Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids heading the ball

Kids heading the ball

Hundreds of thousands of players played the game over 100's of years, constantly heading the ball, many of them with far heavier balls than are currently used, 99% of them did not develop issues later in life from doing so, stopping kids from heading the ball because some scientific study has made findings that aren't supported by the life history of 99% of people who ever played the game is just absolutely ridiculous

Kids box, kids do martial arts and all kind of things that result in them getting more whacks and greater impact on their heads than heading a football, are we going to stop kids doing all those things too?
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think it's garbage too.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

Coaching u6s through to u18s

We did do drills on heading
    And heading techniques

Today also many academies try to keep the ball on the ground and construct from the back

I remember a few times over the 10 years where a young player headed bladly and felt a bit dizzy

Also the size 4 ball is very light

So heading a football causes dementia but boxing causes Parkinson's disease. But not in everyone. Not even in a majority.

Presumably all the footballers they studied were players from decades ago. Such a lot has changed since then.

One recent study was of footballers born between 1900 and 1976 - so some of them lived through two world wars!!!

Not just former footballers but "former Scottish male professional footballers born 1900-1976". It is not known if heavy drinking, smoking or deep fried mars bars were a factor.

Interesting that the Alzheimers Society are being more cautious about whether it is due to heading a ball, and they suggest it could be due to any head trauma or collision during a game. Other studies suggest that even one concussion could be enough to adversely affect the brain.

I remember when I was a lad there were warnings about 'head-banging' to loud heavy rock music...

As someone with some insight on this issue, I have to say that we/parents should at least be made aware of what could potentially happen, especially as it's easy to dismiss any potential issues as they may not manifest themselves for a very long period of time.

Plenty of man-city fans have brain damage.Not from heading the ball but instead a wall. In frustration at "the conspiracy" of UEFA run on behalf of Liverpool!
    Leader of all..master of none..

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Plenty of man-city fans have brain damage.Not from heading the ball but instead a wall. In frustration at "the conspiracy" of UEFA run on behalf of Liverpool!
    "Aaang on! Aaang on!"...... In fairness, there's not much to damage.
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Rugby players will also be very much at risk due to the amount of collisions during any game.
    Players have been heading footballs for more than a hundred years, why is it only recently that people are looking at possible damage caused to the players?
    Think about the leather footballs used years ago, particularly when they were wet.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Rugby players will also be very much at risk due to the amount of collisions during any game.
    Players have been heading footballs for more than a hundred years, why is it only recently that people are looking at possible damage caused to the players?
    Think about the leather footballs used years ago, particularly when they were wet.
    To be fair hockey goalies didn't use to wear masks until the 70s (?), but I'm sure we all agree those are a good idea.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

This is another case of 'society' demanding that we all run at the same pace as the slowest kid in class. So as no one 'gets left behind'.....

Phuck that! KILL AND EAT THE WEAK BITCHEZ.!!
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!