Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mane at No9

Mane at No9

Well, WHAT a player, if you look at Mane's history at LFC and how he's developed into new positions and taken on new challenges and got on with it, he's absolutely phenomenal

Started at RFWD, was brilliant, really invented and innovated that role for Mo to then play it as he did when he came in.

When Mo was brought in, Mane was shifted out of the role he'd played and developed so superbly over the LFWD position, in which he was once again simply superb, scoring many of our most vital and important break through goals time and time again and in combination with Robbo both supported by Gini playing LCM controller making our left side our most, potent and devastating and the best in world football

Then Covid struck Mane and struck him hard, and he lost just a little bit of the explosive acceleration off the mark, pace and strength that helped him get so many of his goals and assists

Now however, and I will be the very first to admit while he was learning his third new position I was far from convinced, Mane has done it again and made himself a VERY good player at No9 and perhaps, just perhaps our best, because he has all those games playing at LFWD and RFWD and he's started drifting into either position to score crucial goals

I cannot praise Mane highly enough, he is an absolutely incredible person and human being first and foremost and he is an absolutely incredible football player. On top of scoring 2 goals today, Mane's pressing and counter pressing was phenomenal, he Diaz and Keita really set the tone for the entire team.

I really hope, REALLY hope that through our ability to rotate, and for Mane and other players to put absolutely everything into every game being as near 100% as possible then maybe have a rest in the next game, that somehow, just maybe, through pushing himself as hard as he did in today's game, with more rest afterwards, his former peak levels of pace and power might just return over time.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I was calling for Mane at 9 for a while previously!
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I was calling for Mane at 9 for a while previously!
    Looking a very good shout, he's such an intelligent player and learns these roles and adapts to them so well, and right now, he's far more likely to assist from there than Bobby or Jota and as likely to score as Jota, so he's probably our best option for No9 right now, he could even promote a more fluid front 3 with his drifting into the RFWD and LFWD positions encouraging the players in those positions to come into the No9 position

he stank the place out there for a fair number of games to be fair and I again admit I had severe doubts over him being employed there, but he's absolutely nailed it now on the evidence of his last 2 or 3 games at No9
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Class is permanent...

It should be remembered that a lot of us (including myself) were calling for him to be dropped/deemed his time at the club was done this time last season.

We should all take note of Salah's drop in form. And Robbo, and Hendo, Fab, Nabby, Trent et al...

These lads have been absolutely top drawer for 3 or 4 years. They'll all have a drop in form, they're all human (maybe Virgil aside ) but we all know what they can do.

Top, top group of players with the best manager in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    It should be remembered that a lot of us (including myself) were calling for him to be dropped/deemed his time at the club was done this time last season.
    Mane does this. It goes right back to his Southampton days as well. He can blow a bit hot and cold (brilliant player overall, not a knock) and he blows cold he can look pretty useless for a number of weeks and it's tempting to think "ah, is this the decline setting in?" but wait long enough and he becomes a Beast again.

He has been fabulous. We try to block most of the match out of our minds because of how it worked out in the end, but it's worth remembering that he has scored in a Champion's League Final for us.

I'd absolutely love him to do so again - against Real Madrid again - except this time we win the bloody thing. Would be absolutely dreamy.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Class is permanent...

We should all take note of Salah's drop in form. And Robbo, and Hendo, Fab, Nabby, Trent et al...

These lads have been absolutely top drawer for 3 or 4 years. They'll all have a drop in form, they're all human (maybe Virgil aside ) but we all know what they can do.

100%. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Mane does this. It goes right back to his Southampton days as well. He can blow a bit hot and cold (brilliant player overall, not a knock) and he blows cold he can look pretty useless for a number of weeks and it's tempting to think "ah, is this the decline setting in?" but wait long enough and he becomes a Beast again.

He has been fabulous. We try to block most of the match out of our minds because of how it worked out in the end, but it's worth remembering that he has scored in a Champion's League Final for us.

I'd absolutely love him to do so again - against Real Madrid again - except this time we win the bloody thing. Would be absolutely dreamy.
    Yes!
    I'd love it to be us who put the knife into that team and kill them off.
    They've been punching above their weight for too long and need putting down, like an old woman hanging around with young lasses who still thinks she's got it, then suddenly it dawns on them. They haven't anymore.

Class is permanent...

Exactly remember when Salah was banging it felt like 4 goals a game he isn’t on top form and the AFCON has ruined him abit.

One thing he needs to do is pass the ball ten yards to a team mate in space so we can wrap games up !

Next two games won’t be easy no matter what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Exactly remember when Salah was banging it felt like 4 goals a game he isn’t on top form and the AFCON has ruined him abit.

One thing he needs to do is pass the ball ten yards to a team mate in space so we can wrap games up !

Next two games won’t be easy no matter what people think.
    I'm thinking if there's a spanner going in its in one of the next 2. Get through them unscathed and we'll win it on the last day. 🙂

So is it Mane in and Mo out now at the end of the season ? It's hard to keep up .