Ah 433

Clemence

Taa Hansen VVD ROBBO

GERRARD SOUNESS BARNES

DALGLISH RUSH SUAREZ

Hughes McDermott out
    Full backs in

The three most-selected players
    As a player Sir Kenny Dalglish inspired the Reds to six league titles and three European Cups, scoring 172 goals in 515 games. But that remarkable record is only enough to make the Scot the third most-selected player, included in 73% of teams.

In second place came defender Virgil van Dijk, one of the stars of this season's success under Jurgen Klopp and last year's Champions League win. He was included in 75% of teams.

But the most-selected player overall? Despite being unable to lift the Premier League trophy, an Anfield career taking in 710 appearances and 186 goals - along with countless iconic moments - ensured Steven Gerrard claimed that honour. He was included in 92% of teams

In 5 years time

Top 5 will always be

Gerrard
    Dalglish
    Souness
    Hansen
    Barnes

We shall wait and see if the current players can break into that top 5.

Which legends missed out?
    Not a bad side that. But what about the substitutes?

Mohamed Salah was picked in 31% of starting XIs but he was just pipped by Luis Suarez (32%) as the third most popular striker, so the Egyptian - the catalyst for so much of Liverpool's recent success - has to make do with a place on the bench. Suarez and Dalglish are joined up front by Ian Rush, who scored 346 goals in 660 games and made 57% of your teams.

Xabi Alonso (37%) was actually the 10th most-selected player overall but there is no place for him in the most popular 4-3-3 formation, with Gerrard, Graeme Souness (63%) and John Barnes (53%) all picked more in midfield.

Jamie Carragher spent his entire career at Anfield but he does not make the cut despite being included by 25% of you. Van Dijk and Alan Hansen (70%) are the preferred centre-back pairing.

In goal, Ray Clemence (44%) edged out Alisson (33%).

Other notable absentees from this XI include Champions League and Premier League-winning captain Jordan Henderson (11%), along with a host of brilliant attackers, including Kevin Keegan (19%), Robbie Fowler (17%), Steve McManaman and Sadio Mane (both 14%) and Fernando Torres, Peter Beardsley and Michael Owen (all 11%)

Hughes , McDermott 😪😪

Neal most decorated liverpool player
    Callaghan most appearances
    Smith

Not even mentioned

Plastics !!

1. Clemence
    2. Neal
    5. Lawrenson
    6. Hansen
    3. Hughes
    11Callaghan
    8. Gerrard
    4. Souness
    10Barnes
    7..Dalglish
    9..Rush
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

Alison
    Trent
    Hansen
    VVD
    Robbo
    Souness
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Dalglish
    Rush
    Suarez

Just imagine a midfield three of Gerrard Souness and Alonso. Fucking hell.
    Bench..Tommy Smith, God, John Barnes, Firmino, Mane, Clemence

This thread is going to be based on relatively recent players but I am giving a mention to:

Gerry Byrne LB - my childhood hero at LB - my best position
    Played almost an entire 1965 FA Cup Final with a broken collar bone (and no subs allowed in them days) and still put in the cross for the winning goal? Is that correct?
    A great overlapping ful back from the Shankly era

Chris Lawler RB - a super overlapping fuul back from the Shankly and early Paisley era
    50+ goals for a full back and was not a penalty taker - TAA has a lot to catch up on there.

Roger Hunt CF from the Shankly era - say no more - a legend! A goal sniffer and more besides. His turning away in celebration from that disputed goal in World Cup Final 1966 was enough evidence for me that that was a valid goal. No VAR needed.
    If there was a doubt he would have followed it up.
    Still not Sir Roger.

Tommy Smith!!!! A colossus at WB RB CB.
    As Shankly said "You can let the ball past you or the man past you but not both".
    And he had a dainty side to him too. What was that headed goal in a cup final? was it 1977?

Motm in the Ď65 cup final, scored the second goal in the Ď77 European cup final. Some career.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Motm in the ‘65 cup final, scored the second goal in the ‘77 European cup final. Some career.
    Was that the dainty flicked header I remember?

Donít know about dainty but it went in ok

I'm not sure I've ever previously heard the word "dainty" used when someone has been discussing Tommy Smith.