Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Net Spend

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Thanks for that.....but I've just realised my question could easily be misread.....I was actually asking what did we pay for him.... In the past there was a lot of focus on bad transfers...but there have been gems along the way...hopefully now the process has been fine tuned....especially the guy doing the negotiations.
    Ah, gotcha!

Transfermarkt thinks it was £11.7m so we did alright!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Ah, gotcha!

Transfermarkt thinks it was £11.7m so we did alright!
    Wow......

Pretty sure it was £8.5m

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Pretty sure it was £8.5m
    And you'd be right.....
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Pretty sure it was £8.5m
    Yeah I'm a bit confused about this.

Transfermarkt is usually quite reliable, but my gut instinct was £12m-ish for Sturridge and £8m-ish for Coutinho as my (admittedly hazy) memory thought the combined fees amounted to about £20m.

We made one Hell of a profit on Coutinho either way.

Speaking of finances, we won't be paying Clyne for much longer. Would wish him all the best but I always like seeing spaces where funds can be freed up for better use.

At some point I might peruse the wages thread and work.out roughly what we spend on wages.

Think it's roughly £104m a year but wouldn't mind a more specific number.

It's not cheap holding onto your best players, but it's worth it.

I've been reading on the bbc that we have to sell 3 players to fund a Werner deal. It comes from the Athletic I'm near sure James Pearse writes for them now. So there could be some truth in it.
    Mad if true considering the money we've made over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I've been reading on the bbc that we have to sell 3 players to fund a Werner deal. It comes from the Athletic I'm near sure James Pearse writes for them now. So there could be some truth in it.
    Mad if true considering the money we've made over the past few years.
    Think the Kirkby project is around £50m, the Anfield Road extension expected to be around £60m and our (players) wage bill is about £104m-per year with the bill of all staff (players, fitness, analytics etc) must be a really sizeable number - factor in the nervousness about a Covid-19 influenced market, the Television and match revenue missed from not getting past the last-16 of the Champion's League and FSG's generally "lean" approach and I'm not surprised to hear we are attempting to sell to buy. I'd be a touch concerned if we HAD to sell to buy, but suspect it isn't like that.

We have Wilson, Grujic, Karius, Shaqiri and Origi on the books. Wilson and Grujic sure have potential, but looking at our points total and the fact we almost got past Atletico would suggest we wouldn't "miss" them terribly. Karius speaks for itself. Shaqiri is quality but injury-prone and probably not the most tactically disciplined. Origi is a cult hero who has scored some excellent goals for us, but deep down I think many of us feel he has achieved what he's going to achieve with us (he would struggle to usurp anyone in our front three realistically) but could command a decent fee due to scoring important Champion's League goals + still being relatively young.

We could probably sell those players (without really reducing our League / Champion's League chances in future seasons) for more than cost of Werner, plus their combined wages would surely cover his wage bill - plus he would improve our options/depth significantly and he is likely to have serious sell-on value by the time he has finished with us. I am fine with pursuing that approach. We'll need to be financially prudent in the times to come and we are thankfully off to a good start with FSG/Edwards anyway. I am all for the big "splash-outs" where needed (Alisson and Van Dijk) but that will be the exception, not the norm.