Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thiago analogy

This, although early in the season is one of those 'sending a message' type games.
    A bit like Leic 0-4 earlier this year, that just about cemented our intentions to win the League IMO
    Once a Red,
    you'll never walk alone

Quote Originally Posted by worldpanel View Post
    This, although early in the season is one of those 'sending a message' type games.
    A bit like Leic 0-4 earlier this year, that just about cemented our intentions to win the League IMO
    I remember that game very well. Keita had his best game for us that day, totally bossed the midfield, then he got dropped for the next game to make way for Lallana. Klopp must have had a knock to the head.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Superb how he keeps the game constantly evolving in the final third with his incisive passes - he bamboozles that packed blue wall. They get no clue as to which side he will go - how deep the ball or the angle...would have been even more effective still v 11.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Should it of been a penalty against him? It looked like Werner tripped himself over.
    If u saw how Man City keep trying to dive in the box and got a penalty, there will be no suprised this penalty is a penalty.

Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

He'll need to sharpen up on being part of our press, which will come in time

And Hendo and the other lads will need to have a word with him about not giving the officials any opportunity to give something, I love how we play and a big part of that being we don't give officials any chance whatsoever to give wrong decisions against us as they did for the pen v Chelsea.

I banged on about that for years, that given any opportunity to award a decision against us, officials more often than not did, so we had to limit their opportunities and it's incredibly evident in how we play and how our defenders stand up thta we make every effort to stop officials having the opportunity to do that. Thiago needs to be informed why we play like that and that it isn't a level playing field as far as our club is concerned with officials
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Possibly - but we don't want to turn him into what we already have. Needs to bring that finesse - the metronomic, intricate and incisive forward passing that we often lack to feed our front 3. We can't rely on the bombing wing backs all the time - teams are getting wise to it. If deployed correctly he will save our legs... Teams are pressing us - He can make them pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    He'll need to sharpen up on being part of our press, which will come in time

And Hendo and the other lads will need to have a word with him about not giving the officials any opportunity to give something, I love how we play and a big part of that being we don't give officials any chance whatsoever to give wrong decisions against us as they did for the pen v Chelsea.

I banged on about that for years, that given any opportunity to award a decision against us, officials more often than not did, so we had to limit their opportunities and it's incredibly evident in how we play and how our defenders stand up thta we make every effort to stop officials having the opportunity to do that. Thiago needs to be informed why we play like that and that it isn't a level playing field as far as our club is concerned with officials
    Will ya give over with that shite. We get as many decisions as anyone in our favour. More than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Possibly - but we don't want to turn him into what we already have. Needs to bring that finesse - the metronomic, intricate and incisive forward passing that we often lack to feed our front 3. We can't rely on the bombing wing backs all the time - teams are getting wise to it. If deployed correctly he will save our legs... Teams are pressing us - He can make them pay.
    I think you misunderstand what I meant, first game he fitted very nicely into our midfield and our press, was slightly off in a few moments getting the wrong side of players on the odd occasion and trying to go the wrong side to win the odd ball he couldn't.

I only meant it's a case of him finding his place and the balance of almost always being available for the pass and being far enough off his man to receive it comfortably and still being in a great position to stop any potential counter should our play break down and he'll find that place quickly i'm sure

I'm also really looking forward to the rotation of 3 midfield positions in time and games that we saw emerge last season when Fabinho was out, it could be sensationally fluid with both Thiago's and Henderson's switch ability and ball playing ability

I do disagree with the comment about our full backs, I don't think teams are getting wise to them, when we're playing our switch balls to release them in space on the opposite side, play having been compressed in an area on the other side of the ptich, it's pretty unstoppable however well teams are drilled, it was more a case of playing games without Hendo since the enforced Covid break and so having no-one in midfield to play those switch balls, no we have Hendo and Thaigo who can play them effortlessly at will, Thaigo with either foot. If anything, the Thiago metronome of playing the ball into an area to receive it back and play a first time pin point switch to the opposite side of the field will make our full backs even more potent and important
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”