Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    I stopped reading when the name Rothschild creeped up...
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    I stopped reading when they started shitting in someone's mouth

Just as an aside, how do any of you here feel about the fact the port of Liverpool was massively involved in the slave trade?

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Just as an aside, how do any of you here feel about the fact the port of Liverpool was massively involved in the slave trade?
    isn't this a bit like asking how do you feel about being german after world war 2 etc, and the nazi's

What about those poor scot's in the medevial times? ok that might be pushing it but you get my point

What about what happened in Ireland?

ETC ETC

Not aimed at you specifically I saw a article on the guardian about how britian should own up to it's past about slavery etc

Noone should feel anything about something they wasn't involved in, just to make sure it never happens again
    Last edited by Kev0909; 4th June 2020 at 10:51 PM.

At least there's plaques on the pyramids.....
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Well as one of the few Yanks that post here I will hesitatingly chime in. Iím 50 years old white male, lived about 30 years in central California, last 20 in Ohio. Iíve been a teacher of US History and European History for 24 years. I live in a racist society. From the time I was a boy I remember casual and not so casual racism around me. My family was generally tolerant of everyone but now and things a slur would slip. Where I grew up was probably the most multicultural area outside NYC in the country. I was in a working class At best part of town and most of my childhood friends werenít white. Racism wasnít just white vs brown/black. It was everyone vs everyone quite a bit. But in a white dominated agricultural region like Fresno poverty could also unite people. I never really cared about somebodyís race, the diversity was something I always liked actually.

Police though. Never have cared for most of the ones Iíve known. Bully types or just so jaded from the job that they donít care what they do to people. I remember a cop friend of a friend casually saying how he lived rolling up on black kids in the other side of tow and throwing them onto the hood of the police car. Total racist power trip. Iíve seen cops rough homeless people up several times completely unprovoked. I was hassled as a young man a couple of times myself. But I absolutely know my skin kept me from being fucked with any further anytime Iíve encountered police here. Policing here got worse after 9-11. They have been militarized by the government and literally get away with murder frequently. They have military grade weaponry and tanks. Itís crazy and has to be reformed.

After I got married I ended up moving to Ohio in the middle of the country. The difference was easy to see. Here like many places in the country the dynamic is white vs black. All the time. History goes back to 1619 and its legacy will never be ended. American racism is systemic and undeniable. I hear working class whites, middle class whites, upper class whites say racist terms routinely. The golf course is where guys love to say shit like that thinking everyone listening is in the same page. Itís disgusting. Itís easy to see how Trump won Ohio by 8% in 2016. Whites scapegoat all their troubles onto minorities and immigrants. I teach the university level history courses in a big suburban high school. Most of my students are headed to major universities. In short I have the great kids 15-18 years old. They are tuned into the racism around them better than kids used to ten or twenty years ago at least.

So none of the weekís events have surprised me at all. The good side is so many of my former students are involved with protests and are more tolerant than older generations. There is some hope but in a multicultural superpower with massive wealth concentration I donít see much change ahead.
    Last edited by 3underpar; 5th June 2020 at 12:33 AM.

Good post 3under, I don't think people here realise the true scale of racism in the US.
    Whilst I don't condone the rioting and looting, I can understand the feeling of pure anger mixed with a overwhelming sense of helplessness that drives these people to the streets.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    isn't this a bit like asking how do you feel about being german after world war 2 etc, and the nazi's

What about those poor scot's in the medevial times? ok that might be pushing it but you get my point

What about what happened in Ireland?

ETC ETC

Not aimed at you specifically I saw a article on the guardian about how britian should own up to it's past about slavery etc

Noone should feel anything about something they wasn't involved in, just to make sure it never happens again
    Indeed, or the Highland Clearances, to name one more.

They are fixated on skin colour. The history of slavery is an immense horror show and the American story not one of the most egregious examples in the scheme of things. They may as well get fixated on the fact that it was the white man who eventually brought an end to slavery.

But your fundamental point is rejected by the mad cult that is using this crisis to push its ideology on the culture - it doesn't make sense in any circumstance, especially a generational and historical circumstance, to feel guilty about a sin that someone else committed. To insist otherwise is a kind of self-flagellation, moral puritanism and superstition. But that's the world view that these people have.

In a civilised society, this police officer would be charged with murder and his colleagues charged with culpability for their actions.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

It's futile to feel guilty for someone else's sins from another age but there's nothing wrong with being aware if you have benefited from them. Life isn't fair. But if you know your history you can try to stop it happening again.

People do discriminate according to skin colour and all sorts of other made up divisions but the crux of it all is who has the power and that means who has the money.