Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 20 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can we improve?

Where can we improve?

Well, we can always and are always looking to improve within what we have and Jurgen, the staff and all our players are always working really hard to do that, but outside of what we already have, where can we improve?

In a lot of threads most posters here say if we signed someone they aren't going to play, as if what we have and are doing right now can't be improved on, when by Jurgen and the players admissions it most certainly can. I don't subscribe for one minute to the point of view that any signings wouldn't play, healthy competition for places is a fundamental requirement for evolution, as is introducing new players to what we have already who have different skill sets the other players can learn from and benefit from while they learn and benefit from those of the existing players.

Quality strength in depth

We have a fair amount of that already, however it could be a lot better, we never replaced Sturridge, or Moreno and Shaqiri and Lallana will likely move on this summer, surely we're going to replace them with stronger options who fit better into what we currently do and in an effort to evolve what we do even further, to make us even more formidable and give us even greater strength in depth and ability to win games in even more different ways?

Key areas where we can improve

Well, belatedly adding another top quality forward to replace Sturridge so we can have some rotation and rest for our forwards so all 4 top quality forwards are playing plenty of games and they are all always playing at their best possible levels, we need that moving forward and we're definitely going to need it next season, so we really should get that forward in this summer. I think it has always been Jurgen's intention, as improving other areas, but like the Guiness man 'He waits, that's what he does' I think he's been waiting for the player he really wants.

Watching all our games the most obvious area we can improve as an evolutionary step through bringing a player in, who would obviously be built up and brought steadily into everything as next season progresses is LCM. What Gini does at LCM is absolutely brilliant, but, it also has certain limitations that inhibit the further evolution and expansion of the team, our game and our ability to create numerous additional options through which we can win games.

On our right side Hendo, Trent, Oxlade and Keita all have a very good right to left switch and create with balls through the channels, down the line or over the top of opposition defences. However, we don't have this same ability at LCM, Robbo has a great left to right switch when found in certain positions, Mane will come central to gain possession to then switch the ball right. Gini is more a cog in the machine, keeping the ball in tight areas, using great skill and strength to then give it to either Robbo or Mane most frequently, which is also incredibly important, but all our players on the right also do that and have the greater creativity in their passing.

So if there was one major evolutionary signing for a position we could make, for me it would be at LCM, if such a player exists or is available. The player will obviously need to be equally as capable as Gini in all the vital 'cog in the machine' activities he performs, or have everything to become as capable as no new player will be thrown straight in, or is needed to be. For me such a player would ideally be left footed for natural balance and have greater vision, awareness, creative playmaking and goal assisting and scoring skills sets and of course have a terrific left to right switch. Even just having that left to right switch so both our LB and LCM could switch the ball as expertly at will as our RB and RCM would make a huge difference in our ability to create more situations and find more ways to open sides up, win games and win them more comfortably, facilitating more opportunities for rest and introducing different players into games, so further evolution and experience opportunities in that also.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think CB is also an area we can improve, as I view it at the moment, we have Virgil who is our best CB who always plays LCB and the other 3 all play RCB and of those 3 if we wanted to rest Virgil, we'd ideally be resting Joe too, but Joe is the one out of those 3 I'm certain most of us would trust more than any of the others to play at LCB, I wouldn't in fact trust either of the others at LCB if we wanted to rest Virgil. As players are still developing and at least another season off breaking through, if we wanted to give Trent a Premier League or Champions League rest, Joe is our best option for RB too.

So ideally, we need an upgrade on Lovren who is comfortable playing LCB or RCB which might explain the Diego Carlos link as I think he fits that criteria. I don't see that happening this summer though, I think Lovren will be allowed to see out his contract. If we were resting Virgil and Joe for a game any time soon, my inclination would likely be to play Fabinho at LCB paired by Matip

Well, actually been checking some stats, watching some youtubes, there were a lot of times last season when Matip and Virgil crossed over or Matip ended up at LCB covering Virgil and when they were paired they were about even on headed clearances from corners and free kicks, so Matip is probably the best option for us to play at LCB when we we're giving Big Virgil a rest, as much as Lovren's improved this season, I do not trust him at LCB, I have too many memories of him having disasters in the LCB slot and for me he never seems completely comfortable there. I thought Matip and Virgil had crossed over a fair bit, but maybe I overlooked Matip as I don't recall him ever starting a game at LCB and a lot of CB's play far better on one side than the other.

