Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabinho at centre back

Fabinho at centre back

I'd like to see him retain his place there, he showed a gulf in experience between himself and Gomez in the game on Sunday and it has to be remembered he is a player with greater experience as a defender than Gomez

I think the issue we have with Joe is very very difficult to resolve, without bringing in another defender and sending him out on loan.

There's a very obvious reason that Joe is found wanting so badly so frequently when there's real defending to do that isn't just a foot race and that reason is his lack of experience. He barely has any experience that the likes of Virgil, Fabinho, Matip have at actual real defending over several seasons in sides who didn't have a press like ours and restrict the opposition to so few chances to create or get on the ball in advanced positions in and around our box and the question and dilemma is how on earth is Joe going to get the experience he desperately needs of defending situations like that in our team?

Fabinho to continue at CB please
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I can't imagine Gomez being too happy with a loan in all truth - could easily push him out of the club and given that he is only 23 (which, in centre-back terms, means plenty in the tank) you would think he will continue to improve a fair bit yet.

As for Fabinho, he was great. He coped really well with the situations with Werner, though I would say that it's also easy to foresee situations where he gets beaten by a different player, so don't want to get too carried away with how good he was after one performance.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

It looked like he'd played there all his life the other day, my MOTM and i don't see any real urgency to replace Lovren, though i thought that anyway because, when fit, Gomez and Matip are options too. Taking Fab out of the midfield should make little difference now with the signing of Thiago because there isn't room for all 4 in there anyway.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

"...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Thanks for the link Vin, it was a good read.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

At the start of the season we have been taking a slightly higher line.Its been difficult for Fabihino in the sense hes had to do everything quicker. rather than keep the ball going at the back and around the sides. with a slower build up.
    On Sunday he did great as Chelsea didnt press that much. Then times he had to deal with Werner he did well. because Fabhino is better on the floor with his feet than Gomez.I would keep Fab at centre back for now. But to me hes better at DM.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Players who are comfortable in a few positions like Fabinho are priceless.

But before his big injury against Burnley, Joe was brilliant at centre back , and many were saying he was maybe as good as Virgil. So what has happened? I agree there has been a dip in his performances.

Very good to see, great support of a teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    But before his big injury against Burnley, Joe was brilliant at centre back , and many were saying he was maybe as good as Virgil. So what has happened? I agree there has been a dip in his performances.
    Hard to know, think he gets sacrificed/shafted a lot by our fans and theres southgate/yobling incident too.

Did brilliantly at rb for us and on the international stage with great 1v1 ability and his pre-injury stint at centreback was immense.

Imo its a bit like Matip, who was great in his first season, waivered a bit with injuries and reestablished his previous great from.

Think Joe just needs to get back to it and i hope and expect he will. Should get a lot of opportunities over the season.