Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Don't be surprised, he's a hick from the hills of Tipperary.
    I'm a hick from the hills of Monaghan but I've the sense to stay the hell out of these discussions/arguments.
    We've had plenty of experience down the years of when to keep our mouth shut when it comes to similar discussions /arguments😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    We've had plenty of experience down the years of when to keep our mouth shut when it comes to similar discussions /arguments😂😂
    Dķn do bhťal a Iain.
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    I can't understand how the good ol'USA is so racist? I grew up in the late 70's (I was born in 1975) and even though there was slight racism where I lived (I grew up with a lot of different races as I lived in a council estate!), I never saw any hatred to anyone who wasn't white while I was growing up in our estate. I'm not sure what it's like now but my parents say it's still the same and I reckon the are right!
    I think Ruby Bridges was the first black woman to go to an all-white elementary and she is only 65 - goes to show how recent some of the difficulties have been.

The unfortunate thing to fall apart to me with all these mass protests is the social-distancing, though I am not black and thus will never FULLY grasp the frustration/fear/anger/passion that surrounds issues like these, so it feels a smidge "high horse" for me to say it in some ways - but then again you look at how Covid seems to disproportionately affect Black and Minority Ethnic folk and there seems something very wrong with protests taking place in such a way that MORE death will ensue.

The whole thing is a mess and I genuinely don't know how, or what, to think of it all, beyond racism being utterly wrong.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    What it's like to be a (black) African in the US by Kenyan journalist Larry Madawo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-52895490
    That's a pretty accurate description. I'm Kenyan as well, and I never thought much about race until I came to the US (I have been in Liverpool for a week). My interactions have mostly been with people in and around academia so, for me, the majority of interactions have been overwhelmingly positive.
    But, I'm aware that the society is really messed up. Also, sometimes, I feel like I'm riding on the suffering and labor of African Americans who've been mistreated for so long, and still are to this day.
    One thing I've realized is that some people here use the police as a personal/secret tool to settle scores or something. One day, I was getting coffee with my ex-gf (who was white). So, we pull in to a Jittery Joe's but she says that she's had a change of mind because it's almost 1 p.m and let's get coffee/food somewhere else... We're parked in a pretty open parking lot for like 5 minutes while we decide what to do and talk about nothing - meanwhile other people get out of the coffee shop and get their cars. Soon afterwards, a police car pulls in and they immediately come to talk to us. Thankfully, the situation didn't escalate.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Well as one of the few Yanks that post here I will hesitatingly chime in. Iím 50 years old white male, lived about 30 years in central California, last 20 in Ohio. Iíve been a teacher of US History and European History for 24 years. I live in a racist society. From the time I was a boy I remember casual and not so casual racism around me. My family was generally tolerant of everyone but now and things a slur would slip. Where I grew up was probably the most multicultural area outside NYC in the country. I was in a working class At best part of town and most of my childhood friends werenít white. Racism wasnít just white vs brown/black. It was everyone vs everyone quite a bit. But in a white dominated agricultural region like Fresno poverty could also unite people. I never really cared about somebodyís race, the diversity was something I always liked actually.

Police though. Never have cared for most of the ones Iíve known. Bully types or just so jaded from the job that they donít care what they do to people. I remember a cop friend of a friend casually saying how he lived rolling up on black kids in the other side of tow and throwing them onto the hood of the police car. Total racist power trip. Iíve seen cops rough homeless people up several times completely unprovoked. I was hassled as a young man a couple of times myself. But I absolutely know my skin kept me from being fucked with any further anytime Iíve encountered police here. Policing here got worse after 9-11. They have been militarized by the government and literally get away with murder frequently. They have military grade weaponry and tanks. Itís crazy and has to be reformed.

After I got married I ended up moving to Ohio in the middle of the country. The difference was easy to see. Here like many places in the country the dynamic is white vs black. All the time. History goes back to 1619 and its legacy will never be ended. American racism is systemic and undeniable. I hear working class whites, middle class whites, upper class whites say racist terms routinely. The golf course is where guys love to say shit like that thinking everyone listening is in the same page. Itís disgusting. Itís easy to see how Trump won Ohio by 8% in 2016. Whites scapegoat all their troubles onto minorities and immigrants. I teach the university level history courses in a big suburban high school. Most of my students are headed to major universities. In short I have the great kids 15-18 years old. They are tuned into the racism around them better than kids used to ten or twenty years ago at least.

So none of the weekís events have surprised me at all. The good side is so many of my former students are involved with protests and are more tolerant than older generations. There is some hope but in a multicultural superpower with massive wealth concentration I donít see much change ahead.
    Great post 3under, and thanks for sharing. I have been encouraged by the number of people from other races (especially white) who've actively supported the protests. It's not surprising that most of them are young.

Don't be surprised, he's a hick from the hills of Tipperary.
    I'm a hick from the hills of Monaghan but I've the sense to stay the hell out of these discussions/arguments.
    Well, we're here to share ideas and learn from each other. I looked up both places by the way

Quote Originally Posted by murii View Post
    Well, we're here to share ideas and learn from each other. I looked up both places by the way
    Ive not grown up in tipperary, from there, living there now or have ever lived there.
    I've no clue why Justin is saying that

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Ive not grown up in tipperary, from there, living there now or have ever lived there.
    I've no clue why Justin is saying that
    You invited me to a mountain biking 'expedition' with your mates in Tipperary many moons ago.
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

You invited me to a mountain biking 'expedition' with your mates in Tipperary many moons ago.
    Aye, theres a good mountain bike park in tipp

Neither of these will probably ever happen but the only real solution is a full apology for the slave trade from all parties concerned with proper compensation or a complete role reversal. The rich world still lives off and enjoys the benefits of what happened regardless of whether individuals were there at the time.