Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Elliott

Definitely needs a loan

Who Jones or Harvey?

Jones, in response to kev’s post above

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Jones, in response to kev’s post above
    Probably the worse thing he could have done in some ways is that long-range goal against Everton in the Cup - think it was his debut.

It put him out there as a "Gerrard type" and yet his skill-set (strong, hard to shake off the ball, first touch is generally good) mean he'll probably end up being better-suited to being a bit deeper and being an available option to move the ball along to other players etc.

I'd be reluctant to get rid of him given the Homegrown Quota and his age, but am certainly glad he's probably 7th-choice at the minute, as I don't think he'd be quite good enough if there was a lengthy spell of him needing to be relied upon as a starter. Looks like he needs an amount of minutes that we can't afford to give him right now.

The thing is Sid, he did that kind of thing regularly as an academy player. He was at the centre of everything, created goals, scored goals, and looked like the complete midfielder. Unfortunately, like many young players he's struggled to transfer that ability into the senior squad. Maybe it will happen for him, maybe not. One thing's for sure, is that he's got some serious competition from Elliot and Carvalho.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    They're both already better than Jones I'd say, Jones hasn't really developed much at all, could do with a loan away.. failing that, a new club
    i guess he's staying until at least xmas with the injuries we have, or he may well have been loaned.
    he'd need to develop a lot to get to the std we're aiming for even as a squad member. if the necessary development isnt there by June i guess he'll be sold in the mould of solanke, ibe, wisdom or loaned with a view to selling on soon after.

Following his MOTM performance (IMO) against Newcastle today's a big day for him.
    Can he do it again when we need him ? Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Following his MOTM performance (IMO) against Newcastle today's a big day for him.
    Can he do it again when we need him ? Here's hoping.
    He’s probably been our best player so far and despite what CluelessX says, was easily the MOTM against Newcastle

A piece on Harvey Elliot

"Harvey Elliott has given Jürgen Klopp a tricky Liverpool conundrum he needs to quickly fix
    Harvey Elliott has been impressive for Liverpool this season, but he has also struggled in a few areas of his game and has presented Jürgen Klopp with a conundrum.

There is no denying that if there has been one bright spark in what has been a gloomy season to date for Liverpool, it's Harvey Elliott.

Liverpool's teenage sensation has caught the eye with his energy and ability on the ball. Elliott's constant runs forward and his ability to create chances have made him one of the focal points of Liverpool's attack. and the numbers reflect that.

Elliott ranks in the top five for key passes in the Premier League for Liverpool this season (seven) and he has also averaged the second most shot-creating actions per 90 with 4.91, while making the fourth-highest (53) amount of pressures in the team and attempting (16) the third most dribbles, as per FBref.

It's clear he has been a stand-out player for Liverpool while in possession. However, as writer Sam McGuire has recently highlighted, Elliott's desire to be in possession has likely had a negative effect on the team.

Taking a look at Elliott's heatmap in the season so far as per Wyscout, one thing is glaringly obvious, Elliott likes to hog the side of the pitch rather than central areas.

In possession, he plays almost like a winger which is undoubtedly down to the fact that he has mainly played as a wide player for his entire career at academy level and the central role is a new position for him, especially at Liverpool.

This in itself would not necessarily be a negative, but the issue stems from the fact that Elliott occupies the kind of positions that Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold, Liverpool's two dangermen, would inhabit normally. Therefore, Elliott's continual drifting towards the wing in turn diminishes their impact on the match.

Not to mention, with Elliott playing almost like a wide player, he leaves the midfield exposed in transitions and the likes of Fabinho vulnerable. It is entirely possible that the Brazilian has struggled primarily for that reason this season.

Given how fresh Elliott is to the role, it is no surprise that he is still adjusting himself in the position, and while he has shown a lot of positives, in order to be considered a midfield player he does need to occupy more central positions in the future.

Another area he needs to improve on is his defensive ability. He has been the player who has been dribbled past (nine) the most in this Liverpool team this season in the Premier League and has made fewer tackles and interceptions than James Milner and Jordan Henderson. Altogether, he has won just 18.2 per cent of his attempted tackles.

Those are numbers poor for any player on the pitch, let alone a midfielder in Jürgen Klopp's system who is required to win possession on a regular basis, and might need to change.

Elliott may be exciting in possession, and he is certainly a talent who should have a bright future at Anfield. But right now he is simply an unpolished diamond, and Klopp still needs to do plenty of drilling and polishing to get the best out of his teenage sensation."

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-harvey-elliott-jurgen-klopp-24974327

For me Carvalho has looked more sensational.

Elliot has dome alright imo, not best suited to our right side of midfield though, should be on the left, or with a fuller squad get some minutes as a sub for Salah (being a young rwf and all)

That's a great piece CCTV that I really can't find fault in except for it misses the point about him not supporting Mo or Trent as they need to be supported to play at their best through defensive covering and positioning and what he does without the ball, or address the issue that he is indeed playing wide often in their space, but he has no fucking right foot, he must currently be the most almost entirely one footed player in professional football, it makes no sense for him to be in those wide areas and constantly check back onto his left foot passing up great opportunities to put the ball in, it's frankly fucking ridiculous

He's a bit Thiago, looks great, does quite a lot of good things, but his good things don't fit with the rest of the players on compliment the team, another misfit, Jurgen and his coaching staff seem to be losing their way to me in all honesty, he's the third player they have persisted in pursuing some ideal of theirs with that seems clearly not to fit with how all the other players play at their best

Loads here praising Elliott have been slagging Mo and Trent, the article details as I have continued to that their lesser than usual standards are unquestionably a results of Elliott being employed at RCM

It negatively affects, Robbo/Tsimikas, Diaz, Mo, Trent, Matip, Van Dijk, Alisson, Fabinho, Hendo and whoever plays No9, the fantasy of playing him at RCM and it not disrupting every single thing the other players do or not impacting on them is exactly that, it's a disaster

His best game was v the bitters, because he actually made the triangles with Mo and Trent and covered both and enabled both to play more like they usually do than in any other game he's played in, and it's the only game he's done that for us since we signed him, but even in the game v the bitters, it coming to him advanced wide at RCM and the other players making their runs and movement as they would if Hendo, Trent, Thiago and even Oxlade, hell, even fucking Naby too were in that position, expecting a quality ball in low or to the far post or little threaded ball for Mo, and EVERY single time, he checked back onto his left and numerous potential opportunities were lost, in the history of shit ideas by Jurgen and our coaching staff, playing Elliott at RCM to the detriment of every other player has to be even shitter than persisting with Fab after he was rumbled as a high destroyer
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 11th September 2022 at 02:58 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”