Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter

@CC

Some reading on the Atlantic Slave trade... it's effects and legacy must surely be in order...? The Asian community ( this is a huge group of disperate ethnicities too ) in the USA have wildly different histories and context in the US to those - predominantly decedents of slavery - and of West African origin.
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd June 2020 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    What an educated, erudite and supremely eloquent man he is. I could listen to him for hours. Brings a great sense of where we are at right now and not just with racism. And it’s really not a good place.
    He is an amazing man and people need to listen...

And here he says it all..

A nonviolent revolutionary project of full-scale democratic sharing....

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    My question was more about how American's are so racist in that the police force seem to keep doing things like they did to George Floyd. Out of interest, do you still encounter the same kind of casual racism now as you did in the 70's?
    Personally nowhere near as much, but I don't go out of my way to look for/notice it.

There's absolutely no hope for America, they'll never ever get rid of it, sadly it's ingrained in their DNA.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Personally nowhere near as much, but I don't go out of my way to look for/notice it.

There's absolutely no hope for America, they'll never ever get rid of it, sadly it's ingrained in their DNA.
    It doesn't look like lessons were learned from the Rodney King incident when it comes to policing in America.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Awful way to go, horrible police officer
    It's not one officer though, is it? It's systemic. Even with George Floyd's case, three officers stood by or assisted with the murder.
    Seen some nice protests over there, the rioting and looting rather dark and ignoring the wishes of the mans family, some of the policing is awful too.

No fan of BLM though, think they are rather cancerous in ways. Promoting the idea that the black communities woes are down to systemic racism. Outsourcing responsibilty and negating action from within the community.
    How so? The troubles facing African Americans are multifaceted and so diverse, and the causes so varied. However, one of them is police brutality. Black Lives Matter was formed because of the increase in incidents where simple interactions between cops and African Americans would end up with the black guy dead. It's simple, a number (big enough to cause alarm) of cops in the US do not value African American lives. It would seem the society didn't as well because they stood by and watched numerous cops kill unarmed African Americans, get paid leave, before going back to work.
    Of the troubles facing African Americans, those caused by white people can only be resolved by white people. One of them is police brutality. But it's encouraging to see people from all races and walks of life get together for the cause.

Here's the alternate view, for anyone interested.
    Although the manner of this controversial death - the nasty choking - does require special attention, the protests are not concerned with that for the most part. It's worth mentioning that there was a white cop, Cody Holte, killed by a black guy this week, a white man, strangely, strangled in a similar way by a police officer, not to mention a white girl facing multiple attempted murder charges for throwing a molitov cocktail into a police car with four officers inside it during the protests. How many of them were black I don't know. Not much mention of these events.

My own opinion is that the attention this gets in this country is odd. We have our own house to look after. And if we are so concerned with police brutality or racism, why isn't everyone out protesting the Chinese all day long (for starters). Has no-one seen how they treat their own citizens, including those of other ethnic groups like the Uyghurs and Tibetans? I speak as someone who was arrested in 2008 for overzealous protesting against the Chinese Olympic torch parade on grounds of the systematic abuse of the people of Tibet.

Quote Originally Posted by murii View Post
    It's not one officer though, is it? It's systemic. Even with George Floyd's case, three officers stood by or assisted with the murder.

How so? The troubles facing African Americans are multifaceted and so diverse, and the causes so varied. However, one of them is police brutality. Black Lives Matter was formed because of the increase in incidents where simple interactions between cops and African Americans would end up with the black guy dead. It's simple, a number (big enough to cause alarm) of cops in the US do not value African American lives. It would seem the society didn't as well because they stood by and watched numerous cops kill unarmed African Americans, get paid leave, before going back to work.
    Of the troubles facing African Americans, those caused by white people can only be resolved by white people. One of them is police brutality. But it's encouraging to see people from all races and walks of life get together for the cause.
    How does it begin to change though? How can something that's pretty much part of a society be changed? The problem obviously gets bigger the further south you go in the U.S.
    How do you change beliefs that have been there for centuries? If this cant be addressed in this day and age its probably never going to be and that is a sad thing to say. 5 decades after Martin Luthor king and Malcolm X were assassinated and not much has changed for black people in the States aside from segregation being outlawed.
    The U.S has some deep rooted problems, some of which are mentioned on the videos that Steveo posted. Their obsession with material things,image,money etc. This is something that's spread across all of western society. I see it in the way my children talk about things, the things they're interested in and as a parent it's very difficult to say No to things that all other children have/do. The whole social media culture has had nothing but a negative effect on how we live in my opinion. We could lose it all tomorrow and we wouldn't have actually lost a single thing.

Minneapolis is almost Canada. Any further north and you are saying letís go uutside instead of outside.

It might appear to be a problem of Dixie but it is simply ingrained into the fabric of the USA.

I very much doubt whether the history of slavery (along with that of the eradication of the native Indians) is taught in schools in USA. And can't see this changing.