Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019/2020 Premier league predictions final week results and final standings

2019/2020 Premier league predictions final week results and final standings

The final day of fixtures arrived and yet none of the questions surrounding the final placings had been answered. Could Reddownunder be caught at the death by me, RedNoodle? Who from fourth to sixth would secure their place in Europe? And would any of those in the relegation places bother to turn up on the final week and make Nineteenx sweat a bit?

Well the answer to that final question was no they wouldn't. None of the bottom three showed up so HLOGI (Norwich), Murii (Watford) and Skyebo (Bournemouth) all find themselves relegated. Who knows what or where they are being relegated to, but they are all relegated none the less. Nineteenx is the Aston Villa of this years predictions league and escapes relegation by virtue of three others being just that little bit worse than him/them giving up the ghost.

Higher up the table Ianlfc consolidated his place in mid table, which isn't too shabby considering that at one point things were looking bleak for him, though just like Southampton (another mid table side) he stuck at it, improved over time, and as a result he'll continue dinning at the top table next season should he choose to do so.

A couple of places further up the table CCTV swapped places with Joetan (who seems to have increasingly gone awol), though the former will be hoping to do better next season. Maybe a bit more 'investment' when it comes to the time put into researching games will propel him closer to or even into the European places, though a tilt at the title may be a bit beyond him at this point in time.

Then we come to the pointy end of the table. With only three points separating fourth to sixth, any of those occupying those positions could have ended up playing in the CL, the EL, or sitting on their backsides on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday next season wishing that they'd paid a bit more attention to what had been happening with the clubs involved in some of their predictions. With both Fayyazms and Charliev on the same points in fifth and sixth, neither could afford to have a poor week, and even though nobody actually had a 'bad' week, some did slightly better than others and in this case a couple of extra points here and there made all the difference. Charliev could only manage seven points, a total which under normal circumstances wouldn't have been anywhere near a 'disaster', however it wasn't enough to move him up from the sixth place where he started the day meaning that he misses out on a European adventure next season.

Charliev falling just short of the European places meant that the final week tussle for the last CL spot would almost certainly be between Fayyazms and Dicko1969. Fayyazms certainly did his bit by posting a week winning total (eleven points), but unfortunately for him it wasn't quite enough to get him into the final CL place as Dicko1969 managed to post a decent total himself (nine points) which meant he held off Fayyazms by a single solitary point securing him his place at Europe's top table next season, whilst Fayyazms will have to be content with possibly playing some teams most people have never heard of in some of the most far flung corners of Europe.

Balinkay was in third going into the final day, and whilst he looked to be far enough ahead of the chasing pack to be almost guaranteed CL football, he also seemed to be (baring an exceptional set of circumstances) too far behind the top two to claim the title, and that's exactly how it played out. His nine point total maintained the gap between himself and Dicko1969 and as a result he'll have to wave goodbye to his beloved EL spot and will have to instead be content with third and a place in the CL. I know that he'd secretly have preferred to have been in the EL playing in the arse end of nowhere against teams whose names would net you a triple figure Scrabble score, but as they say, "beggars can't be choosers".

So finally we come to the biggy, namely who would be this years league predictions champion. Could I defend my title with a perfectly timed late surge? Or would Reddownunder do enough to get himself over the line? well at one point it looked as if one of myself or Reddownunder would be posting a big total and ending any last minute drama, but as it turned out it went right down to the wire.

As I've mentioned before, many things in life come down to fine margins and this years predictions competition was no different. I needed to beat Reddownunder by two points which made trying to decide a few scores/results a lot harder than usual. This was further complicated by some teams playing a few fringe players, whilst I was also unsure how a few other teams would perform given that some would be trying to avoid relegation, whilst others would be trying to remain in, or get into one of the European places. As the games got nearer and nearer to their conclusion things became more and more tense, especially as going into the last five minutes or so of the season I was on for a very big total (helped by an 84th minute Grealish goal for Villa, closely followed by an 85th minute equaliser from Yarmalenko), whilst Reddownunder was looking like he'd struggle to post any perfect scores, something that would mean I'd get to keep my crown. The question was now whether things would remain in my favour.

Well as it turns out I am not a lucky person (a monumental understatement), and yet again Mr Murphy decided to lay down his law and give me a few more swift kicks to my love spuds. With just those five minutes of normal time left to play in each game I had FOUR perfect scores (Man City 4-0, Newcastle 1-2, Southampton 2-1 and West Ham 1-1), but in a horrific turn of fate (for me anyway) in the 84th minute Ings scored from the spot for the Saints, in the 89th minute Mane scored for us, and this was followed a minute later by KDB, the recently anointed best PL player of all time (Sarcastic? Moi?) putting Man City 5-0 up against Norwich. The fact that those three late goals denied me three perfect scores was bad enough, but this was compounded by these goals not only taking away my perfect scores but by two of them giving Reddownunder two perfect scores instead.

