Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Games 7th July to a few days after

1996/97 shoud have been ours but for a disastrous last 7 games.
    Losing at home to Coventry and Man U (eventual winners on 75 pts), losing away to Wimbledon and drawing away to Everton and Sheff Wed we ended up 3rd behind Arsenal on goal difference (68 pts).
    I seem to recall some inexplicable howlers from David James that season - like palming the ball into his own net from a corner plus others. I thought at the time he had cost us the title.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I remember the game after Rafas press conference. It was west-brom away.Gerrard scored a perfectly good header and for some reason the goal was disallowed. Could be the facts the refs were up Fergies arse. which they were.
    Yep the so called “rant” that was actually a factual account.

Fergie has the sports Media and FA in awe though. Reporters and referees were all scared sh*tless of him too. I agreed with what Rafa said but wish he hadn’t. Would have likely led to us being Champions. It put the spotlight on us and the players in all the wrong ways.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I remember the game after Rafas press conference. It was west-brom away.Gerrard scored a perfectly good header and for some reason the goal was disallowed. Could be the facts the refs were up Fergies arse. which they were.
    Game after his rant was a 0-0 draw with Stoke wasnt it?

His rant was embarrassing despite it being blob on. He just didn't need to do it at all, after that Ferguson had him. Just like Keegan all over again.
    It was a silly response to Ferguson questioning wether we had the mettle for the run in. Turns out he was right, we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Losing at home to Coventry and Man U (eventual winners on 75 pts), losing away to Wimbledon and drawing away to Everton and Sheff Wed we ended up 3rd behind Arsenal on goal difference (68 pts).
    I seem to recall some inexplicable howlers from David James that season - like palming the ball into his own net from a corner plus others. I thought at the time he had cost us the title.
    I went to the fac 3rd game v Coventry. We were horrendous . James too !
    Hukerby Dublin ripped us apart 1-3 at Anfield.

75pts ffs low !

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Still though a united Liverpool fight to the death title race would be fucking epic. Its never happened as long as I've been watching football. 09 wasn't really IMO. Id love a run of seasons like that.
    That team was exceptional
    Alonso Gerrard Mascherano in our midfield today would be amazing .
    Plus Carragher
    Torres up front

Alisson

TAA Carra Vvd Robbo

Gerrard Mascherano Alonso

Salah Torres Mane

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Game after his rant was a 0-0 draw with Stoke wasnt it?
    0-0 start of season 2008
    We had 39 chances
    Goal disallowed 1st minute from a Gerrard free kick
    Why?
    Sorensen had the game of his life !

Funny enough I have contact with a stoke player who played this game.

We talked about this game on the phone a couple of weeks ago.
    He said that they always frustrated liverpool during that period , and made it physically tough.

Would have been Gerrard 100th goal

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    4th in a two horse race season, finished 4th on the last day. Played Utd in a "decider" in april I think? and had our arses handed to us. Gary fucking Pallister scored two. That's how bad that game was, we were right in it until then.
    I said last week on another thread that Mark Wright was a brilliant centre back, if he had a good partner beside him that team may have gone places but the discipline of the whole squad was the biggest issue. We spent a lot of money on players too, we weren't tight.
    Talking of James, wasnt it that season he dropped a few bollox against PSG in the cup winners cup semi? Should have been playing Ronaldos Barca in the final and he fucked it right up. I'm sure he said something about being up all night playing playstation games. It was around the time he asked Evsns if he could travel abroad for an Armani modelling shoot. Evan's said No and he said I'm going anyway.
    Can you imagine that now? Unbelievably unprofessional but it was that squad all over.
    People love Fowler for his goals,the fact hes local etc but he was as bad as any in that squad for lack of respect and unprofessional behaviour.
    Last edited by teesred; 11th July 2020 at 09:53 AM.

Bye bye norwich, it's been fun.

They started well then gradually got worse and worse, until they couldn't get any worse.

At least pukki had a party for a quater of the season.

Down down, down you go.

Norwich
    Villa
    Bournemouth or watford.. both clubs have been in the prem a while! at least one of them survived coming up

I think leeds & WBA will cope better next year, especially leeds, i predict brighton will go down.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 11th July 2020 at 01:30 PM.