Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commentators and pundits

Commentators and pundits

Was just listening to the Peter Drury commentary for Hendo lifting the trophy and thinking that he always commentates well and I can't recall him bad-mouthing us. He is one of my favourites.

Just wondered if there are any commentators or pundits, past or present that you do or don't particularly like.

Clive Tyldesley gets a lot of stick for his over-bearing hyping up of the Mancs but I honestly quite like his commentary as well, most likely because so many excerpts are engrained into the Brain from ITV commentary of Champion's League matches under Benitez.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Not really commentators but I always liked Elton Welsby and Jim Rosenthal for some reason, maybe it's nostalgia?

I use to like hearing Alan Green on radio 5 live.. he said what he thought. which isn't always the best way to go on the BBC
    Leader of all..master of none..

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I use to like hearing Alan Green on radio 5 live.. he said what he thought. which isn't always the best way to go on the BBC
    Sorry mate, but I can't stand Alan Green. he seems to spend more than half the time moaning about how the game has changed since he was a young man , and the other half talking about his problems parking. I remember in our 13 14 season when Jordan Henderson was one of our most important players, Green just hammered him week in week out, because it was seen as the fashionable thing to do, without really looking at the game and understanding the role.
    Of the current crop..I like Karen Carney on five live, she is really insightful and tells you things that you wouldn't have thought of yourself.Tim Vickery is also brilliant for someone who (as far as i know) never played the game to any serious level. he is articulate, very knowledgable, funny and can talk about all kinds of stuff with intelligence. (Unfortunately he is a spurs fan though)

So that goes my idea of him being closest RED.. I liked him mostly because he despised Ferguson.

I used to like Alan Green too but then he did get moany and he once said "2-0 and that's game over!" early in the second half and it ended 2-2. I can't stand that sort of behaviour.

Barry Davies used to piss me off with his fawning over Man Utd players but that could have been more because they were winning loads.

i think he supports Macclesfield town.
    He had a run in with Ferguson i think back in the day when Ferguson refused to do his mandatory BBC interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I used to like Alan Green too but then he did get moany and he once said "2-0 and that's game over!" early in the second half and it ended 2-2. I can't stand that sort of behaviour.

Barry Davies used to piss me off with his fawning over Man Utd players but that could have been more because they were winning loads.
    Do they still dig that old toad up for Wimbledon? (though its been cancelled this year). he use to irk me with his voice

Though shes a Toffee. I do like Sue Smith on SSN. shes got a lovely speaking voice and chats a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I always associate his voice with World Cup '94 commentary, a tournament I remember fondly overall.

Ronnie Whelan my favourite, doesnt pull his punches and an enjoyable commentator for games.