Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can we improve?

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Grealish?, f@ck that with his poncy hair, tight shorts and bloody ankle socks.............no.
    He can look like whatever. Absolute quality player who'd fit right in this Liverpool team. Nearest thing Englesi have to Gascoigne.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Didn't realise he was 29 like. Still be worth it, good 5 years left in him.
    Really wish we had got De Ligt last summer.
    We should go for Varane. Klopp probably wont even go for a CB, might bring Hoever in to replace Lovren.
    Just looked and yeah he will be 29 in June, so will be that age when a team tries to buy him in the summer.
    We have 3 quality defenders in Van Djik Gomez and Matip,Lovren may want to leave to get more playing time. So that will leave us with 3. With Matips injury record. You never quite sure if he will break down at any time. So we do need a back up centre back
    Never heard of Varane. De ligt by all accounts is having a bad patch for Juventus. So we may have done well not to go in for him
    Leader of all..master of none..

Varane is Real's CB. Constantly linked with Utd but god knows why. Doubt they could land him now.

Didn't realise he was 29 like. Still be worth it, good 5 years left in him.
    Really wish we had got De Ligt last summer.
    We should go for Varane. Klopp probably wont even go for a CB, might bring Hoever in to replace Lovren.
    Considering we already have 3 of our top players who will be going to AFCON and the organisers don't seem to be relenting on holding it every 2 years instead of every four and are going to continue holding it during our season meaning any of our players involved miss as many as 8 games as on top of all that they're planning to extend the fucking thing, I think it's likely we'll try and avoid signing players who play in it, I don't see us paying 90m for a new 29 year old CB partner for Virgil who's going to be away at a crucial time of the season every 2 years

The organisers of AFCON have no respect for the players or any of the teams who employ them how the Guinea manager was with Keita sums up how most AFCON nations national managers are too/ The organisers are just greedy bastards trying to line their own pockets, the tournament is getting more popular on account of the players who play at top clubs who are involved in it, but I think in their greed they're going to kill the golden goose and take African football backwards, most really serious top clubs will look elsewhere for players because of how AFCON's organisers and the coaches of the teams involved behave.

We've missed Keita for a lot of this season because of niggling injuries that were follow on injuries from Guinea playing him when he was injured and this was a season we needed him fit and to give him a run of games, we're now 2 thirds of the way through the season and won't have that opportunity. If they move it to being 4 yearly like the European Championships and like the Copa America organisers have done fair enough, otherwise, they can just fuck off, they're not doing it for African football, they're doing ti to line their own pockets
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 3rd March 2020 at 02:54 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

He can look like whatever. Absolute quality player who'd fit right in this Liverpool team. Nearest thing Englesi have to Gascoigne.
    He's overrated because he's English, always has been, no doubt about that. Let City or Spurs have him for his no doubted over inflated fee.

Fernandes pisses all over him, 19x really messed up when he gave up on that one!
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Fernandes pisses all over him, 19x really messed up when he gave up on that one!
    Lol I didn't give up on him, it was a season too early last summer and I did resurrect my interest in the January window I think Rabian Ruiz is better and will offer a lot more to our set up than Fernandes would have, quite similar players except Ruiz has played in bigger leagues and the Champions League and as a natural left footer who can play at either No8 or at RFWD or LFWD he will give us greater balance and creativity in our midfield 3 and give us far superior options for RFWD in particular, scored two absolute worldlies from distance coming in on his left from RFWD in the last 3 games.

I really think we should also go for Soumare, I think we need another player in our midfield ranks as a long term successor to Hendo and who offers those same incredible levels of natural box to box fitness, drive and combative nature that we desperately miss when Hendo's not available and even sorely missed in 3 games he was subbed with 15-20 minutes left to play and had to then make further subs to make up for his absence even in that short period of a game.

