them and having to invest a fair chunk of change over a number of years in an attempt (there are no guarantees) to become successful, unfortunately the vast majority of club owners are going to go with the former approach.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    That's because both players and most club's owners are very focused on the short term, something that is much more understandable when it comes to the players due to only having a limited window to make the most of their career and any talent they may posses.

The issue with most clubs is that they are now largely owned by businessmen who see football clubs as more of a business/money making opportunity than a sporting institution, meaning they operate in a similar fashion i.e. maximum profit for minimum expenditure, hopefully over a short period of time. So if they have a choice between selling a player for £50m, or keeping them and having to invest a fair chunk of change over a number of years in an attempt (there are no guarantees) to become successful, unfortunately the vast majority of club owners are going to go with the former approach.
    I don’t disagree with that but player power rules.

City were an absolute no mark club the West Ham of the north but with the oil money they are now a major club in the world that was all I was saying without that money they get absolutely nowhere near the CL let alone the title.

I don’t disagree with that but player power rules.

City were an absolute no mark club the West Ham of the north but with the oil money they are now a major club in the world that was all I was saying without that money they get absolutely nowhere near the CL let alone the title.
    Perhaps not in the short term, but it is possible for a club to make great strides, if not actually make it to the top as long as they are prepared to do things in the right way and are patient.

I want the prowess of players, managers and owners to be the deciding factors on whether a club is successful or not. Not how much money the owners have at their disposal/get away with spending when that money was not 'earned'. If a few more clubs get taken over and are operated in a similar way to that of Man City, I can see a European super league happening sooner rather than later.

How is that the case when they effectively give the likes of Man City and PSG (and possibly Newcastle as well if the FA are as useless and 'easily persuaded' as they always are) carte blanche to spend what the hell they like?

As with every other area of sport/life e.g. women's football, individuals/institutions should aim to get to the top the same way as 'most' (it should really be everyone) gets to the top i.e. slowly/over time. Does everyone think that the likes of us or the Red Mancs just clicked their fingers and became they massive clubs we are overnight?

Leicester have done alright, though some would say they haven't built upon their league title, but it still shows that it can be done if you are willing to do things in the right way and do not expect overnight success. Unfortunately we are living during a period of time whereby the "I want it all and I want it now" approach to life is all too prevalent.

FFP 'should' be there to ensure that clubs don't spend more than their means, and others don't inflate their 'means' and do things in the way I suggested above. At the moment neither seems to be happening as clubs are still going to the wall, whilst others are spending vast sums of money that they quite clearly did not earn.

FFP isn't currently worth the paper it's written on, which should come as no surprise whatsoever given UEFA's track record when it comes to their incompetence and propensity to be 'easily persuaded'.
    If FFP is adhered to then Newcastle will not be able to 'buy' their way into the upper echelons of the game as Chelsea/City/PSG have. Newcastle are in better position than those in and around there status as they have a great stadium and have a good starting point.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    If FFP is adhered to then Newcastle will not be able to 'buy' their way into the upper echelons of the game as Chelsea/City/PSG have. Newcastle are in better position than those in and around there status as they have a great stadium and have a good starting point.
    Make no mistake, if they get taken over by the Saudi's they will try to get to the top in exactly the same way, though they may be even more sneaky/underhand given what they've seen/learnt from the 'mistakes' that Man City have made. On top of that you can be certain that they'll use their loyal fan base/stadium size to try and justify the mass spending that they will almost certainly indulge in.

Make no mistake, if they get taken over by the Saudi's they will try to get to the top in exactly the same way, though they may be even more sneaky/underhand given what they've seen/learnt from the 'mistakes' that Man City have made. On top of that you can be certain that they'll use their loyal fan base/stadium size to try and justify the mass spending that they will almost certainly indulge in.
    If the Newcastle deal were to go through the potential Saudi owners are literally valued at over 1 TRILLION dollars. They could literally make City’s spending look inadequate. It would be a disaster for the league.

Who would Newcastle buy though?? They could pay anyone 600/700 thousand a week if they chose to. But what top player who wants to win things would just go there? No amount of money wins you success any way,look at Everton.You need a teem ethos.
    But we do know when baldies contract is up to Man-city. if he knows Newcastle will give him 2 billion in a day. He would be there like a shot.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Who would Newcastle buy though?? They could pay anyone 600/700 thousand a week if they chose to. But what top player who wants to win things would just go there? No amount of money wins you success any way,look at Everton.You need a teem ethos.
    But we do know when baldies contract is up to Man-city. if he knows Newcastle will give him 2 billion in a day. He would be there like a shot.
    City aint done too bad!........but then again that was more than just an amount of money...lol