Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Most influential player

Its amazing we have so many players who would literally walk into pretty much any team in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    If Tsimikas plays, Robbo isn’t missed too much.
    Robbos 2022 form is well ahead of Trents imo

Gomez & Milner are fine back up options too, even if less of a like for like replacement

In terms of importance, given my view of it being a collective effort, so in no particular order

Alisson, Van Dijk, Matip, Henderson, Robertson, Trent, Mo

They're our very best players and most important players, Mo is the most debatable because I find him necessary because the team is very specifically geared up to play to his strengths
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Tempting to add Jota to that list also, he scores so many important goals out of next to nothing, when we're playing not that great and doesn't need a few chances to get on the score sheet - Before Covid robbed him of just a tiny amount of his explosive pace and power (and that really has sadly made all the difference), Mane was ahead of Mo for me, before Covid and the CB injuries last season our left side was our strongest for me and Mo benefitted a lot from the space that afforded him, Mane's record in Champions League knock out games speaks volumes and how close he was to goals scored to Mo despite Mo taking pens

So many to pick from. We should base it on competitions as Kelleher, Minamino would miss out for their League cup achievements.
    League: Going with Trent, what he provides us going forward is insane without his assists we'd be nowhere near where we are
    UCL: VVD, lost one game with him in defence, which luckily counted for nothing, but was a colossus throughout.
    FA Cup: Undecided

Trent's essential for making the play from deep when Fab's at No6, it's a team game though, if you watch the full passage of play of a great many of his assists in open play from this season in particular, Mo and Hendo are hugely involved in working the opposition players and creating the time and space for him to arrive in to deliver, those 2 players are involved in the majority of his assists from open play and Captain fantastic's supporting him to play higher up to further develop his skills and the variation of his use of them counts for a lot in my view too and that's been happening since 2018-2019

The question is not how good all these players are. Like Jota for example. But how much the team needs them to be playing to function at its highest level.

If Jota is out, Firmino, Diaz and Divock allow us to play in variations of the same way. But if Trent is out, we have to find a new way to attack - and it isn’t as effective. That’s my view.

I don't necessarily agree with that Taskin, all three players on our right make that flank function at it's best, whether Hendo's at No6 or RCM No8 he is usually the one to find and release Trent in time and space to assist and we get some of the balls we have to rely on Trent to play from deeper from No6 when he plays there in pace of Fab to -

Overall, biggest influence on the team as a whole is Hendo for me, that's why he's Captain, that's why even usually 'anyone but Liverpool' pundits like tactics Tim, Dublin and others rave about the importance of his know how and nous and give him immense credit for results and performances in games our match thread for is frankly embarrassing

There is an over reliance on Trent's distribution from deep with Fab at No6, and, when Mo doesn't start Trent can struggle because the constant movement and runs in behind to open the space for him and others isn't there - Trent can also struggle when we have Oxlade, Jones or Elliott at RCM as they don't cover his forward run or get on the ball deeper inside to release his runs, often occupy his space and don't work with Mo to move opposition players and manipulate the space for him to arrive in to cross - It really isn't anywhere like as cut and dried as you are suggesting

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    The question is not how good all these players are. Like Jota for example. But how much the team needs them to be playing to function at its highest level.

If Jota is out, Firmino, Diaz and Divock allow us to play in variations of the same way. But if Trent is out, we have to find a new way to attack - and it isn’t as effective. That’s my view.
    Seems you're asking a different question than whose the most influential player.
    Your parameters seems to be asking whose hardest to replace.
    Or who has the worst cover.

Jota or Mane or Diaz could not possibly be the most influential player with your caveat. Which seems a little silly.

Finding a new way and adapting are part of the game.

If it's who is hardest to replace, then we know the answer.

He'll pass the ball, calm as you like...'