Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: International Break March/April 2022

International Break March/April 2022

I guess it might be a bit quiet on here over the next couple of weeks so I thought we could do with one thread for all of the international break stuff.

For starters, who’s going and who isn’t?

Klopp confirmed that Mané has a big game in Africa
    Thiago hasn’t been called up
    VvD has tweeted the Dutch flag
    Robertson has covid
    Keita is injured…. no, seriously, he is
    TAA isn’t as badly injured as first thought, but won’t be joining up with England

If there was one player that I would like to have a couple of weeks off, it’s Salah, but I suspect he’ll be joining up with the Egyptian squad.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Mane and Mo are both set to be involved in the same 2 massive games

Senegal v Egypt - Home and away to decide which nation progresses to the World Cup
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

On a positive note, we seem to be doing a decent job for once of our players being unavailable for meaningless international friendlies

Is Henderson joining up? He’s another one that could do with a decent rest.

Egypt v Senegal - that's Salah and Mane - World Cup play-off over two legs. Winner goes to the World Cup and loser doesn't, so expect both lads to play both matches.

Colombia - Diaz will probably be involved in two World Cup Qualifiers. They need to win both to stand any chance of getting a spot in the play-offs so they will want to use their best players.

Brazil - Alisson and Fabinho likely play both World Cup Qualifiers, although the stakes are low. If they beat Chile then they will top the group meaning the Bolivia match is a dead rubber, which Brazil hopefully rotate for / play with second gear.

Portugal - Jota will be used in a World Cup play-off v Turkey. If they win that, they'll likely face Italy in a massive game. Expect Jota to come back a bit tired.

England - Henderson, Jones, Elliott - friendly matches so hopefully not too taxing.

Scotland - Robertson could play a friendly but has Covid so may get to skip it.

Greece - Tsimikas to play a friendly. Just the one I think so a handy option if Robertson comes back sluggish from Covid.

Holland - Van Dijk likely picked for 2 friendlies.

Japan - Minamino likely to play World Cup qualifiers and there are two of them. Australia match could be the difference between an automatic spot or a play off so energy will be expended.

Ireland - Kelleher could be used in 2 friendlies.

Guinea - Keita would be involved in 2 friendlies if he didn't have a knee injury. I do wonder if Klopp is doing a "Fergie" with Trent but Keita often finds himself ready for Guinea matches, so you suspect he adores the national shirt - time will tell but I hope we get him back soon as the midfield is the area where we have the most injury-prone players - the right acquisition in the Summer would be boss.

Belgium - Origi could potentially feature in 2 friendlies, though would be very surprised if he got a lot of minutes.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Keita to be out a while and Henderson to get hurt on International duty. leaving us fked for April
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Thanks Sid… that’s exactly what I was looking for.

I don't know how any of our lot stomach representing England, I wouldn't represent England in anything as doing so would make me representative of the absolutely appalling value system of this country and England's values aren't representative of my values - I just couldn't do it, it'd be like saying I'm somehow ok with all the absolute shithousery and atrocities of which there are a very fucking long list

It disappoints me when people represent England, they just think about the higher profile and sponsorship money, or their agent does, I don't think they think representing England is endorsing all the very wrong shit England does, a lot of it to its own people and most vulnerable people

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Keita to be out a while and Henderson to get hurt on International duty. leaving us fked for April
    Keita injured again? Every time he comes back I think he's gonna go on a run now and start playing at a consistently high level. Feel sorry for him but we need to bin him
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Keita injured again? Every time he comes back I think he's gonna go on a run now and start playing at a consistently high level. Feel sorry for him but we need to bin him
    yeah a knee injury apparently
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century