Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor midfield recruitment model

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Keita go the other way

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I do agree with the notion that Bellingham fits as an LFC player. However, it will take a record bid to buy him and does anyone seriously see us doing that?
    I'm not sure, I'd definitely sway towards no than yes. The other factor to consider is will BVB sell both and Haaland? Haaland is nailed on to leave, selling both would be a bold move.
    I agree about Dortmund.

Thing is Bellingham looks talented but at £80-100m it’s unlikely plus their has been some big flops from Germany last few years I’d be nervous spending that on him.

I do agree with the notion that Bellingham fits as an LFC player. However, it will take a record bid to buy him and does anyone seriously see us doing that?
    I'm not sure, I'd definitely sway towards no than yes. The other factor to consider is will BVB sell both and Haaland? Haaland is nailed on to leave, selling both would be a bold move.
    Bellingham ticks a lot of boxes, categorising him in Jurgen's midfielder roles, he'd be incredibly comfortable as a controller or more attacking midfielder on either side and combining the 2 roles which is what we want/need, he isn't a player i view as comfortable and accomplished at No6 or No8 controller or attacking though which for me is absolutely ideally what we want and 2 of them
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I agree about Dortmund.

Thing is Bellingham looks talented but at £80-100m it’s unlikely plus their has been some big flops from Germany last few years I’d be nervous spending that on him.
    You're right. Plenty over the last few seasons, ones that have looked the real deal.
    Keita,Havertz,Werner just to name 3. Completely different ball game over here. I do like the idea of us going out for him and if its what Klopp wants I'd trust his judgement 100%. It would be a risk though.
    Miller makes a good suggestion there too, might suit both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    When hendo makes less tackles and intercepts its class with you and our teams press.
    In the period and run of games I have spoken about our system being played to the very highest levels it ever has and Jurgen and the coaching staff concurring with that calling it 'as near to perfection as possible' after several performances, the press and counter press was THAT good, incredible, near perfection every game

And while you do not like this because it deflates your argument and shows your own restricted thinking and appreciation in the arguments you're attempting to make, it is actual fact and entirely logical as explained in my earlier post, when your press and counter press is THAT near perfect, the opposition doesn't have good possession, they can't get good possession, build up a head of steam or have enough of the ball to require your midfield to need to make any number of tackles or interceptions - There's no escaping that CCTV, in that situation, over an entire game, in which you completely and utterly dominate than and stifle them, when are the passages of play you need to make interceptions and tackles in?

When Gomez made less tackles and intercepts its nothing to do
    Absolutely, that is correct, when you're CB's and goalkeeper are virtually redundant the entire game, because the press and counter press from your other 8 players is so consistently near perfect for over 90 minutes, posting clean sheet stats for them when they haven't had to make any significant contribution to those clean sheets is irrelevant, it's a manipulation of stats to make an invalid point

The press and counter press with Fab at No6 INSTANTLY fell off a cliff when he was brought back in, ancient history now, but actual fact, also a fact that if your press and counter press is nowhere near the levels you need it to be, you will need midfielders or at least a midfielder in there who will intercept and tackle a lot more

Our press and counter press has NEVER recovered, it has never got back to being anywhere near the levels Klopp and Linders described numerous times as "Near perfection" and that is because of personnel

I'm not arguing about it, I don't know why I am even offering you a further explanation of something your fixed ideas of what a midfielders role should consist of and how the game works prevent you from seeing

Before Jurgen none of us had ever seen pressing and counter pressing conducted by an entire team so expertly in every player's positioning, consistently over 90 minutes so frequently as it was in 19-20 our entire lives, it was a precious gift he gave to all of us, we hadn't seen in our entire lives of watching football prior to that and as Jurgen, his coaching staff and player recruitment and relinquishing is being managed, something we will never see the likes of again.

We've improved the press and counter press a bit for the dreadful levels it had fallen to this season a bit over recent weeks, but it is still absolutely nowhere near the 19-20 levels

Probably the best example of their personal status quo, as in their own rigid definition of what all midfielders should do built up over decades of watching the game played an entirely different way to how midfielders work in Jurgen's system for us, hoping he is all well and good as we've not heard from him for too long, is RedNoodle

He just could not ever move on from his own created definition of what a midfielder MUST do to the FACT that in Jurgen's system our midfielder's roles were entirely different and to support our 3 forwards and both full backs playing higher and getting more goals and assists collectively that midfielders operating as his rigid status quo dictated they should ever would or have contributed

He could not get past it

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    @eggy
    Pretty confident Bellingham and Carvalho are coming in the summer.
    Only possibility I can see in addition may be Bissouma. Fab would be the one player we have no real cover for with Hendo coming to the end of his career.
    I personally would be very pleasantly surprised if we brought in Bellingham AND Bissouma (or *insert name here* of Bissouma-ish levels of quality) given the risk-averse approach FSG have to things. I think we bring in one midfielder, rather than two, much as we may not like it.

