Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can we improve?

A thread has popped up on Twitter saying that we have a near-post weakness when defending set pieces and can't cope when the opposition shape is a wide 4-4-2 to nullify our full-backs, as we don't create enough centrally.

Not really a surprise, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    A thread has popped up on Twitter saying that we have a near-post weakness when defending set pieces and can't cope when the opposition shape is a wide 4-4-2 to nullify our full-backs, as we don't create enough centrally.

We should move salah to the middle of midfield amc in the second half of these games, like we did in his first season and let him pick up the ball and get running at them. We dont try this sort of thing as it is.

Yep - and I am amazed it isnít common knowledge... We never did replace Coutinho... We have plugged up most of the glaring holes we had in the wake of his sale BUT we totally forgot to replace that threat and invention from behind the front 3. It nearly cost us champions league football in 2019 - needing to win our last game v Brighton to qualify...! It potentially cost us a CL in Kiev and has been a problem quite often this season too ( though we have dug out results ) - especially in European away games.

There is no earthly reason why we donít have that type of player - not that I can see - no reason other than funds perhaps?
    Last edited by Steveo; 5th March 2020 at 10:50 AM.

The 2 banks of 4 has been going on against most teams this season but we've managed to get past it. That's why we've had so many 1 goal victories.

We definitely dont create enough from the middle and that's down to not having enough high end quality in midfield. Something that has to be sorted this summer but I dont think we'll see much change. We've had points in seasons where we seem to have been sussed out but it's more like just a blip I think. We have enough classy win the majority of our games.

I personally think there will be one brought in to replace Banana, hopefully someone who can be a starter rather than just a squad addition.

It's easy to pick holes after a couple of defeats, where have they been for past 14 months ?
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    It's easy to pick holes after a couple of defeats, where have they been for past 14 months ?
    The signs have been blatantly obvious mate - to me and many others at least. I have been consistent in saying - we have been getting great results. Watch the games - so many of them on a knife edge. Itís often the way sides win a title BUT that doesnít mean it is the best way. Itís a strain both physically and mentally - we are seeing that now. Hopefully we snap out of it and recover - but who knows..

As I said many people only see results. That isnít the whole picture.
    Last edited by Steveo; 5th March 2020 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Yep - and I am amazed it isnít common knowledge... We never did replace Coutinho... We have plugged up most of the glaring holes we had in the wake of his sale BUT we totally forgot to replace that threat and invention from behind the front 3. It nearly cost us champions league football in 2019 - needing to win our last game v Brighton to qualify...! It potentially cost us a CL in Kiev and has been a problem quite often this season too ( though we have dug out results ) - especially in European away games.

There is no earthly reason why we donít have that type of player - not that I can see - no reason other than funds perhaps?
    It's a bit strange isn't it? Klopp tried to replace Coutinho with Fekir. That move fell through and there hasn't been any move to find a similar player

We've covered the deficiency well all season up to now, but It imo was there all along. Just our will to keep going to the final whistle and our ability to force mistakes kept us ticking over in games where we struggled. I think for next season we need 1 or 2 more strings to our bow or we wont be winning major trophies for long.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    We've covered the deficiency well all season up to now, but It imo was there all along. Just our will to keep going to the final whistle and our ability to force mistakes kept us ticking over in games where we struggled. I think for next season we need 1 or 2 more strings to our bow or we wont be winning major trophies for long.
    Pretty much the perfect description and plan of action IMO.

I dont think its hole picking but I get what you mean. I've been quite steadfast about our midfield saying it's fine , results have shown that whereas Steveo,Noodle and few others has said for a while it needs more guile and it's probably the next way of evolving this team.
    We have improved in the way we can now see out games much better than the frantic nature we were once used to but we have needed more creativity in the midfield for long enough.
    We've got 3 quality mids. Hendo,Gini,Fab but none of them are that bit of star quality in terms if creativity. The others we have are not top end and that's where the improvement is required I'd say.