Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Melo

Arthur Melo

James Horncastle

Italian football writer on BBC Radio 5 Live
    I think Juventus fans are in two mind about this. On the one hand, they think 'hang on a minute, Liverpool want this player, Jurgen Klopp wants this player.'

We've seen Juventus players go to the Premier League in the last six months, Dejan Kulusevski, Rodrigo Bentancur and do well, better for Tottenham than they did for Juventus. Is this what's going to happen with Arthur at Liverpool?

On the other hand, Arthur has had two seasons at Juventus to do something, he hasn't really done anything. That's largely because he hasn't been able to get on the pitch, he's had long protracted injury problems. This time last year he underwent surgery which kept him out. Arthur was supposed to be the poster boy of a transition at Juventus, away from the Juventus DNA into something new and different.

He was a [Maurizio] Sarri signing but Sarri was sacked a month after Arthur signed. They then appointed Andrea Pirlo who wanted to play a style of football that I think would have got the best out of Arthur but the midfield was still incomplete and Pirlo was sacked after a year of being unable to really use Arthur.

Now Juventus have gone back to Max Allegri and the style of football is different. They want more physicality and robustness in midfield and they've gone in a different direction. Arthur has wanted to leave for the last six months, he was linked with Arsenal, those links were true.

He wants to play regular first-team football in order to be in contention for the Brazil squad in Qatar. It's been a very disappointing two years for Arthur and Juventus even though he did win a couple of trophies.

It's a fresh start for Arthur but Liverpool will be hoping they get the player that Barcelona thought they were getting from Gremio rather than the player who has had two lacklustre years at Juventus.
    "I am the Normal One."

'Arthur is what Liverpool are missing'

Raphael Honigstein
    German football journalist on BBC Radio 5 Live
    Arthur is a real technical player, I think he is what Liverpool are missing. He might not necessarily be a starter but he can come in at certain moments in time and I think he gives them the depth that they're missing at the moment.

New Liverpool signing Arthur Melo told the club website: "I’m really, really happy to be here wearing this great shirt with this famous badge that represents so much in world football, it’s a dream.

"We talked a lot, and our ideas and visions were a good fit so I’m sure it was the right choice. I’m really happy and highly motivated to continue living my dream on the pitch and giving my all in a Liverpool shirt.

"Liverpool have a wonderful history in football. I’ve played against Liverpool, I know what it feels like to be in the stadium with the fans behind them.

"I was with the opposition and now I’m on the right side so I’m really excited. It’s a massive club with a great manager, great players. As I said before, it’s a dream to be here."

Juventus have just announced the details of Arthur's loan to Liverpool.

And there's some potential good news for the Reds with a purchase clause in the deal.

Liverpool can sign him permanently for £32m (37.5m euros) if they wish.

The loan fee is about £4m.

Another useless midget like Thiago

Touted as one of Brazil's great prospects, Arthur Melo has since lost some of his "magic", but a move to Liverpool could kickstart his career and solve the Reds' midfield dilemma.

The 26-year-oldarrives at Anfield on a season-long loan from Juventus to ease the Premier League club's growing injury concerns, with Jordan Henderson, Thiago Alcantara, Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain all currently absent.

A loan move for Arthur may prove the ideal stopgap, though the Brazilian will also be a valuable asset if he can deliver on his potential.

"Arthur is seen in Brazil as a player of enormous potential, who left Gremio as one of the best in the country between 2017 and 2018," Brazilian journalist Jorge Natan tells BBC Sport.

With it being a loan deal, we have almost nothing to lose.

If he ends up a crock, we were collectively crocked in midfield anyway - and he'll depart in a year.

No long contract on high wages. It's very low-risk.

With luck and getting a couple back we can rotate some of the most injury-prone lads (Thiago, Jones, Keita) so they're only ever playing 45-60 minutes and Arthur can be used to compliment that process of protecting as many as possible.

We needed a body. A low-risk addition for a year with intent of playing his way into the thinking of his international Manager that was wanted at different times by Barcelona and Juventus is hardly a disaster of an option.

Let's hope he can get a few goals or assists in key games before May. If he helps us Weather the awkward fixture congestion of the next 11 League games (plus Cup competition) up until the World Cup, all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Another useless midget like Thiago
    I’m just hoping he’s a bit like Arfur in Peeky Blinders 😁

Thanks for all the info miller.

It’s a no brainer. I am happy, he has genuine quality. Now let’s hope he can stay fit and work his way into contention.

Coulda been worse coulda signed Martha instead of Arthur
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century