Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    I can't understand how the good ol'USA is so racist? I grew up in the late 70's (I was born in 1975) and even though there was slight racism where I lived (I grew up with a lot of different races as I lived in a council estate!), I never saw any hatred to anyone who wasn't white while I was growing up in our estate. I'm not sure what it's like now but my parents say it's still the same and I reckon the are right!
    Did you grow up in England? I was born in 72 and being mixed race I remember plenty.
    Every fight I had in school was because someone called me something they'd heard on tv from a comedian or in a tv show. Racism was everywhere in the 70's and 80's but it was dismissed as harmless banter, I guess for white people it was seen as nothing (just like for some it still is today), I can assure you casual racism hurts more than blatant hatred sometimes.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Did you grow up in England? I was born in 72 and being mixed race I remember plenty.
    Every fight I had in school was because someone called me something they'd heard on tv from a comedian or in a tv show. Racism was everywhere in the 70's and 80's but it was dismissed as harmless banter, I guess for white people it was seen as nothing (just like for some it still is today), I can assure you casual racism hurts more than blatant hatred sometimes.
    My question was more about how American's are so racist in that the police force seem to keep doing things like they did to George Floyd. Out of interest, do you still encounter the same kind of casual racism now as you did in the 70's?

There will be opportunists seeking to self promote and use this as a platform for their own agendas BUT the demonstrations are an absolute necessity!

The sickening brutality and murder of George Floyd by multiple Police officers is endemic of the irrefutable racism interwoven within US domestic policy.

This is nothing new folks - and if you want to see it on a much larger scale - just look at the way the richest nation on earth left the people of New Orleans to drown/die/starve in the wake of Katrina...! One of the biggest shames of our time...!

What is new here is perhaps the fact that it was all captured on camera AND that the Neo Liberal media are desperate to oust Trump!

I have said it before many many times.. The USA ( as a system ) is an utterly depraved nation. Money is all that is worshipped.

If they werenít the most powerful bully around AND didnít produce virtually all the content you watch - they would be globally shunned as a pariah state..

What has looting and wrecking your own areas got to do with BLM ?

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    It really beggars belief that is was so common place. Even shows like only fools and horses had it in. How as a human race was Jim Crow even thought of let alone allowed.
    I watched a netflix doc about Ssm Cooke recently, I had no idea how involved he was with the civil rights movement. He was good friends with Malcolm X and Ali. A real unsung hero at that time. Nina Simeone too, basically sacrificed her career for her beliefs. These are the real movers and shakers not people like Jay fucking Z and Beyonce Knowles.
    The artists like RATM and Public Enemy haven't had anywhere near as much credit for the things they have done in comparison to fake hungry,money chasers in the hip hop world.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    What has looting and wrecking your own areas got to do with BLM ?
    Logically absolutely nothing - and it is mostly those exploiting the distraction - BUT - it is also an expression of anger at the system. There is no justification for it BUT I 100% do understand it.

It should however in no way be used as an excuse to denounce legitimate protest at the injustices of an unequal society.

West nails it again....

MLK - people need to remember what the great man said.. Why he was killed and why we are not all more focussed on what he stood for...!!!
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd June 2020 at 11:39 AM.

And in 2016 West was ahead of the curve on this social experiment - even just after DJT was elected and Bernie had been cheated out the first time..

Flyod & Chauvin worked at the same nightclub according to the club owner for a year+. Chauvin out front and Flyod inside security.
    Theres a chance they knew each other and this was personal rather than racism. Also possible that Chauvin is just a dodgy brute of a cop.

Theres an awful lot of politics involved in these issues.
    In the last few weeks/months theres been video of blacks being refused entry to McDonalds and stores in china. China having moved on from blaming usa military for covid to blaming black africans for its spread.
    More slaves in the world today than at the height of the slave trade in America. Theyre not in usa or europe, so not of concern or politically expedient for this BLM movement.

Black community in america faring worse relatively today than 50-70 years ago.
    Absent fathers rates have rocketed in the black community over that timeframe. Thats associated with poorer childhood development, manifesting in higher rates of poverty and incarceration.
    White absent fathers rate has gone beyond the level it was in the black community back then when Patrick Moynihan spoke about it.

On average incomes, the disparity between blacks and whites is allegedly a function of systemic racism. Yet asians are the highest average earners in the usa, which imo falsifies the idea that black income gaps are due to systemic racism of whites. Asians were treated badly too in American history, yet they have risen to the top.
    Seems odd white racism could make blacks poorer and Asians richer than whites.

The black community in America today are relatively poorer than before.
    Being disproportionately poor can account for a lot of differnces between groups on race.

Had an interaction online with some BLM blacks in ireland yesterday.
    1 fella saying that not getting the grade he thought he should from college professors was proof positive of systemic racism against him and blacks, as was not getting offered every job he applied for also proof of racism.
    If youre gonna think every dissapointment is owing to systemic racism and your college work and job interview was exemplary, well youre hardly gonna get anywhere imo.

What an educated, erudite and supremely eloquent man he is. I could listen to him for hours. Brings a great sense of where we are at right now and not just with racism. And itís really not a good place.