Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Nat Philips

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Its a tricky one with Nat as its clear the high line doesnt suit him but if Klopp wasnt here and someone like Simeone/Rafa were then its adifferent story.

I guess we will keep him next season unless someone offers say £12-15m.

Whatever happens he has stepped up and put the performances and desire in he is limited but as fans you cant ask for anymore.
    Yes he is limited at present but surely he can improve given more game time and alongside a more experienced CB and in a more settled team.
    I hope he stays and gets more such games next season.
    CB does not need so much speed but rather nous although the addition of speed can help.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Yes he is limited at present but surely he can improve given more game time and alongside a more experienced CB and in a more settled team.
    I hope he stays and gets more such games next season.
    CB does not need so much speed but rather nous although the addition of speed can help.
    CB absolutely does need speed when you play as we usually do, Jurgen even made the horrendous error of keeping Gomez in instead of getting Matip back in asap when he was fit again last season, just because Joe's quicker, even though Matip's no slouch and Joe's not even half the defender Matip is

And if you think Jurgen and our staff are going to coach Phillips to a much higher level, look at the lack of coaching they've put into Fabinho where they could turn a very good player into an exceptional one and they can't coach pace into Phillips
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    CB absolutely does need speed when you play as we usually do, Jurgen even made the horrendous error of keeping Gomez in instead of getting Matip back in asap when he was fit again last season, just because Joe's quicker, even though Matip's no slouch and Joe's not even half the defender Matip is

And if you think Jurgen and our staff are going to coach Phillips to a much higher level, look at the lack of coaching they've put into Fabinho where they could turn a very good player into an exceptional one and they can't coach pace into Phillips
    I am not understanding your post.
    CB needs speed more than nous?
    And NAT has shown such development in his limited time with us this season and in such difficult circumstances. And at this business end of the season has made his presence felt in both boxes.

And NAT has shown such development in his limited time with us this season and in such difficult circumstances. And at this business end of the season has made his presence felt in both boxes.
    I'm with you, quickness in the head is more important than speed on your feet, if you can read a game and have good positional sense that will get you through more games. Full backs and wingers rely on pace, central defenders don't.

A top centre back, playing in a team that plays 2v2 a lot with a very high line a lot, needs both

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I'm with you, quickness in the head is more important than speed on your feet, if you can read a game and have good positional sense that will get you through more games. Full backs and wingers rely on pace, central defenders don't.
    Nat Baresi...

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Nat Baresi...

Incredible player Stevio.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Incredible player Stevio.
    Yep quite ridiculous he was.. Almost didn't need a keeper..

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    A top centre back, playing in a team that plays 2v2 a lot with a very high line a lot, needs both
    So what was Jurgen's mistake?
    And..
    Do/will we always need to keep such a high line?
    Horses for courses
    Not saying NAT is brilliant but he has not yet had chance to blossom and what chances he has been offered he has not been found lacking in effort and input.
    Last Nine games
    Win 7
    Draw 2
    Loss 0
    GF 19
    GA 6
    I think the draws maybe have been without NAT (stand to be corrected!)

So what was Jurgen's mistake?
    And..
    Do/will we always need to keep such a high line?
    Horses for courses
    Not saying NAT is brilliant but he has not yet had chance to blossom and what chances he has been offered he has not been found lacking in effort and input.
    Last Nine games
    Win 7
    Draw 2
    Loss 0
    GF 19
    GA 6
    I think the draws maybe have been without NAT (stand to be corrected!)
    Not getting Matip back into the starting line up in place of Gomez as soon as he was fit and available again last season, major error, as you're alluding too, Gomez might be quicker than Matip, but Matip is a far superior defender than Gomez will ever be and a time served vastly more experienced defender and you need that nous when you're playing a side like Atletico in the Champions League quarter final, and that extra ability at set pieces in both boxes

Jurgen seems to like the high line, I don't think it needs to be as high, but when we're chasing a result and a last minute winner and push both full backs high, it has to be high

Yes but you're missing the point on this, we have tweaked and developed how we play and belatedly managed to find form rhythm and confidence playing that way after being robbed of all our pace at CB, do we play better playing the way we've had to adapt to playing? No

Does playing the way we've had to adapt to playing restrict us in a few ways? Yes absolutely

Therefore is it likely we will continue playing the way we've had to adapt to playing this season when we have Virgil and Matip back and bring in Konate and will continue restricting how we are able to play to accommodate Nat at CB? Not in a million years

Are we more likely to win football matches with 2 commanding CBs at our attacking set pieces and 2 to defend set pieces? Yes

Are we more likely to win football matches when if we are needing a late goal we can play a really high line, and play 2v2 at the back in complete confidence and push both our full backs very high? Yes

Are we more likely to breakdown park the bus sides when we have our line at a height from which Virgil, Matip or Konate can play a balls over the top of a defence camped on their own 18 yard line for one of our forward and can have more players in great counter pressing positions to win second balls? Yes

Are we more likely to win football matches when both our LCB and RCB are capable of playing absolutely top quality longer passes to release either forward or full back? Yes

Nat didn't play in either draw and was sorely missed, but that does not make him a solution at CB that will enable us to get back to playing at our very highest levels next season, what he has done so far and how he has developed has been brilliant, but he just isn't a long term solution to what we need at CB