Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Cardiff (FA Cup 4th round)

Ian makes a great point about seeing a player live.

You can tell if a player is good on tv obviously but ive been the same with players when ive seen them live the speed, movement, off the ball work rate is something a camara cant pick up all the time as it follows the ball.

Thiago is top class he has played his whole career at elite clubs Barca Bayern LFC you dont do that if you are no good, his only flaw is injuries.

We can have 9 lads on the bench and make 5 subs if we want, yes?

Wonderful opportunity to get minutes into the legs of a few lads.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    We can have 9 lads on the bench and make 5 subs if we want, yes?

Wonderful opportunity to get minutes into the legs of a few lads.
    Think so Sid you have to make them in 3 blocks ?

Not sure if HT is classed as a block.

We'll go fairly strong id say Alisson/Fab probably not play as had game time with Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Ian makes a great point about seeing a player live.

You can tell if a player is good on tv obviously but ive been the same with players when ive seen them live the speed, movement, off the ball work rate is something a camara cant pick up all the time as it follows the ball.

Thiago is top class he has played his whole career at elite clubs Barca Bayern LFC you dont do that if you are no good, his only flaw is injuries.
    Spot on.

Stevie G looked like he was playing a different sport, he stood out that much at times. Always looked boss on TV but at the match - different gear - and both sets of fans knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Spot on.

Stevie G looked like he was playing a different sport, he stood out that much at times. Always looked boss on TV but at the match - different gear - and both sets of fans knew it.
    Stevie was geat for us but in his early days was quite reckless with challenges and though those reckless challenges may have abated as his career transpired it was always possible for it to surface again. The captain fantastic performances for me were few and far between oftimes. He was too often perhaps regarded as the go to man and other players were too much in awe of him to the detriment of the team as a whole. Should have won much moe silverware and it is a shame that he ended his career with that slip v chelsea and a woeful world cup as england captain on his record.
    Still think he will be liverpool manager one day.

I have to say - for me that is a bit of a myth.

Stevie played much of his career in far weaker sides than we have had recently with Jurgen. Look at him with the great side Rafa built in 2009 and even the twilight of his time with Luis.

Give him more quality around him and he didn’t need to try and do it all.

The guy was off the charts fantastic.

I have to say - for me that is a bit of a myth.

Stevie played much of his career in far weaker sides than we have had recently with Jurgen. Look at him with the great side Rafa built in 2009 and even the twilight of his time with Luis.

Give him more quality around him and he didn’t need to try and do it all.

The guy was off the charts fantastic.
    What is a bit of a myth was that Stevie G was always brilliant. There were those sublime games (few and far between for me ) then those often good to decent games and then those sometmes below par. That was his career for me. Luis was a different flower who blossomed always radiantly but just shortly for us.

Saying he was always brilliant would certainly be a myth. No player is, has ever been nor will they ever be that.

The myth as I see it is that Stevie G somehow stopped others from showing their class because he was so good.

The fact is, all too often when he didn’t perform Liverpool didn’t perform. For good spells he really was the only one that would step up. He dragged us to cup finals and cup final victories - as mentioned earlier- often with a far inferior supporting cast than we have today.

It’s a myth to you Steveo because you don’t believe it but that doesn’t actually make it a myth in truth.
    There are plenty of us who believe there was a certain level of truth in scientificred’s point. Gerrard for me is our greatest ever player but not the greatest captain for a couple of reasons.

Saying he was always brilliant would certainly be a myth. No player is, has ever been nor will they ever be that.

The myth as I see it is that Stevie G somehow stopped others from showing their class because he was so good.

The fact is, all too often when he didn’t perform Liverpool didn’t perform. For good spells he really was the only one that would step up. He dragged us to cup finals and cup final victories - as mentioned earlier- often with a far inferior supporting cast than we have today.
    Stevie was oftimes great for us but any victories, and the path towards, should be regarded as a team effort.