Despite this late drama I still wasn't 100% sure as to who would end up the champion though I feared the worst. I finally got round to compiling the scores, and first up out of the two title chasers was Reddownunder. I thought he had accrued a bigger score than he had, possibly a week winning one, but as it turns out despite those two perfect scores he 'only' managed nine points. This meant that if one or more of the games I hadn't been paying attention to had resulted in me getting a scoreline spot on then I was still in with a chance of making it two titles out of two. One by one I checked off the results knowing that I needed just one more perfect score to snatch the title away from the long standing leader, but unfortunately for me those late swift kicks to my knackers had really done for me as I also managed nine points which meant that despite my valiant late charge Reddownunder had managed to hold off my late challenge and had claimed the biggest prize in sp ..... I mean on LFC Online.

2019/2020 LFC Online Predictions League Champion

Reddownunder

Congratulations mate.

CL qualification

Reddownunder, RedNoodle, Balinkay, Dicko1969

EL qualification

Fayyazms

Relegated

HLOGI, Murii, Skyebo

Performance(s) of the season

Reddownunder (wk 2) & Joetan (wk 30) = 15 points (4 perfect scores and 3 correct results)

Final week results

Fayyazms = 11 points (2 perfect scores and 5 correct results)

Balinkay = 9 points (2 perfect scores and 3 correct results)

Reddownunder = 9 points (2 perfect scores and 3 correct results)

Dicko1969 = 9 points (1 perfect score and 6 correct results)

RedNoodle = 9 points (1 perfect score and 6 correct results)

CCTV = 7 points (1 perfect score and 4 correct results)

Charliev = 7 points (1 perfect score and 4 correct results)

Ianlfc = 6 points (6 correct results)

The final special mentions of the season go to me for being the only person to get the West Ham score spot on, as well as being the most unlucky so and so in terms of having defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in such agonising fashion, Dicko1969 for being the only person to get the Leicester City scoreline spot on, Fayyazms doing likewise with the Crystal palace game, and CCTV who predicted that Bournemouth would put in one final, albeit forlorn big effort and beat the BS 3-1.

Final standings

Reddownunder = 302

RedNoodle = 300 (another ironic kick in the nads given I used to be a tenpin bowler)

Balinkay = 287

Dicko1969 = 278

Fayyazms = 277

Charliev = 273

Redebreck = 245

CCTV = 231

Joetan = 228

Ianlfc = 226

Kev0909 = 204

3underpar = 195

Southernboy = 193

Justme = 190

Nineteenx = 187

Skyebo = 183

Murii = 182

HLOGI = 178

Again congratulations to the 19/20 predictions league champion Reddownunder. I hope those who participated in the competition enjoyed it, especially those who competed right till the end. If I'm still around and enough people want me to continue running this competition, I will do so. Again I apologise for the times when I didn't/couldn't post the fixtures and results as promptly as I would like, but unfortunately my body from top to toe stops me doing a lot of things that I'd like to do, and things have been/really are not good with me.

Reddownunder, If this competition does run next season I'll be looking to reclaim my crown.

LFC Online Predictions League Roll of Honour

2019: RedNoodle

2020: Reddownunder

Cheers Noods for taking the time to keep this competition running and for the entertaining weekly and season review.

It felt like I had quite a lead there at one point. You pushed me hard there in the last few rounds though and I nearly bottled it. Not having the distraction of European football certainly helped me though I won't have that luxury next season.

Outstanding work on running the show, RedNoodle! You gave Reddownunder a real go as well... Thanks mate!

Speaking of ... Congrats Reddownunder! a worthy champ indeed!

Special mentions to Balinkay and Dicko1969 .... i tried to catch up .... but just not good enough.

on to next season!

Awesome work Noods! Thank you!

You're right, I'd have preferred to face Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk or Anzhi Makhachkala, but Barca and Real will have to do. CL, here I come!

@fay good fight mate, had a decent year this time around. Actually won my kicktipp league, but the scoring system there is slightly different as it favours guessing the outcome a bit more.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

There was a reason why i failed to predict the final few weeks of the season, i wasn't well, not that i couldn't be arsed.
    I'm not a sheep, all views are my own.

Damn sky, I hope you're alright mate!

I'd ask the participants to reconsider moving the actual betting to kicktipp. I'm a huge fan of the site, as you can tweak rules to your liking, have all the fixtures and can add bonus objectives. Also it's a bit easier to put the predictions in, but it's not a huge difference.

If Noods is happy doing this again, I'm fine with it.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Damn sky, I hope you're alright mate!

I'd ask the participants to reconsider moving the actual betting to kicktipp. I'm a huge fan of the site, as you can tweak rules to your liking, have all the fixtures and can add bonus objectives. Also it's a bit easier to put the predictions in, but it's not a huge difference.

If Noods is happy doing this again, I'm fine with it.
    I'm better now Bali, thanks for asking.
    I'm not a sheep, all views are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    There was a reason why i failed to predict the final few weeks of the season, i wasn't well, not that i couldn't be arsed.
    I hope it wasn't anything too serious. I'm glad to hear that you're better.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I'm better now Bali, thanks for asking.
    Good to hear mate! I'm glad the situation has improved.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Well done Noods.
    You've done brilliantly to keep the competition going through everything.
    I lost interest slightly going into the final set of games, being so chuffed at winning our first title for thirty years.
    I'm really looking forward to the coming season.
    As an aside, I hope everyone on here is keeping as well as possible. Noods especially as we need someone to keep running this!
    Take care, all.