Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14545758596061626364656667686970 LastLast

Thread: Reason No. 398,285 why it's not good to have your club owned by a Petro-Oligarch

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    He's done a cracking job to be fair. They've spent a lot of money but are miles ahead of where they should be. They were probably 3 or 4 years away from CL.

He's a little bit of a twat and the time wasting that they employ is the worst in the league but he's given the Toon a massive leg up.

Certainly more so than Hughes gave City.

Still think Newcastle will struggle to attract the very elite just by virtue of their geography.
    Tbf it's not that obvious they've spent a lot of money. What have been their biggest expenditures?

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    He's done a cracking job to be fair. They've spent a lot of money but are miles ahead of where they should be. They were probably 3 or 4 years away from CL.

He's a little bit of a twat and the time wasting that they employ is the worst in the league but he's given the Toon a massive leg up.

Certainly more so than Hughes gave City.

Still think Newcastle will struggle to attract the very elite just by virtue of their geography.
    I don't think the filthy or Newcastle get top four this season if ourselves and Chelsea and Spurs are at it, and our managers aren't self destructing, I don't think either get anywhere near it
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Newcastle have spent 250 m net since takeover. We have spent a third of that.

Pope
    Burn
    Botman
    Trippier
    Guimaraes
    Isaak
    Targett

I think both the filthy and Newcastle will get to the last 16 of the Champions League if they only have one top team in their group and 2 of the weaker teams, if they have one top team and 2 tricky considered lesser sides, one won't even be in the in Europa, the other might be
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Tbf it's not that obvious they've spent a lot of money. What have been their biggest expenditures?
    A quarter of a billion pound. And up until Jan had recieved a staggering total of £500k in transfer fees (which was a fee for a loan) in the last 3 or 4 windows.

They've not done it on a shoestring, but from where they were, they have spent very well.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Then they come for Klopp...
    I'd be gobsmacked if Klopp joined a club like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'd be gobsmacked if Klopp joined a club like that.
    Me too but that wouldn't stop them trying.

Article on the BBC sport website stating that Man City group owes 13 football clubs over 5 continents.
    Stockpiling players? Interesting article.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65780967

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/06/12/ken-early-manchester-citys-supremacy-has-made-the-rest-of-football-seem-small/

Last couple of paragraphs read as follows -

"Guardiola offered this encouragement to Inter: “Football goes on, life goes on, they will try again next year.” If this remark was not simply insincere, it displays a hopeless misunderstanding of the economy of football.

Manchester City have a very good chance of making the Champions League final again next year. Inter have almost no chance. They have liabilities of almost a billion dollars, and the current Chinese owner is at risk of being bounced out of owning the club for failing to meet debt repayments. Thirteen players are out of contract this month, and some of the best among those who remain will have to be sold unless someone else turns up to buy the club in the meantime.

In other words, Inter are going through the sort of periodic financial crisis that engulfs so many clubs that try to compete at the top level but end up making mistakes. Recent years have seen even bigger clubs than Inter, such as Barcelona and Juventus, crash and burn as the consequences of accumulated mistakes catch up with them. This doesn’t happen to City. It’s not because they never make mistakes. It’s that they can drop €50 million on a flop like Kalvin Phillips or Benjamin Mendy and it simply doesn’t matter. Costs that are daunting for a mere football club are insignificant when you are backed by the resources of a state.

City’s supremacy has achieved what no previous dominant club has done: they’ve made the rest of football seem small. Clubs regarded as giants have been swatted aside like gnats.

The lustre of the Champions League itself is fading, as Florentino Perez predicted two years ago to undeserved derision. Who, ultimately, can compete with this, except perhaps a state prepared to put in even more money? If Guardiola gets irritated when people focus on this, it’s probably because the most annoying criticisms are the accurate ones."

Very succinct.

110%