Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505354555657585960

Thread: Liverpool v Chelsea (Match Thread + PL Trophy Presentation)

I have never had a go at Gerrard as a footballer. who would?? I just want the club to make the right call on our next manager.. hopefully Klopp stays on longer than 2024. If it ends up being Gerrard I hope its the right decision. I'm unsure. but willing to be proved wrong.
    Leader of all..master of none..

Tbf I've dreamt for years of going gor pints with stevie. I love him soooo much. Hes not cut out to be our next manager though. I wouldnt mind if he was cos he deserves anything that comes his way and we've had success. But if we want to go on knocking united and everyone else back the smart money says he has a lot to prove to be considered

I would clone Dalglish Rush Ouness Barnes Gerrard Hansen VVD Suarez ... and Zizou

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I have never had a go at Gerrard as a footballer. who would?? I just want the club to make the right call on our next manager.. hopefully Klopp stays on longer than 2024. If it ends up being Gerrard I hope its the right decision. I'm unsure. but willing to be proved wrong.
    Gerrard was immense for us for most of his career. I wasn't shy about pointing out aspects of his game I wasn't sure about (some of which was down to the Manager too) at certain times and did wish he would have accepted a play-for-the-last-half-hour-at-full-pelt role as I feel his career with us could have been longer and his best skills put to better use - a la Totti at Roma, but he was an amazing player - and indeed in the '04-'09 years he was a true Monster, possibly the most complete player you could imagine in terms of a capacity for playing in any position. Folks talk about cloning Van Dijk as the perfect centre-back but if you cloned Stevie multiple times you could slap each clone in most positions and your team would do well, truly gifted.

God-tier player doth not necessarily God-tier manager make though - we took a midfield Colossus and made him our Manager before and it contributed to a 30-year period of frustration. Chelsea have done the same and there will be question marks. Gattuso in Serie A isn't going to win that Division soon.

I think Stevie will become a "good" Manager, capable of managing mid-table sides in the Premier League with minimal fear of relegation - the likes of what Crystal Palace have done this year, or Newcastle. He had Houllier and Benitez as Managers so some good things will be in the Brain, some decent stuff will have come with Rodgers too despite his flaws and he will have picked up some things from being in-and-around the Club when Klopp was here, probably chats with Lijnders too. So it makes sense that he won't be terrible. But a "great" Manager, which is what we will need after Klopp departs to help us stay in the Top Four each season, ideally competing for League titles and European Cups? I don't see it - and it's no bash on him as a player, he'll always be remembered by us for the Olympiakos type moments, not the slip our rival fans want us to obsess over. I think it would be Healthy for him (and for us) to close a Door and enjoy the memories, smiling when we catch a sight of him in the crowd clapping beside friends when we have scored a goal, but no thank you to the dug-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Gerrard was immense for us for most of his career. I wasn't shy about pointing out aspects of his game I wasn't sure about (some of which was down to the Manager too) at certain times and did wish he would have accepted a play-for-the-last-half-hour-at-full-pelt role as I feel his career with us could have been longer and his best skills put to better use - a la Totti at Roma, but he was an amazing player - and indeed in the '04-'09 years he was a true Monster, possibly the most complete player you could imagine in terms of a capacity for playing in any position. Folks talk about cloning Van Dijk as the perfect centre-back but if you cloned Stevie multiple times you could slap each clone in most positions and your team would do well, truly gifted.

God-tier player doth not necessarily God-tier manager make though - we took a midfield Colossus and made him our Manager before and it contributed to a 30-year period of frustration. Chelsea have done the same and there will be question marks. Gattuso in Serie A isn't going to win that Division soon.

I think Stevie will become a "good" Manager, capable of managing mid-table sides in the Premier League with minimal fear of relegation - the likes of what Crystal Palace have done this year, or Newcastle. He had Houllier and Benitez as Managers so some good things will be in the Brain, some decent stuff will have come with Rodgers too despite his flaws and he will have picked up some things from being in-and-around the Club when Klopp was here, probably chats with Lijnders too. So it makes sense that he won't be terrible. But a "great" Manager, which is what we will need after Klopp departs to help us stay in the Top Four each season, ideally competing for League titles and European Cups? I don't see it - and it's no bash on him as a player, he'll always be remembered by us for the Olympiakos type moments, not the slip our rival fans want us to obsess over. I think it would be Healthy for him (and for us) to close a Door and enjoy the memories, smiling when we catch a sight of him in the crowd clapping beside friends when we have scored a goal, but no thank you to the dug-out.
    I suspect you're correct. One of Klopp's main assets is that he's so damn likeable, even by those teams that hate us. A lot of this is down to his charisma, something that Stevie doesn't have in the same way.

If it is on the cards, for him to succeed Klopp, I'd like to see him work under Klopp for the final couple of years of him being here, but even then Gerrard won't be able to do things in the same way.

It's a tough one, the head and the heart are going in two different directions.

Stevies just starting out in management, bit odd to write him off so early in his managerial career.