Page 104 of 115 FirstFirst ... 45494979899100101102103104105106107108109110111114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1144

Thread: Football News

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    yeah very random. pointless really (excuse the pun)
    A punishment without punishing them per se

So I'm beginning to see multiple reports and outlets reporting that the club might have settled on Amorim as Klopp's successor and there's even talk of a 3 year offer on the table with personal terms not considered a problem.

Normally I don't believe these sort of reports and rumours until I begin to see them popping up in multiple different places, and this one seems to be gaining traction over the past day or so.
    There also seems to be a lot of noise coming from Portuguese outlets about it and something big in the offing in the next day or so.

I don't know anything about him, so hopefully Kop-on-portugal can fill us in on his Portuguese league creds.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some 'Villas Boas' fears and concerns about this dude.

A young promising manager from Portgual with lots of potential and people singing his praises - apparently a winner, but never having been tested outside of the Portuguese league?
    How could it possibly go wrong?

I guess, as long as he doesn't call himself "The Special One" in his first news conference......

Hopefully also, we shouldn't be expecting an influx of Portuguese league players.
    We might be getting just a bit of some buyer's remorse over here from the last major buy we had from there......
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I don't know anything about him, so hopefully Kop-on-portugal can fill us in on his Portuguese league creds.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some 'Villas Boas' fears and concerns about this dude.

A young promising manager from Portgual with lots of potential and people singing his praises - apparently a winner, but never having been tested outside of the Portuguese league?
    The Shortlist thread has had bits and pieces about Amorim from a few posters.

Here's a link to a Josh Williams piece - https://distancecovered.substack.com/p/how-good-is-ruben-amorim?utm_campaign=email-post&r=3gcggz&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Just a couple of pros on him -

- He won Sporting their first League title in 19 years
    - They play excellent, vertical, transitional football
    - A lot of similarities to Klopp's style so the adjustment period shouldn't be enormous
    - Similar xGa (expected goals against) to Arsenal which indicates being pretty lean about conceding chances
    - Charismatic manager, speaks English quite well
    - Regularly sell some of their best players but remain competitive
    - Regularly brings youth players through

Whether this is a move too soon for him remains to be seen (not confirmed anyway!) but we'll be using a Data-based approach and he will be given access to a better squad than he has in Portugal.

Do I think he will win the title in his first season or two for us? Probably not - winning the League with us is hard going. Do I think he can keep us in the Champion's League places while we adjust to his new ways and then build further for going into 25/26 and 26/27, having a lot of fun along the way? Yes I do.

Football News thread will be the one to keep an eye on for appointments, but I imagine most of the pros/cons of a candidate will continue in the Shortlist thread, so cast the odd glance over it on the coming weeks.

Andreas Schlumberger will leave #LFC at the end of the season.
    The club's head of recovery and performance will return to Germany when the curtain comes down on Klopp’s tenure as manager. His exit is amicable.

It’s fuckin tremendous news is what it is.

A back three is a shit idea

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    A back three is a shit idea
    What's your biggest concern about the possibility Nineteen?

- Being a man short in midfield-to-attack when transitioning?
    - The spaces left to either side of the outer centre-backs (behind the full-backs) not being covered when the opposition counters?
    - Our own counter-attacks being blunted due to their lack of width as our wing-backs are behind the ball that gets played upfield?
    - Something else / all of the above?

The Premier League's Profit and Sustainability rules will stay in place for next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68790602

I have my doubts on a back 3 as well
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    So I'm beginning to see multiple reports and outlets reporting that the club might have settled on Amorim as Klopp's successor and there's even talk of a 3 year offer on the table with personal terms not considered a problem.

Normally I don't believe these sort of reports and rumours until I begin to see them popping up in multiple different places, and this one seems to be gaining traction over the past day or so.
    There also seems to be a lot of noise coming from Portuguese outlets about it and something big in the offing in the next day or so.

I guess, as long as he doesn't call himself "The Special One" in his first news conference......

Hopefully also, we shouldn't be expecting an influx of Portuguese league players.
    We might be getting just a bit of some buyer's remorse over here from the last major buy we had from there......
    Cheers, mate.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!