Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor midfield recruitment model

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

No way does fsg spend 100+m of own money

but it's obvious to me, I hope i'm surprised it's about time FSG put some money into this club without big sales.
    you won't be surprised because that isn't the model

it's not about time because it never was the time and never will be the time

At least Virgil is really stepping up in his leadership, far more direction coming from him this season and we'll need that as Milner and Hendo are phased out and don't get it from any of our other current midfielders, so also something to consider when recruiting 2 top CM's this summer while offloading Thiago and Keita and sending Jones out on loan

Incidentally, Jurgen revealed recently that in the talk before going out it is most frequently given by Milner, Henderson or Robbo and not Jurgen or any of the coaches, so that is also a consideration
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    you won't be surprised because that isn't the model

it's not about time because it never was the time and never will be the time
    Then what I said, is obviously what will happen.

You never know?
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Fabinho - Apps 30 - W16 D8 L6 Goals 0 (zero) Assists 0 (zero) Big chances created 0 (zero) Shots on target 1 (one) Accurate long balls 98

As we're not comparing apples with apples or oranges with oranges let's contrast that with Henderson mostly playing the same position in 19-20

Henderson - 30 Apps - Won 27 D2 L1 Goals 4 Assists 5 Big chances created 9 Shots on target 8 Accurate long balls 125

LOOK at those stats, see how irrelevant using stats actually is when you're not comparing apples with apples? It does illustrate the issue of Fab not being nearly good enough with the ball though, those are absolutely shocking stats for any midfielder from last season and we have suffered from teams getting men behind the ball and picking all out other players up, blocking lines and just letting him have it for that reason in numerous games, not just this season
    So he's improved alot with 3 goals and 1 Assist this season. Not a bad return for our holding midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    So he's improved alot with 3 goals and 1 Assist this season. Not a bad return for our holding midfielder.
    I have said he is improving and has improved a fair bit already this season, that people thought he was in any way shape of form a good signing and an acceptable player to play as No6 in our system prior to those improvements, which have been fairly considerable in his positioning in the press and counter press more than anything else, remains entirely beyond me, aside from the salient fact that he isn't Henderson, the player who took the armband off Stevie to then lead the club to trophies he was unable to

I think the best aspect of Fabinho signing in the first 2 seasons was the incredible improvement and raising of his game Hendo made to get his place back

@19
    The question had been asked about what decent affordable midfielders from the Prem were available and I threw Bissouma in there.
    Not seen Touchy Feely so can’t comment on him.

Fabinho - Apps 30 - W16 D8 L6 Goals 0 (zero) Assists 0 (zero) Big chances created 0 (zero) Shots on target 1 (one) Accurate long balls 98

As we're not comparing apples with apples or oranges with oranges let's contrast that with Henderson mostly playing the same position in 19-20

Henderson - 30 Apps - Won 27 D2 L1 Goals 4 Assists 5 Big chances created 9 Shots on target 8 Accurate long balls 125

LOOK at those stats, see how irrelevant using stats actually is when you're not comparing apples with apples? It does illustrate the issue of Fab not being nearly good enough with the ball though, those are absolutely shocking stats for any midfielder from last season and we have suffered from teams getting men behind the ball and picking all out other players up, blocking lines and just letting him have it for that reason in numerous games, not just this season
    Stats are as useful as the case you make with them.

You comparing Fabinho from last season - our injury crisis season, achieving Klopps worst record breaking spell consecutive losses, and at home iirc, and possibly the clubs history for ages.

With Hendo playing in our premier league winning season. Arguably Hendo's personal best season.

It won't tell you much.

Any fit regular starters, who were playing during our tricky patch last season can have a case made against them by comparing with our best seasons stats of players.

But people can discount the wisdom of such analysis.

Virgil on these sort of stats should be our club captain mind you.
    Since he arrived at the club he's fit in like a glove likely, and has our best points per game for his career at LFC surely.

Tackles
    Intercepts
    Last man tackles
    Headers won
    Most tackles in a game etc
    I'm guessing fab wins on these sort of metrics.

Fabinho probably has better career stats at LFC, as Hendo has played in worse sides statistically.

Over their lfc careers under Klopp, Fab has been a stalwart in one of our best ever sides.
    Both Fab and Hendo are Klopps go to guys to play 6 presently.

Thereafter we are a bit thin for replacements of thier ilk, with Milner/age/minutes and Thiago/physique/bookingmagnet not being great like for like replacements.

Hopefully we manage our resources more sensibly and don't end up failing to take advantage of what's actually at our disposal.
    We need to protect both imo and get more berths in the team for some serious attacking talent - where we seem stacked and most well suited to pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Stats are as useful as the case you make with them.
    The exact point of my post, you can use them to make whatever point you want by not comparing apples with apples, which is what you did with the hapless gomez and continually do and what Ian did using stats when we weren't playing our usual way so the challenges of playing in midfield weren't remotely comparable to those of any of Jurgen's other seasons in charge, see how you lot like it Oh you don't, it's only ok to skew things using stats not comparing apple with apples when you do it, I seeeeeeeeeeeeee

The exact point of my post, you can use them to make whatever point you want by not comparing apples with apples, which is what you did with the hapless gomez and continually do and what Ian did using stats when we weren't playing our usual way so the challenges of playing in midfield weren't remotely comparable to those of any of Jurgen's other seasons in charge, see how you lot like it Oh you don't, it's only ok to skew things using stats not comparing apple with apples when you do it, I seeeeeeeeeeeeee
    You brought up stats, Ian replied to one aspect of them.

You can argue your case as stupidly as you like, that is true but people tend to critically reply as is the nature of a forum.

Pointed out stats fab typically beats Hendo on in my reply.

As I did with your critique of our attacking play/ goalscoring this season, by pointing to our stats for this season being better than our 2 recent successful seasons on goals per game.
    Scoring goals hasn't been a problem, it's been the midfield setup predominantly that has cost us.

Klopps still in the race for 4 titles. He has a squad to win silverware. Crying your heart out over some French boys just seems a little unmeasured

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    You brought up stats, Ian replied to one aspect of them.

You can argue your case as stupidly as you like, that is true but people tend to critically reply as is the nature of a forum.

Pointed out stats fab typically beats Hendo on in my reply.
    Again completely pointless stats though The need for a player like Fab to rack up those kind of stats only occurs through Fab being at No6, when Hendo was at No6 in the period I am referring to, we pressed and counter pressed absolutely expertly, almost perfectly as a team and had no need whatsoever or the situations happening in game for any player to rack up those stats - Apples and apples