I think that box to box combative midfielder with those incredible levels of natural fitness is a pretty key part of our midfield make up and balance and give us a lot more drive and tenacity and we only have one of them, there aren't many of those players in the game these days and I think it's important we make sure we're always able to field a team with that element in our midfield and always make sure we have that long term, those are my reasons for banging on about Soumare. It would give us incredible options, we could play Hendo RCM and Soumare LCM in the games against the Barca's, Bayern's and City's who look to pass you to death and whose main creative players do most of their best work in those areas, that would be pretty awesome in my book

Edit: I'm sure Jurgen and the recruitment team have irons in the fire looking for that combative box to box midfielder, I really fucking hope they do, I think it's so important to our balance and drive, I've been looking who there is for ages as I've always seen it as crucial in the here and now and long term and there are hardly any of them around, they are undoubtedly aware of ones that I'm not though. I can think of Soumare and Rice, the latter isn't as good as Soumare, doesn't demonstrate desirable elements in his play that show shades of Hendo and Gini already and would be well overpriced as being English (although he's actually Irish) he's vastly overrated. Others linked for the position like Tonali are good players, but they don't have that same box to box incredible natural fitness, drive and combative nature, so I'm not so keen on them
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 3rd March 2020 at 03:48 PM.

Up front Werner is obvious

In midfield for me it's a case of finding players or at least one player who has the same athleticism and tenacity and ability to out strength, out muscle and bully opposition midfields who are better creatively for our set up, as in they have good left to right and right to left switches and centre to left and right balls and the longer left to right and right to left balls in their locker already, or at least add another one of that type, I think we've been missing having another one of that type for a while now. If we have another one of that type, I think that supports having a more creative third midfielder who can learn our pressing and counter pressing who doesn't necessarily need to be as much of an animal

We really aren't all that good at playing through midfield. When we counter we are great - though admittedly it's often via a big diagonal switch (Robertson or Van Dijk to Salah for example) or cross-field switch (Trent to Robertson) or balls over the top via the half-spaces.

When greeted with a low block and permitted to have the ball in midfield, we seem to spend too much time in working the ball horizontally until we shape an opportunity for a cross.

Various midfielders have copped flack from our fans for being "workers" and not "creators" at various points in Klopp's tenure - Henderson and Milner particularly, Wijnaldum too - but no matter the personnel, the problem persists.

I don't see our midfielders getting ahead of the ball and running a channel in anticipation of a pass, outside of maybe Keita, who, much as I am a big fan of his, is inconsistent in terms of availability and quality.

In terms of the next "evolution" of the side, I am desperate for more one-touch, one-twos and through balls - Minamino produced a beautiful pass for Mane tonight that was akin to the ones Gerrard would provide for Torres and it was so refreshing to see as we don't utilise those types of passes nearly enough.

I'm sure there is a reason (data analysts predicting loss of possession and a turnover perhaps?) but I hope we find a way.

We're also not winning the second ball right now but that seems a more recent development. Whether it's due to the form dip or the accumulative increased work-rate caused by Hendo's presence, I don't know - but we could do with fixing that as well.

Onwards and upwards - let's get back to finding the percentage gains again.

Anfield expects.
    Last edited by Insidious; 3rd March 2020 at 10:54 PM.

Agree with that Sid. Personally think midfield needs surgery in the summer. It needs some stardust, it's the only area that doesn't have any.

We are either workmanlike with Milner and Gini which isnt a bad thing in terms of application but lacks guile. You've then got the 50 percenters Ox and Keita who go missing and aren't good enough for regular starting berths and that's not going to change in my opinion.

I genuinely think Grealish would fit this side perfectly, He'd compliment a combo of Hendo/Fab/,Gini brilliantly and looks to me like the kind of player you're describing.

So my best 11 next season with my signings, all four forward will play some part in every game and Werner will start mostly LFWD and RFWD so everyone's fresh and playing at peak

Allisson

Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson

Soumare Hendo Ruiz

Salah Firmino Mane

Against the Barca's. Bayerns, PSGs and Citys

Allisson

Henderson Fabinho Soumare

Salah Firmino Mane

When Hendo's rested

Allisson

Soumare Fabinho Gini/Ruiz

Salah Firmino Mane

During Afcon

Allisson

Henderson Fabinho Soumare

Ruiz Firmino Werner