Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Games 7th July to a few days after

Still though a united Liverpool fight to the death title race would be fucking epic. Its never happened as long as I've been watching football. 09 wasn't really IMO. Id love a run of seasons like that.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Still though a united Liverpool fight to the death title race would be fucking epic. Its never happened as long as I've been watching football. 09 wasn't really IMO. Id love a run of seasons like that.
    I mention this scenario (even just one title race - and with the caveat being that we win, not them!) to a friend a lot when I see him - there was dominance from these two clubs for the guts of 40 years and there has never r-e-a-l-l-y been a title race between the two, which is insane - as is the lack of meetings in Europe, though we came very close to a couple of Monster clashes in the Benitez years.

My Heart couldn't take it being a regular occurrence (title races with United) but if we were on 20 titles each and had a title race with them, beating them in the latter stages of the season and winning the League by a point / goal-difference to reach 21 before they do it would be absolutely delicious, as it's an actual rivalry, rather than the faux-rivalry with City or Chelsea, which always felt more like playing a cheater in an online game than the Tekken/FIFA fight with your mate/brother who knows your style inside-out.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    09 was like that.. That fucking Arse of a jinx Arsenal - 4:4 Andre Arshavin.... Those crucial 2 points were what stood between it going to the wire... That and some very dubious Howard Webb penalty awards for United.

Fantastic team we had at the time too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/8000555.stm
    Last edited by Steveo; 10th July 2020 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    09 was like that.. That fucking Arse of a jinx Arsenal - 4:4 Andre Arshavin.... Those crucial 2 points were what stood between it going to the wire... That and some very dubious Howard Webb penalty awards for United.

Fantastic team we had at the time too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/8000555.stm
    I was at that game, what a roller coaster of a match. It was typical that Arshavin had the game of his life against us when we were going for the Prem.

Fair play to Arshavin - he was unplayable on his day BUT — Bloody jinx for us that darned club...!

10 points ahead at one point. Albeit with them having 3 games in hand but you just knew they were going to catch us after Rafas rant and the 0-0 at Stoke. Ronaldo was the difference that season.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    10 points ahead at one point. Albeit with them having 3 games in hand but you just knew they were going to catch us after Rafas rant and the 0-0 at Stoke. Ronaldo was the difference that season.
    Rated as or close to the best in Europe AND capable of whipping our closest rivals 1:4 at the toilet... That was some team. 11 draws did it really.. Rafa too cautious with so much talent. I was at Anfield for the Everton FA cup game that year - Robbie Keane ( strange one that ) wasn’t getting a look in. Everton were a very decent outfit but we could have railroaded them.. Ended in a draw and we got knocked out in the replay.

A tweak in the system and we would have destroyed far more teams - a more bold Klopp like progressive approach that season and we were Champions at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Rated as or close to the best in Europe AND capable of whipping our closest rivals 1:4 at the toilet... That was some team. 11 draws did it really.. Rafa too cautious with so much talent. I was at Anfield for the Everton FA cup game that year - Robbie Keane ( strange one that ) wasn’t getting a look in. Everton were a very decent outfit but we could have railroaded them.. Ended in a draw and we got knocked out in the replay.

A tweak in the system and we would have destroyed far more teams - a more bold Klopp like progressive approach that season and we were Champions at the very least.
    Fully agree.
    A points total that would have won the league in any season preceding it. That's unlucky.
    Done it twice again since too.

That's the best Liverpool I'd seen until this current side. Absolutely loved that group of players. Torres was injured quite a bit iirc - that was a deciding factor.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

I remember the game after Rafas press conference. It was west-brom away.Gerrard scored a perfectly good header and for some reason the goal was disallowed. Could be the facts the refs were up Fergies arse. which they were.
    Leader of all..master of none..