As a fan, I want Bellingham. However, £80m or so is an enormous outlay and whilst we as fans may say it will pay for itself (ie he'll be amazing for 10 years) there is never any guarantee that a player will settle, come straight in and be a sure thing. I'm sure some Manchester United fans already have Sancho doubts for example.

So in the event we do go for Bellingham, I think it will have been countered by doing unexpectedly good business in the sales department, such as recouping half of the fee through sales of young players + Minamino or something to that effect.

However, assuming he is going for £80m+ I think it's more likely that we go for a £25m-£45m player so that, if it doesn't work out, we take less of a hit.

Ideally we look at it as Milner out, Bellingham (or alternative) in, with the new recruit playing much more than Milner currently is. I don't foresee a second high-quality acquisition without the sale of Ox or Keita and even at that I could imagine Klopp/the club instead thinking "great, that's more minutes for Elliott and Jones" whereas as fans some of us might want another player in so we can send Jones on loan.

In attack we'll likely bring Carvalho in.

At full-back I'd love a "Tsimikas" signing for Trent but will be pleasantly surprised if we get one.

Sepp van der Berg will hopefully get assessed in the Summer as he'll have had his loan with Preston and they absolutely love him there - apparently he is quite quick and works his socks off. Matip still performs at a high level but given his injury/age profile and the Gomez situation it would do no harm if we were getting Sepp closer to being on standby in the pecking order. If he is good enough to get a Premier League loan for 22/23 and does well he might be ready to be 4th choice for 23/24.

The squad certainly looks close if we do sort midfield out. It's already the best squad I can remember having in terms of depth. People occasionally complain about our bench but when you look at our options compared to, say, Rafa's, it is absolutely night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    In the period and run of games I have spoken about our system being played to the very highest levels it ever has and Jurgen and the coaching staff concurring with that calling it 'as near to perfection as possible' after several performances, the press and counter press was THAT good, incredible, near perfection every game

And while you do not like this because it deflates your argument and shows your own restricted thinking and appreciation in the arguments you're attempting to make, it is actual fact and entirely logical as explained in my earlier post, when your press and counter press is THAT near perfect, the opposition doesn't have good possession, they can't get good possession, build up a head of steam or have enough of the ball to require your midfield to need to make any number of tackles or interceptions - There's no escaping that CCTV, in that situation, over an entire game, in which you completely and utterly dominate than and stifle them, when are the passages of play you need to make interceptions and tackles in?

Absolutely, that is correct, when you're CB's and goalkeeper are virtually redundant the entire game, because the press and counter press from your other 8 players is so consistently near perfect for over 90 minutes, posting clean sheet stats for them when they haven't had to make any significant contribution to those clean sheets is irrelevant, it's a manipulation of stats to make an invalid point

The press and counter press with Fab at No6 INSTANTLY fell off a cliff when he was brought back in, ancient history now, but actual fact, also a fact that if your press and counter press is nowhere near the levels you need it to be, you will need midfielders or at least a midfielder in there who will intercept and tackle a lot more

Our press and counter press has NEVER recovered, it has never got back to being anywhere near the levels Klopp and Linders described numerous times as "Near perfection" and that is because of personnel

I'm not arguing about it, I don't know why I am even offering you a further explanation of something your fixed ideas of what a midfielders role should consist of and how the game works prevent you from seeing

Before Jurgen none of us had ever seen pressing and counter pressing conducted by an entire team so expertly in every player's positioning, consistently over 90 minutes so frequently as it was in 19-20 our entire lives, it was a precious gift he gave to all of us, we hadn't seen in our entire lives of watching football prior to that and as Jurgen, his coaching staff and player recruitment and relinquishing is being managed, something we will never see the likes of again.

We've improved the press and counter press a bit for the dreadful levels it had fallen to this season a bit over recent weeks, but it is still absolutely nowhere near the 19-20 levels
    Fabinho played regularly and contributed to our success and evolution. You seem to think this 12 game pinnacle is only replicable with him gone.
    Playing the exact same system
    But without Gini.
    Benching Bobby regulalry as Jota is ahead of him now, right ?
    Or would you bench Jota and see Bobby start more often.
    What is your best 11 presently ?

You were extremely confident prior to our 2-2 draw v Atletico because Fabinho was out and Hendo at 6.
    You need defenders to defend cause as perfect as the press and counter press might be, its never perfect and we have all seen how pivotal star quality is when we were missing it from the team at the back.

As of now we have 2 players for every position essentially with some to spare.

The best setup we've employed since we last won a title is probably 42X/4231.

A double pivot suits most of our midfield. It doesn't change our fundamentals and maximises competition, use of players and the squad.

It does feel like we've never had a squad quite this good.
    Yet there seems to be a lot of despondency about us not being able to win enough games.

Way I see it we couldn't be better set for playing 42X and winning games.

42X? 19's older kidda?

42X? 19's older kidda?
    He fucking hated Steve McMahon