Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Barca Rebuild.

Hahahaha yeah now that would certainly have added a certain comedic twist..

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    What’s that - play EXCLUSIVELY for the best club side ever assembled - a side that was the best already BEFORE he entered...? That team Rikjaard built was epic. You put Ronaldo in front of Xavi and Iniesta mate and I believe Messi is in big trouble.

Messi has been a phenomenon. No argument but there are some levels he hasnt reached. Might still but doubt it
    And you put Messi with Pasarella and Burruchaga and Maradona's in big trouble. What's your point?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Like I said - you don't want to have a reasoned discussion. You want to look teary eyed at videos of your past hero. Go ahead. I wouldn't want to take away any of that enjoyment from you even if could.

Enjoy your videos and have a good night mate. I have work in the morning. Fun as ever to take a trip down someone else's memory lane. I am extremely envious that you got to see him live... I really am.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 25th August 2020 at 10:41 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    On a tangent - it's going to be funny when, in 20 years time, Messi detractors point at 2005-2010 and say "he just looks good because defenders weren't good yet"
    And in comparison to defenders in 20 years they probably won't have been. The game changes - some people are ahead of their time. The aforementioned Sindelar being one of them. The two Argentines, you could argue, were too.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Like I said - you don't want to have a reasoned discussion. You want to look teary eyed at videos of your past hero. Go ahead. I wouldn't want to take away any of that enjoyment from you even if could.
    Like you are with messi? just because he's around when growing up unlike Diego?

any Argentines around?? they'll tell you.

P.S ronaldo better lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Like you are with messi? just because he's around when growing up unlike Diego?

any Argentines around?? they'll tell you.
    What? I've stated this many times - I can't really make my mind up who's better and why. I take umbrage at the ease with which Steveo dismisses Messi in comparison to Don Diego, not his opinion that he is inferior. I might well share that, not sure really!

Also why would their nationality matter?

And finally - yes, you could make a case for Ronaldo. A damn good one at that. Which is an entirely different and very cool potential debate.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

It's almost as if it was 30 years ago and football was... *gasp* DIFFERENT!

Tough pitch, less lenient refs... different offside rules, less professional players overall, tactically inept defenders - yeah, plenty of things were different alright.

What do you mean "my" Barca? And are you seriously suggesting that Napoli side that won two titles was better than treble winners and four time CL winners Barca? Six trophies in one year or something insane like that Barca?

I mean I quite dislike the club so I take any chance to bash them... but seriously? I mean I have no idea tbf - I wasn't there, but really? Seems highly unlikely.
    Defenders in Serie A back then were most definitely not inept it was the best league in the world back then.

Messi is more likeable than Diego for sure and I was always in the camp of Messi was better but when I think about it and watched the Diego documentary the bloke was a genius he’d destroy teams today in this no contact era.

It is two different eras so it is always hard to compare and I’m not old enough to have seen Pele so cant comment on him.

Most overrated player ever is Gazza he was good but he wasn’t as good as people say.

Yeah that's fair enough LEGS. He probably would - him dribbling in those laughably short shorts would be a sight to behold (he'd insist on them if he had any sense ).
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

And in comparison to defenders in 20 years they probably won't have been. The game changes - some people are ahead of their time. The aforementioned Sindelar being one of them. The two Argentines, you could argue, were too.
    Yeah it will be interesting comparing a Cannavaro to a Van Dijk to a whoever.

What's the chances of barca coming for salah or mane then, if they have this clearout???

Maybe next season?