Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jurgen to extend his current contract?

But maybe it will convert the unconverted.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    But maybe it will convert the unconverted.
    I hope so, I don't know how old the presentation is, but our pressing has become much more sophisticated since then in my opinion, it isn't the same for every game as a great many seem to think, it was tweaked for every game and different opposition and we no longer always chase in my opinion, because there are games in which we use the press to set traps and make them play or try and play in/through certain areas where we plan to steal the ball

I think pretty much everyone at least all always believed our press and counter press was all about stealing possession and/or quickly regaining it in areas we can hurt the opposition

It's always been my recruitment argument, that we ensure we increase our ability in our pressing and counter pressing as well as our technical and passing ability, for me the best thing about the press and counter press is it is more powerful than any combination of playmakers or ballers, because with those players, a team like Villareal and others will sit in their shape and read, block and intercept all their attempted passes or almost all of them in some games

With the press and counter press, for me, winning the ball high after your attack has broken down, when the opposition players have already been moved and aren't set in their shape they planned to defend against you in and rapidly attacking them from the new position is more devastatingly effective than any 1 or 2 'ballers' will ever be

I believe we do need players with greater technical ability with the ball who are also as strong if not stronger in their reading of the game and pressing and counter pressing as our best under Jurgen so far and still believe it is critical that they have very strong ability in certain types of passing, particularly the highest quality switches and medium to longer balls, as well as being far cuter at trying to play balls through or wide of the oppositions last line to release our forwards, full backs or other midfielders

The ultimate Jurgen Liverpool team in my opinion would have even better pressing and counter pressing, intensity and energy levels, combined with increased ability in all positions to be able to quickly play in or release our players in any given positions we win the ball or win the ball back in, as well as having the necessary variation and ability in their passing to play through with possession
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I thought it was interesting how he talked about the three different kinds of pressing, that some teams press to try and force the ball into a specific area of the pitch or force it into the possession of the oppositions weakest player for distribution, but we do it purely to get the ball back superquick in a dangerous area.
    What he said about Jordan was impressive, but also in that Barca game , Gini had to do Bobby's work for 45 minutes and after that game said to him, man how can you do that kind of work for 90 minutes week in week out.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I thought it was interesting how he talked about the three different kinds of pressing, that some teams press to try and force the ball into a specific area of the pitch or force it into the possession of the oppositions weakest player for distribution, but we do it purely to get the ball back superquick in a dangerous area.
    I think we do or post Pep's interview have done all those types of pressing in specific games, I think we've started to use it incredibly precisely and astutely at times, but even in doing all three kinds it is always with the goal to get the ball back superquick in dangerous areas

I thought in last season's game v the filthy for instance, we set the press quite differently and our forwards and almost encouraged them and Shaw to come forward, with Mo playing more inside away from him, to nick it around the half way line with Shaw forward to be able to release Mo in behind him

Enjoyed Jurgen's press conference today, particularly note worthy was that he didn't rule out further extending his stay in the future, that however things are going 'when it comes around again' decisions will be made on the same basis

Also noteworthy was the mention of his signing a new deal now, ahead of the summer, maybe making doing any transfer business easier as it is clear the club are providing a stable environment and continuity for the next four years

He also said he didn't think his decision would necessarily affect the decisions of Mo, Mane or Bobby, but admitted that players he didn't name had asked him if he was going to be extending his contract

On the pressing and counter pressing (not related to the presser) I think last season has made us better at using our pressing and counter pressing more tactically in some games against some opposition, because when you don't have the quality of CB's we have or their pace and reading of the game available almost all season, you can't press as we did v Villareal and in 19-20 - I've moaned quite a lot about our pressing this season at times, because we didn't get back to doing it as we did at our very best when we had our CBs back until the Villareal game, in which is was unreal, 19-20 peak levels.

The best signing we have ever made during the PL era.

Love the guy not only is he a great manager he also has values that I share too.

Brilliant news.

We've only just begun.....

What’s this? a tweaked strap line for Lloyds bank.

Very woody.

Just needs to be a red horse.

lots of very nice honest comments being made about Klopp, the club (us) and, ok Pep too on redcafe. The kids must still be in bed