Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barca Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Seriously, guys, take a chill pill. This isn't a top player you're talking about.

This is one of the best ever. In history you could count the number of players with his consistency and longevity on one hand. We're basically talking a God amonst mortals. Think Maradona, but less fond of the white stuff. Think Pele, but.... more Argentinian.

He'd make a mockery of the PL defences if he were to come. This isn't some sulky prima donna like Özi. We're talking one of the finest athletes in any sport in the last century.
    Absolutely. I love all the "hes not actually that good" and "hes past it anyway" type of talk that's been flying around the last few weeks.
    Hes in a elite group of players where it's a very sparse club. Literally among 4 or 5 who are head and shoulders above anyone else and theres no argument about it.

Not in Maradona’s class Bali. It really isn’t even close but he is one of the all time greats. No doubt.. just sad he had Ronaldo at or close to the same level.

Diego high on Coke and in a shite Argentina and bog ordinary Napoli could do things Messi simply never has or will.
    Last edited by Steveo; 25th August 2020 at 09:46 PM.

He's 33, I wouldn't want us Liverpool to go near him not that we would

financial ruin, whoever does go for him making a big gamble, with near 1m a week wages and everything else on top of that, which is just crazy, not to mention he's picking up more injuries and he's not naturally as gifted fitness wise as ronaldo, and i can see him decline more and more very soon anyway.

I don't think it'll be easy for him in the current climate, but a couple of clubs can afford him I guess who can pour money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Absolutely. I love all the "hes not actually that good" and "hes past it anyway" type of talk that's been flying around the last few weeks.
    Hes in a elite group of players where it's a very sparse club. Literally among 4 or 5 who are head and shoulders above anyone else and theres no argument about it.
    Agreed.. He is comfortably the best in the world still - so anyone who isn’t worried about him at City is a fruitcake.. But we do have a few on here..

With all due respect Steveo, mate, bollocks to that. Maradona was undoubtedly a bigger personality, a better leader and far more charismatic than Messi. But as a footballer? Not having that.

But the myth that he won the WC in a shite Argentina in '86 is just that - a myth. Besides, he didn't win it on his own, did he? Didn't even score in the final... And remind me, how many European cups has he got?

With a ball at his feet, I'm not sure you could make an argument he had anything Messi doesn't.

I tried to have a reasoned debate about this topic once but none of you old farts had any interest in the format I was proposing, so I left it.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 25th August 2020 at 09:53 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Bali seriously son -
    you just don’t know what you are talking about.

I seriously doubt you can be much of a player if you cannot see the overwhelming difference. Comparing a guy who was playing all his career in the best club side ever seen. Continually falling flat the moment he steps out of that security blanket. The tackle from behind outlawed cameras showing ever angle and over and over again.

Seriously - Messi would never in a million years win Sccudetto twice with a Napoli - no chance no how. He could never win a World Cup single handedly and almost win another.

Accounting is one thing - football is another entirely
    Last edited by Steveo; 25th August 2020 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    He's 33, I wouldn't want us Liverpool to go near him not that we would

financial ruin, whoever does go for him making a big gamble, with near 1m a week wages and everything else on top of that, which is just crazy, not to mention he's picking up more injuries and he's not naturally as gifted fitness wise as ronaldo, and i can see him decline more and more very soon anyway.

I don't think it'll be easy for him in the current climate, but a couple of clubs can afford him I guess who can pour money into it.
    The money will be a huge issue, yes. I wouldn't want us to touch him with a fifty foot stick, unless we're absolutely sure it's financially viable. And I mean in case a meteorite strikes.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Bali seriously son you don’t know what you are talking about
    Like I said - I tried to talk to you about this, gramps, but you didn't like the way I wanted to have the conversation so we left it. No hard feelings, it happens.

I realise we tend to be more fond of things we saw when we were young and we see them through rose tinted glasses - that's ok, happens to the best of us.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

And I'm not arguing that Messi's better btw. Just that IF one of them is obviously superior, it's Leo. Again, not that I think he actually is.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Let's see if he actually moves, would be kinda good to see him in the prem but probably would go to a less workman/physical league