Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Most people would agree with that, but that's very different to saying that a lack of fans has no impact whatsoever, as it obviously does.
    Financially it will have a major impact, but it's absolutely impossible to prove or disprove that it plays any part in the results of any games. For example, you can't say Burnley took a point away because there were no fans there, because we won the other 3 games after the restart.
    Last edited by skyebo; 12th September 2020 at 03:28 PM.
    I'm not a sheep, all views are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Financially it will have a major impact, but it's absolutely impossible to prove or disprove that it plays any part in the results of any games. For example, you can't say Burnley took a point away because there were no fans there, because we won the other 3 games after the restart.
    If you have played competitive sport yourself (as I have), or you have listened to/read interviews with famous sportspeople (never mind looked at any research), you'll know that it's a fact that having crowds/support does categorically make a difference. Like I said, it's just the kind and amount of impact that varies.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Only on tv. In the darts they have the crowd noise in the arena as well.
    Think Snooker also had intermittent "good shot" clapping that the players could hear.

Interesting that there are different set-ups for different Sports.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Think Snooker also had intermittent "good shot" clapping that the players could hear.

Interesting that there are different set-ups for different Sports.
    I vaguely remember one incident where a player did something such as a good long pot, a failed escape from a snooker etc, and whoever was in charge of the 'noise buttons' pressed the wrong one. That's something that could end up 'tilting' a player.

You could look at it statistically, iirc in Germany it had an impact. Heres a piece that takes a basic look at it, though perhaps more time is needed under the new nightmarish normal for reliability. Its just something i grabbed from a search so not looked at it in any depth.
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/25/empty-stadiums-have-shrunk-football-teams-home-advantage

The vociferous support of home fans, the roar of war would imo boost home players. The ability to rouse a reaction, pile pressure on refs & opponents, the transfer of energy from the stands to push and lift the limits of their bodies in producing excellence.

The 12th man of Anfield, the loopy locals make a difference. They cant turn water into wine, but that can imbibe a sense of drunkeness or merriment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    You could look at it statistically, iirc in Germany it had an impact. Heres a piece that takes a basic look at it, though perhaps more time is needed under the new nightmarish normal for reliability. Its just something i grabbed from a search so not looked at it in any depth.
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/25/empty-stadiums-have-shrunk-football-teams-home-advantage

The vociferous support of home fans, the roar of war would imo boost home players. The ability to rouse a reaction, pile pressure on refs & opponents, the transfer of energy from the stands to push and lift the limits of their bodies in producing excellence.

The 12th man of Anfield, the loopy locals make a difference. They cant turn water into wine, but that can imbibe a sense of drunkeness or merriment
    That graph shows that on the whole, home teams have still won more than they have lost as they create more chances than the away teams. I don't think Parker will be using it as an excuse, his team lost to a better one, it's that simple. If we don't win the league this term, i won't be blaming it on the lack of fans, it will be because we weren't good enough. If others want to do so, it's entirely up to them.
    Last edited by skyebo; 12th September 2020 at 04:09 PM.

That graph shows that on the whole, home teams have still won more than they have lost as they create more chances than the away teams. I don't think Parker will be using it as an excuse, his team lost to a better one, it's that simple. If we don't win the league this term, i won't be blaming it on the lack of fans, it will be because we weren't good enough. If others want to do so, it's entirely up to them.
    The effect of no home fans is present in the piece.
    If we lose the title this year, perhaps it doesnt play a part, maybe it does. I guess it would depend on the points differential. Id agree with respect to fulham v arsenal today (i didnt watch) it would likely have not overturned the result.

I dont think you can deny the 12th man of Anfield. It doesnt guarantee wins but it plays its part. Similarly the travelling kop do their bit too.
    Herr Klopp made a bold and important decision early on in his lfc career to let the fans know what he wanted.
    Remember he felt so alone.

It would also be interesting imo to see how the trend develops over time. But im hoping for a return of fans in october.

The loopy locals and their insane support is widely recognised across the continent.
    Istanbul halftime and barca 4-0 at Anfield they played their part in two of the, if not the, greatest comebacks in european football.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Keita, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Adrian, Fabinho, Milner, Jones, Minamino, Origi, Matip.
    Leader of all..master of none..

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The loopy locals and their insane support is widely recognised across the continent.
    Istanbul halftime and barca 4-0 at Anfield they played their part in two of the, if not the, greatest comebacks in european football.
    What changed in Istanbul was Hamann coming on at half time. If the crowd played any part, where were they in the first half ?. We were getting hammered, that's why they brought him on, had they not done it would have been even worse. Some of our fans even left the ground at half time, i don't call that very loyal, it's a good job the players didn't give in.
    Last edited by skyebo; 12th September 2020 at 04:48 PM.