Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1720212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games 26/12/20

We have lost much of the massive advantage we had over them just 18 months ago.

It happened in the summer of 2019 when Klopp talked about paying the bills.

If you can’t go again after becoming European Champions then you have a bit of a financial problem.. fast forward to almost 2021 and we have spent £38 million since May 2019...

Cannot expect the same players to keep playing at what IMO was above their natural level for as long as they have without dips in form also physical & mental fatigue.

You have to keep it fresh or you do not progress.

Our results since the injuries to Virgil and Gomez have actually improved over what went before in 2020. It is easy to put it down to Virgil being out but watch the Villa game.

Too many of our players have played too many close - nerve biting games where they had to be mentality monsters - like United had tonight. It takes its toll - you need a huge squad.
    Last edited by Steveo; 29th December 2020 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    We need to get some players back from injury soon-ish. (fingers crossed for Diogo and Thiago)

We also need some players who've been out of form all season the wake the hell up and get back to their best (looking at Trent, ...and even our front three who've not clicked all together at the same time).

We'll also need Klopp to learn how to better use his subs and not wait until the 85th minute or the 88th minute to make his first sub in a game in which we come out flat in the second half.

Lots to work on.
    Any chance of a 2 week break because of covid. Give us a chance to get a few back 😊
    After the injuries early in the season I was all doom and gloom. They team have surprised me and done well to still be top.
    Against a team like united we always raise our game, its the lower teams that seem to cause us trouble. Is it attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Maybe. It would be nice if he just doesn't break down after five minutes on the pitch.
    There's a lot of expectation surrounding him, let's hope he lives up to the hype. He's only played one and a bit games so it could go either way. Keita came with a glowing reference and look how he's turned out.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    That's a bit harsh on him.

He got his current injury when he was in the game for the entire game until the Blueshite took him out with a dirty foul in the 70th minute.

It's not like he left off limping in the 50th minute from an injury he picked when no one was anywhere near around him.
    It was as much about our overall level of injuries, as it was about his injury record, and I acknowledge that this particular one was inflicted upon him by a **** (use your expletive of choice).

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    They are a serious threat and people need to respect that.
    Still not sold on that just yet. Let's not forget that Spurs had the highest points total over a two(?)-season period but won nothing.

I also think that the recent seasons of ourselves and City somewhat running away with things brushes over how Football "used" to be - title "races" all hype aside begin in late February/early March. We could find that by the time we have finished our match against United we are 3 points behind them. Equally, if we notch up a few results here (including a win against United) and Villa beat the Mancs on Friday, United could be 8 points adrift by late January.

It's still too early. 9 wins from their first 15 games, same as us, so can't be completely ignored, but I think it's the Ghost of United past at play in the mind. They have pacey attackers and Fernandes which helps a lot but they're not the complete package just yet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    They are grinding out wins and have some decent strikers. They are getting momentum which is a big thing. We will need to beat them in a few weeks.
    We've been poor for probably more than half of our games and are top of the league. Players to come back and we can certainly improve. Being pushed by another team might actually wake us up a bit and I'm certain Kopp needs no more motivation than that shower of shite.
    They are grinding out wins but have won games they should have lost on a few occasions, that won't keep happening for them. They also tend to get carried away and come crashing down to earth soon after.
    I get people are taking notice but its early days and ourselves and city are still odds on for the top 2 places.

@ Sid ...Still in demise...

It shows how fickle and easily swayed some fans are. Go back less than a month ago.
    Spurs were our main threat and Utd had just shit the bed against Leipzig and were in a crisis and tears behind.

Dec 29th. Worried about them.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    We've been poor for probably more than half of our games and are top of the league. Players to come back and we can certainly improve. Being pushed by another team might actually wake us up a bit and I'm certain Kopp needs no more motivation than that shower of shite.
    They are grinding out wins but have won games they should have lost on a few occasions, that won't keep happening for them. They also tend to get carried away and come crashing down to earth soon after.
    I get people are taking notice but its early days and ourselves and city are still odds on for the top 2 places.
    It is early days. But the winning games that they should have lost, how many times did we do that last year?
    The longer they are there the more concerning. I still City as being the biggest threat as you say.
    I would be concerned if we will last with our injuries at the back. Not getting in a centre back in January could cost us big. Especially if matip is out long term.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    It shows how fickle and easily swayed some fans are. Go back less than a month ago.
    Spurs were our main threat and Utd had just shit the bed against Leipzig and were in a crisis and tears behind.

Dec 29th. Worried about them.
    It's indeed why i hate threads mocking other teams!