For me Matip is easily our second best defender technically, positionally, aerially and at reading the game after Virgil, Gomez is excellent, but he still relies on pace and going to ground to compensate for not reading it as well and his positioning not being as great as Virgil's or Matip's and he isn't as strong in the air.

Midfield striker LB the LB and midfielder could be young upcoming lads

Striker/winger I want someone who is bloody good, blablaaaa won't start etc..well whoeber it is will, plenty of chances, I think the current front 3 would be better with some rotation.

I'm sorry but Origi or Ox on left simply aren't good enough, same with Lallana and Lovren, all could be replaced (apart from Ox)

For the first time in 30 years we ahave a team/squad where we are saying we're 2 or 3 players short of a really good team.

We now have a fantastic base to make sure we continue to be at the top of the game.

We cant let it it get to the stage that Souness found himself in 1992 where he had an aging side that did need replacing (eventually). He made a total balls of it. He tried to change too many players and brought in players who were far inferior to their predecessors.

We're no longer in the situtaion where if we say lose Salah to Madrid that we've lost a talisman and we panic cos we dont know where the goals will come from ala Torres, Suarez or Gerrard.

We should be in the most part be able to bring in like for like players.

We also have a good number of decent youngsters who I think will be a part of the squad in the future. Williams, Jones, Elliott all look like decent players in the making.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

As for actually improving the first team, say for next season. I think as you've mentioned Gini's place is the one that is probabaly up for grabs.

Best Keeper in the world
    Best CB in the world
    Two of the best fullbacks in the world
    Arguably the best forward line in the world

The midfield is the weakest area on paper. But as was discussed about 3 months ago it works. They do their job perfectly.

As i queried in that thread, would you swap any of our midfielders for Paul Pogba? A talented footballer no doubt, more so than any of our midfielders but eh wouldn't get anywhere near our team.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Pogba would destroy our midfield.

....but not in a good way.

Thank god, our recruitment team don't just look at the name of a player.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post

We cant let it it get to the stage that Souness found himself in 1992 where he had an aging side that did need replacing
    THIS is exactly what I'm also alluding to as well as improving on what we already do, as I don't believe you can stand still when the opportunity to improve even further and potentially bring in one highly evolutionary player at the right age to prevent exactly what you're talking about happening, with midfield in particular being an area we need to look at in that respect.

As we play and for becoming ingrained in our mentality and learning and evolving the roles and responsibilities from the best in the business, for smooth transition and continuity and so those players are reaching their peak as others are perhaps winding down a little, I think it is really important we address that this summer.

I think we have to bring in a backup for Robbo. If he picks up another yellow card, he'll miss the next CL game, assuming we get through.
    I'd like to see another quality mobile striker to give our top trio some rest.

Not a personnel thing - and I wouldn't want us to employ the Dark Arts regularly like Atletico, but could we be a touch more cynical?

In terms of recruitment (which we are excellent at) I would love us to find the closest thing to 07/08 Torres possible and if there is a player out there who can contribute to the team's defensive set-up like Henderson and Wijnaldum whilst contributing to the attack like a top no. 10 I would be all over that, but such players are Hen's Teeth.

I would love to see a 4-2-3-1 deployed with Firmino as a 10/false 9 hybrid with Werner or whoever ahead of him - not necessarily for every game, but something akin to that. Even having Mane up there and someone else (keeping standards high) filling in on the left would be great - again, not for every match, but for some.

We win a lot of games by 1-goal margins (a 2-1 win to us at Anfield against Atletico won't do) and I would love to see more sprinklings of a capacity to get a 3-0 or 4-0 more often.

Hard to improve such a good machine but we can and should!