Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485152535455565758

Thread: Liverpool v Atletico Madrid (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    We absolutely hammered them for 95 minutes!
    And yet we still lost.

I'm still peed off about it. Us not being able to claim the title isn't helping either, nor is a resurfacing article on the BBC about Adrian scoring a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    And yet we still lost.

I'm still peed off about it. Us not being able to claim the title isn't helping either, nor is a resurfacing article on the BBC about Adrian scoring a goal.
    Unfortunately, you just can't legislate for some things, not getting Matip match fit during the 13 game period our team press and counter press was absolutely out of this world was a major oversight in my opinion, but going into the Atletico game, it was too late to rectify that.

Had Matip been match fit and played, I believe we wouldn't have conceded either of the first 2 goals despite Adrian's initial error for the first because he is a vastly more experienced defender whose positioning, reading of the game, decision making and how he reacts to situations that aren't one's we usually have to defend because he has a lot more experience of having had to do that in over 280 games. He demonstrated his capacity in this with some aplomb at the back end of last season

Allisson was out injured, we had no option but to play Adrian, he made 4 very bad errors, his head very clearly having 'gone' after the first one, a player unused to playing in such massive games who doesn't have the mentality for them, the pressure of having to stand in for the world's best keeper probably adds to that too and Virgil and Gomez blocking his line of sight entirely before moving out of the way of the shots that results in both goals v Chelsea and him getting blamed for both probably didn't help either.

It's football, sometimes shit happens that you simply can't legislate for

Don't be angry, there's no point Noods

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

You actually can legislate for such things, especially when you've previously been bitten on the backside on a few occasions. For far too long we've relied on a small group of quality players, and as soon as one or two of them are missing we start having problems.

Our squad should be much better than it is. Until that changes we are going to be susceptible to things going awry if one or two key personnel are missing. The gap in quality (both physically and mentally) between some of our players is and has been far too big. People keep arguing that we can't get good+ players to possibly (I'd like to see some competition) sit on our bench, but we can. The main sticking point is however whether our owners will do what is necessary. I personally don't think they will.

Klopp won't be around for ever and we need to make hay while the sun shines.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    You actually can legislate for such things, especially when you've previously been bitten on the backside on a few occasions. For far too long we've relied on a small group of quality players, and as soon as one or two of them are missing we start having problems.

Our squad should be much better than it is. Until that changes we are going to be susceptible to things going awry if one or two key personnel are missing. The gap in quality (both physically and mentally) between some of our players is and has been far too big. People keep arguing that we can't get good+ players to possibly (I'd like to see some competition) sit on our bench, but we can. The main sticking point is however whether our owners will do what is necessary. I personally don't think they will.

Klopp won't be around for ever and we need to make hay while the sun shines.
    I disagree with those people too for most positions, but it is going to be really very hard to get a No2 keeper who is anywhere near as good as Allisson. We have been linked with Ugurcan Cakir for 2 seasons now, he is an exceptional up and coming keeper, I think he is our best bet that I have seen us linked with as at 23 he can develop the right mentality, when a player's got to Adrian's age without having developed it, it's incredibly difficult for them to do so.

I've argued for 2 seasons that there's no reason we can't add a fourth top top quality forward

The midfield issue has really just come about because of our constant evolution as a team and other teams developing new ways to defend better against us. What we need/needed has kept changing, who our best player for No6 and RCM No8 is has kept changing.

Gini didn't need to have a top quality switch, left to right diagonal, pin point ball over opposition low blocks or their full back or to be more creative and neither did Fabinho, but as teams have got better and better at defending against our attacking full backs, all our midfielders having those switches, long diagonals and balls over the top and a bit greater creativity has become more important and is the next step in our evolution. Gini's already been working on his left to right switch and it's already been very good

When you used to moan about our lack of creativity in midfield, it really wasn't an issue at that time, teams couldn't deal with our attacking full backs who our No8's supported playing further forward in positions midfielders would traditionally occupy and our full backs were getting more assists than most midfielders usually do and our forwards were getting more assists than most others usually do.

That worked exceptionally well for us to a season and a half, now we have to sign and No6 who can also play either No8 and another No8 both with the defensive, team pressing and counter pressing and physical abilities of Hendo and Gini, both with all the passes mentioned above and a bit more creativity.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”