Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Meet William Spearman, Liverpool’s secret weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Surely nobody dislikes stats in and of themselves? I mean that would be sheer stupidity. There are however many people who begrudge
    a perceived over reliance on stats for the sake of stats. As if they will tell us all we need to know...We can close our eyes and lose all sense of the game now and hand it over to statisticians and those who would analyse numbers..

Personally I am all for analysis - just don’t believe it is nearly as effective as current wisdom dictates - and largely due to the same old human flaws.
    Yeah, I think you've put it much better than I did. And those people aren't completely wrong. An overreliance on stats is fine, as long as you have a good enough understanding of said stats and enough of them. Reductio ad absurdum: if you have infinite stats, infinite computing time and infinite knowledge of how stats interplay, you don't need to watch a single minute of football becuase you'll have all the possible insight. All of it. In fact you'll have all the knowledge in the universe but that's beside the point.

I guess the media is instinctively aware of this and realises that people sometimes trust numbers. The trouble is that the way the use those number is so poor, that they're so often so extremely wide of the mark that people like you and me can clearly see it with our own eyes. That's why I gave the Thiago example. Which hurts the media's credibility. That, in turn, makes people distrustful of any sort of stats analysis, which isn't necessarily fair.

Though it's never a bad idea to see if what your eyes tell you and what the stats say matches up or not. That's definitely true.

Edit: Iirc a maths professor once told us something to the effect of "if you did the right things but got to a seemingly correct answer that feels funny for some reason you can't quite put your finger on... maybe check your work a few more times. Usually there's something wrong."
    Last edited by Balinkay; 16th September 2020 at 06:46 PM.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Surely nobody dislikes stats in and of themselves? I mean that would be sheer stupidity. There are however many people who begrudge
    a perceived over reliance on stats for the sake of stats. As if they will tell us all we need to know...We can close our eyes and lose all sense of the game now and hand it over to statisticians and those who would analyse numbers..

Personally I am all for analysis - just don’t believe it is nearly as effective as current wisdom dictates - and largely due to the same old human flaws.
    Goals win games. Irreputable stat.
    Aubameyang has best chance conversion in premier history over past 10 years?
    No buyers?
    Same age 31 as Gareth Bale but far less trophies.
    Signed new contract extension with Arsenal and says he wants to go down as a legend.
    Bale seldom plays but c. 600k per week wages, Pierre c 250k and always playing
    Hope he does not score against us.
    Somewhat restored my belief in football.
    He seems genuinely happy there

I wonder what mr data analysis.. ahem - would tell us about this young fella. 18 years old... haha

New from MatigolVidz... and all from the single topurnament

Eminem and Led Zeppelin?
    Kashmir fecking ruined.